Author Topic: OT - Trying to find old movie  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Trying to find old movie
« on: August 01, 2003, 04:09:34 AM »
I've been trying to locate a movie for almost 30 years.  I posted about this several years ago on the SciFi BB and got some good suggestions, but while they turned out to be good, none were what I'm looking for.  Since there are so many different people here now, including some who seem to be movie experts, I thought I'd try again.

If, by any chance, you recognize it, PLEASE don't reveal what happens, EVEN AS A SPOILER ALERT!!

It's a war movie.  I imagine one of the World Wars and probably II, but I really don't know about any of that.  I think it was black and white.

I call it a 2-person movie.  Perhaps there were scenes with other people at the beginning and end.  Perhaps they even cut away from the main part to show other things happening during the movie, but all I recall is the one man and one woman and their encounter.

They are from opposites sides of the war.  I believe they already knew each other and perhaps had already been involved.  They have to take refuge in a cabin (because of a storm or something) and spend the night there together.

It keeps going back and forth.  At one moment the woman is holding the gun on the man and saying she'll turn him over to her side in the morning.  Then, they get all "lovey-dovey" again and one thinks they'll just go together and no one will turn anyone in.  Then, it reverses and he's holding the gun on her, etc.

Aside from all the suspense (and I have no idea which way it came out), it also played with the viewer's emotions, so that at one point you want the person from "our" side to prevail and then you want them just to get together, etc.  That's why I don't want even a spoiler indication of what happens!!

Anyhow, any time I've seen a listing for a war movie or anything that sounds like it could be it, I've watched it.  I've yet to find it.  During most of 1972 I was living in New York and I saw it on late night television there.  A couple of times I started checking out the New York Times on microfilm at the library to check the movie listings for those months to see if I could locate it, but never got very far.
Josette

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Trying to find old movie
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 08:29:19 AM »
I'm afraid I can't direct you to a movie, Josette, but this sounds an awful lot like a Twilight Zone episode called "Two" (Elizabeth Montgomery was in it.)  The man and woman were soldiers from opposite sides, the lone survivors of a nuclear holocaust, and they had to struggle with both a growing mutual attraction and the old mutual hatred with which they had been indoctrinated if they were to survive.  It was in B&W, but apart from Rod Serling, there were hardly any lines and therefore no dramatic dialogue.  Could this have been what you saw?

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 08:59:31 AM »
I'm afraid I can't direct you to a movie, Josette, but this sounds an awful lot like a Twilight Zone episode called "Two" (Elizabeth Montgomery was in it.)  The man and woman were soldiers from opposite sides, the lone survivors of a nuclear holocaust, and they had to struggle with both a growing mutual attraction and the old mutual hatred with which they had been indoctrinated if they were to survive.  It was in B&W, but apart from Rod Serling, there were hardly any lines and therefore no dramatic dialogue.  Could this have been what you saw?

Hi Prof.Stokes, we must think alike (two Aries!!)  because this is the first thing that came to mind when I read Josette's post.  I believe the actor who played opposite Elizabeth Montgomery was Charles Bronson.  I remember that the woman didn't speak any English so it was a bit hard for the two of them to communicate, but they managed to understand one another.  It was a good episode of The Twilight Zone.

(Josette does any of these ring a bell?)

I hope this helps Josette,  this is the only show that I can think of that describes what you're saying.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 02:23:31 AM »
I'm afraid not!  I'm sure it was a movie.  The last time someone suggested a Twilight Zone and I looked it up (I don't remember if it's the one you're referring to here or not), but it wasn't it.

For one thing, there was no question of the one not speaking the language.  They both definitely talked to each other.

Also, it wasn't a "lone survivor" type of thing.  When one of them was holding the gun on the other, there was a definite intention of turning them over to their forces the next day.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 06:47:27 AM »
Josette,

Could the man have been played by David McCallum?  This is a plot summary for the 1969 movie La Cattura (aka The Ravine); I'm pasting it from its page on IMDb so that the spoiler you wanted to avoid could be omitted:

McCallum plays a WWII German special agent assigned to take out a team of Titov resistance fighters in Yugoslavia. He locates their leader in a camp within a ravine in the dead of winter. However, the leader's code name beliest that the resistance is being led by a resourceful young woman. After McCallum captures her, a heavy blizzard strikes the ravine, forcing him to take shelter with her in her cabin. The storms seals them away from the war, and they develop an attraction for one another. Eventually, the weather clears and he must make a decision: to take her prisoner or to turn her loose. [spoiler snipped]

It's in color, but it aired on TV at one time and seems to fit your description.  Click here to see images from the movie

*fingers crossed*

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 04:47:56 PM »
 :D :D Midnite :D :D

I went to IMDB & found the same thing...but didn't think it was right!!

Hoping for Josette,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 04:23:25 AM »
Midnite (and Patti!), I have no idea who was in it, so that part is possible!  It doesn't quite sound like it, yet a lot of it certainly does seem similar, and it's the closest sounding thing I've ever come across!!  So, now I have to see if I find it somewhere and find out!

Thank you for the suggestion.  If I ever see it, I'll let you know! :)
Josette

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 04:46:14 PM »
No clue on your movie, but if you're anxious enough to part with a couple of bucks to find out you could try posting a question on Google Answers.
http://answers.google.com

Another site (free) to try: http://www.allmovie.com
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2003, 03:14:13 AM »
Thank you for the links, Luciaphil!  I've often wondered if there was a way to search on the Internet or a movie forum where there'd be lots of "experts."  Since I didn't have enough specifics (name of any actor or anything to search by), there didn't seem to be much of a chance.  I'll look into those at some point!  :)
Josette