Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 454422 times)

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
With the move set in the 70s, are we sure this is a remake, and not a direct sequel to the original series just with a new cast? It seems unlikely, but given the time period it's set in now, it's not out of the question.
For what it's worth, I've read both of Seth Grahame-Smith's books. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was fun in an absurb comedy way, but I loved Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. It was dark, but deep, and full of love for the title character and lots of history. I gained a greater intrest in the historic Lincoln, the story was chock full of history, and left me thinking this guy could probably do justice to Dark Shadows.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I agree QUENTIN COLLINS. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was dark, deep and full of love for his title character. YOU hit it right on the head.

And to Nancy, thanks for the comment about my original post about the Revival!

I remain optimistic! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
When the rest of you read that it's going to be "campy" or "funny" do you even for a minute believe who ever says it? Do you think right away "they don't really mean that" or "they don't funny that way"? I'm not asking to be funny. These statements really make me fear for the movie and I don't want to.

If you go back to page 89 of this topic to when Zanuck's description of the script as "very funny" first came up, you'll see that that's exactly how many of us reacted. And with every further description of it being funny, we've continued to try to explain away the remarks and/or relate them in some way to how the original series had funny moments. No one wants to believe the Depp/DS film will actually be a comedy. But maybe we're all just in denial. After all, practically since the first hint that Burton would direct there have been fears of what he would do to DS. Though as with the funny descriptions, we've tried to find aspects of Burton's work that aren't as quirky as his reputation leads one to expect of him, and we've held onto them steadfastly. Let's just hope that those original fears about Burton aren't about to be realized and there really are ways to reconcile the "very funny" remarks and still have the film be a Gothic love story as well...

Though at the same time I am reminded of this video parody of Burton:
This is PROBABLY a stereotype [snow_wink], but this is the kind of thing about a Burton DS that I fret about--- and IMO, rather funny (rated PG for slightly profane):

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1929453

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
QuentinCollins, I too have thought about the possibility of it being a sequel, though I think what is probably more likely is that this movie will set up the actual sequel, by replaying several main themes - Barnabas and Josette, Liz and Paul, etc.  Then, the actual sequel material would follow in the... .well... sequels.  But considering the fact that Angelique is very hip, very cool, and very '70s, I can't help but think that we actually might get to see a Leviathan-era Angelique who has that unique relationship with Barnabas that she had.  And, other than what she did with Maggie and Quentin, I really loved the mod Angelique.  However, I find it hard to imagine if Barnabas was just let out of his coffin and hadn't seen her in 200 years - unless she didn't curse him and never truly loved him - that there would be ANY love between them.  Because I can't imagine a loving relationship if Angelique is trying to mess up Barnabas's plans with a new Josette right after he was let out of his coffin.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i'm very surprised to read the description of the movie angelique as being "very powerful in town".

this suggests that the character is already well established in collinsport when the story begins rather than being introduced in a flashback or being conjured up as in previous versions of the story.

considering this hasn't even begun filming isn't talk of sequels a bit premature?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
MB, I'm glad to know that more people share my fears for the new movie. I'm thankful that you took the time to post that.
May you die before you want too.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I really and truely don't care if "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" is the best book of the last 150 years. I will never, ever agree with someone turning one of America's greatest real life heros into a fictional superhero. It's wrong, it doesn't matter how good the book is.

I feel just as strongly about the idea that someone would take a classic work of literature and a few pages and then be arrogant enough to claim co-authorship. I don't see how one can claim to co-author a book without input from the other authors involed.

For those reasons I will never be a fan of anyone that does that.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I dunno, all signs point to "laffs" so far. But it's important to remember that when Burton tries (Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood), he can mix funny with poignant rather well. And Tim Burton's such an aesthete that the 70s setting makes as much sense as the constant comments that it will be funny.

Everything I've heard says brace yourselves for an over the top love letter to the TV show- Depp and Burton playing dress up and goofing around in a nostalgic sandbox.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I honestly will never understand why you feel it's wrong to turn Abraham Lincoln into a SUPERHERO; however, I will always respect your opinion B. 

As for Dark Shadows, I am continuing to keep an open mind.  It's not going to please everyone, hell it may not please anyone but I am glad that someone it's trying to keep it's spirit alive and that someone is one of the biggest stars in our star galaxy today. His new movie Rango is wonderful and getting rave reviews.  I have never been disappointed with anything Johnny has done thus far and I don't think that as long as my mind stays open I will be disappointed with DS.

And again, this is going to bring all kinds of exposure to fests, fandom, and the old DS and that is never a bad thing in my humble opinion!

So here is to DS, whether it's a cult classic or a box office smash hit!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
When I watch 1897, we spend a great deal of time laughing. Quentin is written, appropriately, like and Oscar Wilde character complete with little epigrams that crack me up. Buffy is the same way, especially in the early seasons. If that's what's meant by DS being "funny" I don't have a problem with it.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
At the risk of sounding like a "broken record" or scratched CD for the post vinyl LP crowd, I'll gladly live with anything Burton and Depp give us if it results in a restored NODS.  I've been waiting for that for over a decade. I just hope it gets done. After that, anything else is icing on the cake.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
When I watch 1897, we spend a great deal of time laughing. Quentin is written, appropriately, like and Oscar Wilde character complete with little epigrams that crack me up. Buffy is the same way, especially in the early seasons. If that's what's meant by DS being "funny" I don't have a problem with it.

And I think that's exactly the sort of funny most of us are hoping for. The dialogue during the 1897 period was some of the best of the series. So, if the film's dialogue is anything like that, I for one will be very happy.

And there's also something else to keep in mind: even IF the film does turn out to be a horror comedy, it will be a "dark," "scary," and "bloody" comedy because Depp, Zanuck, and Green have respectively described the script as being those things as well, and we shouldn't lose sight of that.

I just wish I was more familiar with Beetlejuice because I have no idea what to take from Green's description of the script as a mixture of Sweeney Todd and Beetlejuice...

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I love Beetlejuice, it's one of my all time favorite Tim Burton movies. It's a great movie but not what I want anything DS to be like.

Sweeney Todd I didn't like at all. I bought it because I wanted to like it. I had to watch it twice to see it all because it put me to sleep the first time. I hope DS is nothing like it.

Given the choice I'd go for a Beetlejuice lookalike, even a beetlejuice wannabe than to even have it compaired to Sweeney Todd. Maybe I'll watch it a few more times to try and get a taste for it, if that can happen.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I love Bettlejuice. I would call it a dark comedy.  I hope DS doesn't err towards being as comedic as Bettlejuice. MB, if you have Netflix or any DVD rental place I suggest renting Bettlejuice. It's one of my favorite 80's movies and it's definately worth checking out.

As for 1897, there are some great lines in that sequence.  Quentin gets many although Edward can get some great ones.  One that comes to mind is "Seeing Edward is reason enough to want to die!"  LOL

As for Sweeney Todd, while it isn't my favorite DEPP/BURTON movie,  I do like the tone of the movie and I would rather the movie have that kind of tone.  We shall see.....

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Actually, given Green's remark, I'm almost afraid to check out Beetlejuice. But one thing I do keep reminding myself is that, while it isn't a comedy, Sleepy Hollow definitely has some very funny moments to it. Moments that come from out of character and don't make fun of the characters. So long as nothing about the Depp/DS film's script makes fun of the characters or DS itself (like Burton's remark about the flies did during last year's interview on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross) and the laughs come  from, say, the predicaments characters may find themselves in (like Barn dealing with "modern" conveniences) or the remarks they might make or the barbs they might throw at each other, I can accept the funny. And I find it hard to imagine that KLS would describe a script as "marvelous" if it actually does make fun of DS and/or the characters...