Author Topic: What did people think that Barnabas and Julia were doing? When not there ??  (Read 2887 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
I really wondered if everyone thought that Julia and Barnabas were having a wild affair.  Just great friends or were people just only in their own space.  I know that there were comments.   [shockeyes]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

Well it was hardly a secret Barnabas and Julia were really good friends....plus a lot of the time they spent their evenings together, heck at times Julia spent all day or some days there....they were even together wee late into the night at times....I always wondered if that didn't send a few tongues wagging.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Who knows what the local town gossips or the family thought.  But I feel that had they become a couple and announced an impending marriage, the whole family would have been thrilled.  Liz of course would have thrown them the hugest wedding/reception at Collinwood ever too.  ;)  Hell, let's face it, as long as Julia lived at CW, she was probably considered family anyway not to mention that she'd definately earned squatters rights!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
I would love to think there were long intimite nights but I doubt it.  Barnabas' comment keeps coming back that they are just good friends and nothing more.  So I'd say they talked a great deal, had quiet time reading and then sharing what they read, studied the upcoming family disaster that was waiting for their attention before traveling back in time.  Maybe Barnabas sat staring at Julia while she worked, thinking of changing his mind about their relationship but never following through.  That is a possibility.  ;D
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Have you all gone completely bonkers?!!! Julia was interviewing Barnabas for her novel about the Collinses history of course! I mean, what else would they be doing?   ;D
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
No, it was a biography of Eric Lang.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile

OH!!!......the HORROR!!!!

[haironend]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
There are different answers for this depending on where in the story we are. At first they probably thought Julia was interviewing Barnabas about the family history since he had so much knowledge concerning this. This was during the time when [spoiler]they didn't yet know she was a doctor and while she was giving him injections and he was threatening her life every five seconds[/spoiler]

Then after they learned she was a doctor, there would be a difference in their perception of what they were doing with the time they were together at the Old House. Julia was often spending the night, or since no one ever sleeps at night on this show, they were busy dealing with whatever the present danger was. They realized Barnabas and Julia were working together on something, and based on what each character knew about the present danger, they'd either think they're working together to find answers or they were just spending time together as friends. If they thought there was a romance going on, they'd start to watch them while they were together. Since there were no looks of love or romance (at least on Barn's part) maybe if they were astute, they'd realize that Julia loved Barnabas but he did not return her affection. It seems that no one decided to step in and help matters along though, like maybe suggesting that Barnabas take Julia out to dinner or even plotting such a thing themselves. They were always too busy with the present danger to think of such things as this.

Alondra

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

OH!!!......the HORROR!!!!

Thankfully that was just a cover story Julia gave [spoiler]Jeff to supposedly explain away why they had Lang's papers. And, of course, that cover went out the window as soon as Jeff figured out the truth.[/spoiler] So, I suspect no one else really believed that or were even told it in the first place.  ;)

What is amusing, though, is that even after Julia admitted she was a doctor, she claimed to Liz that she really was writing a book. Funny how that book seems to have never shown up. Something tells me that even Liz figured out eventually that it was all just a bunch of BS.  :D

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
What is amusing, though, is that even after Julia admitted she was a doctor, she claimed to Liz that she really was writing a book. Funny how that book seems to have never shown up.

Not to mention the fact that a book of that nature had very recently been written, by whom we never learn, but wasn't the Family History Book that Vickie took to 1795 published in like 1960 or something?  Why on earth wouldn't Liz tell Julia, "No thanks, but we've just had a book done and don't need another one so soon."   [hdscrt]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Re: What did people think that Barnabas and Julia were doing? When not there ??
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »
The book wasn't only to be about the Collinses, it was supposed to include other New England families. Remember [spoiler]Burke questioned her about what other families she was planning to write about and she side stepped the question.[/spoiler] That may explain why Liz allowed her to stay and get notes to write the book, though you'd think she might just refer her to the latest edition of the history book. I'm sure that when Liz invited her to stay she didn't plan on four years though lol!

Alondra

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 06:36:44 PM »
I'm sure that when Liz invited her to stay she didn't plan on four years though lol!

No shit!  She was the house guest who wouldn't leave!  LOL!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 06:45:28 PM »
But they had a DR that made house calls, and always had something to help the situation. I wonder how much time and money got spent sending for the DR's. Julia had so many specialties.  [cheer]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 06:51:58 PM »
But they had a DR that made house calls, and always had something to help the situation.

Ah yes, she WAS Dr. Feelgood, what w/her steady supply of sedatives and all.  I'd call her about EVERY day, LOL!  ;)  Yeah Julia, you can live in my house for as long as you desire, just keep the 'candy' flowing.   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 07:58:45 PM »
What did people think they were doing?

um, the Montster Mash?

*runs and hides*

;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.