Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #164  (Read 14391 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: ShadowGram Update #164
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 04:06:50 AM »
Anyone notice the cat's out of the bag about the surprise cameo in the DS audio dramas?.... It's in the audio dramas news section in SG.  Very cool news!

- Penny
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 05:05:51 AM »
I recall booking my reservation for Brooklyn the day I found out when and where the Fest was scheduled.  And I'm CERTAIN it wasn't as early as January.  I don't have paperwork that would tell me for sure, but I'm thinking it was no earlier than March.

I think it just SEEMS like forever..... ;)
I no longer have the paperwork for my reservation, but I believe I made my reservation in late December.

Well, the bad news to me is, when I did go on the official festival site today, under "Current News," it was worded something like this: "Plans are in the works for another fun DS event this year but aren't finalized. It will be announced soon."

Another "fun DS event?" That, to me, does not sound like a typical festival, and yes, it is late! Last year, I'd already made my hotel reservations by this point.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 05:19:59 AM »
Another "fun DS event?" That, to me, does not sound like a typical festival
Are they usually not fun for you?  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 05:23:37 AM »
 [6283]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »
I no longer have the paperwork for my reservation, but I believe I made my reservation in late December.
But even if it took that long for the room rate info. to become available, the dates and location for the 2006 Festival were listed in the program for the 2005 Fest.  That means for five months, people knew when and where the Fest would be even before they were able to make reservations. The dates and location for the 2005 Fest were announced in October, 2004 and the location of the 2004 Fest was announced at the 2003 banquet.

My hotel reservations were made LONG before this date last year as well, but then we knew it was going to be in NYC when it was, unlike this year.  I agree that just knowing when and where isn't too much to ask, what's the hold-up w/that info anyway?   [hdscrt]  I don't know, maybe Jim's trying to pin down the best time for KLS to attend!  LOL!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »
Another "fun DS event?" That, to me, does not sound like a typical festival
Are they usually not fun for you?  ;D

Of course, they're fun for me. What raised my suspicion was the wording. It didn't actually say "festival." My fear is, it could just be a one-day event, such as was held for Halloween. In that case, I doubt seriously many people would fly to wherever it is just for one day.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 06:26:33 PM »
Of course, they're fun for me. What raised my suspicion was the wording. It didn't actually say "festival."

Well, TECHNICALLY, they haven't had a FESTIVAL since 2003.  After that they started calling them WEEKENDS, even though they ARE Festivals still.  ;)  I wouldn't put too much stock in how it's worded on the site, I'm SURE it will be a 3 day 'event', as in, a 3 day Festival/Weekend.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 08:08:46 PM »
Well, TECHNICALLY, they haven't had a FESTIVAL since 2003.  After that they started calling them WEEKENDS, even though they ARE Festivals still.  ;)  I wouldn't put too much stock in how it's worded on the site, I'm SURE it will be a 3 day 'event', as in, a 3 day Festival/Weekend.

I hope so, Buzz. I so look forward to them every year. I love catching up with friends I've met and meeting new ones. Of course, I enjoy all the events, as well, particularly the banquet and doing skits with the Collinsport Players. I've done two of them now, and it's just such a blast! They are so much fun!

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 02:53:01 AM »
By "fun event" I assume--- perhaps mistakenly, perhaps, I hope, not--- that they mean a one-day gig like last autumn.  So if that's the case, and it's in CA, I certainly won't be booking a flight and a room for one day, nor, one supposes will a lot of people.
And they're not likely to fly out a clutch of actors for a one-day affair in NY or central-USA location (if they ever actually considered it.)  As it was, I read that a couple of the announced actors didn't attend in October as it was  I wouldn't expect many west-coast fans to attend a "brief encounter" over here, either.
So  referring to a "fun event"instead of at least a "weekend" might be cause for a minor degree of apprehension amongst some of us. Here's hoping something more substantial comes our way.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 02:42:56 PM »
A one day event or in the Halloween event an evening would not be enough to fly me out to either coast. I think both areas have enough fans to support a small day or evening gathering. As long as the key players show up (KLS,Selby,Lara etc) that would be ok with most fans who are going for something small. As far as anyone making sales from books,videos etc that would be a loss. With Kathryn's business savy I'm surprised she could have her company organize an event.
I like everyone else cannot sit for months and then in a few months notice try and get good airfare and hope no one else at work has requested time off.
PS- I checked my receipts and saw last year I made my reservation in March. I had procrastinated and was worried the hotel would be booked. It almost was when we made the reservations at that time.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 06:18:57 PM »
last summer i went to a new york screening of "the healing gardens" with alexandra isles in attendance.

i remember distictly that the home video version of this film was available for $29.95.i posted ordering information about it at the time.i'm very surprised to see it being sold on dvd for $295.00.that's pretty outrageous.

here's a "charitable" idea.if ms.isles wants to sell a signifigant number of these dvds she could of course attend next years fest(if there is one),price them fairly,offer to autograph a purchased copy(you know i'd be first in line)and donate the proceeds to her charitable works. ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 06:37:26 PM »
last summer i went to a new york screening of "the healing gardens" with alexandra isles in attendance.

i remember distictly that the home video version of this film was available for $29.95.i posted ordering information about it at the time.i'm very surprised to see it being sold on dvd for $295.00.that's pretty outrageous.

here's a "charitable" idea.if ms.isles wants to sell a signifigant number of these dvds she could of course attend next years fest(if there is one),price them fairly,offer to autograph a purchased copy(you know i'd be first in line)and donate the proceeds to her charitable works. ;)

I completely agree! $295 for a DVD? Please! But, if she did go to a festival, she certainly could do well. Fans would line up (I'd be right behind you, mscbryk!). Too, it would promote some good will toward her. She's snubbed the fans for too long, and I feel resentment from some.

David

In Defense of Alexandra
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 06:45:42 PM »
RE: her snubbing of fans:

I know of one fan who went to a screening of her second film with more than 25 (!!!!) items for her to sign.

I know of several others who, by their own admission, can't wait to ask her about the Von Bulow affair, a subject NO ONE WHO CARES ABOUT HER WOULD BROACH!!!!!

Here's  a personal story:
in 1982 Alexandra was still in the NYC phonebook.
I wrote her & asked if it was OK for me to leave ONE ITEM ONLY with her building doorman for her to sign.
She wrote back & said yes.
I was living in NYC at the time.

I left the first Marilyn Ross paperback with the doorman.
Returning the next day, the doorman gave me the book, which she personally inscribed "to David" & wrote a short thank you!
I still have this, 25 years later!

You get what you give, folks!
Give a little love & it all comes back to you!

David

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 07:04:31 PM »
since alexandra penned the foreward to "dark shadows memories",attended the 2001 museum of television and radio tribute to dark shadows and is narrating the newly released first year dvds i don't think she's really "snubbed" the fans either.

but something about the live nature of the fests seems to scare her off.i find it extremely distressing that the claus von bulow business is still on people's minds and that is one of the reasons she never comes.it's the fans that are really missing out on that one. :(
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: In Defense of Alexandra
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »
Yes, I heard similar stories, David.  AM signs autographs (or used to) for people who sent photos to her.  From all accounts, she was quite friendly at the television museum/honor event (forget what it was called) when DS and Dan Curtis were honored.  She's not comfortable with large crowds I've been told.

Nancy

Here's  a personal story:
in 1982 Alexandra was still in the NYC phonebook.
I wrote her & asked if it was OK for me to leave ONE ITEM ONLY with her building doorman for her to sign.
She wrote back & said yes.
I was living in NYC at the time.

I left the first Marilyn Ross paperback with the doorman.
Returning the next day, the doorman gave me the book, which she personally inscribed "to David" & wrote a short thank you!
I still have this, 25 years later!