Author Topic: What if there are no more fests . . .  (Read 9889 times)

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What if there are no more fests . . .
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 12:02:25 AM »
Another cool fan event would be to pick fan favorite episodes and have people sign up to play the DS characters. We, the fans, could do the same thing that the stars did this past year--recreate the first and last episodes on stage, or episodes of the fans or committee's choosing.

I think that is a terrific idea!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 02:20:08 AM »
The problem here appears to be twofold.  First off, points already made seem to have been lost on some.  For example, no one said there was no committee.  Other comments have also been misunderstood though they seem quite clear.  And the discussion about the Fests possibly losing money has already been covered in another topic.  I suggest that posters please carefully (re)read previous replies before responding themselves.

The second issue is the absence of netiquette in some responses.  Please be respectful of other posters' opinions and experiences.  Further personal attacks will result in an official warning.

From the Forum Guidelines, which all members agreed to during the registration process:

Debate should be kept on a non-personal basis. Flaming and name-calling will not be allowed. It is never appropriate to attack, criticize, or condemn another poster. Retaliation, sharp reproof and cynicism are to be avoided. Disagreement is a natural occurrence, but as stated above, should be done in a respectful manner. Likewise, these disagreements should not be continued beyond the normal limits of interesting discourse. Argument for argument's sake is not welcome.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 02:33:50 AM »
But we're not talking about that Fest, we're talking about this one.  Why bring up a different topic?

None of the mods feel it was off topic.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 03:49:52 AM »
Thanks, Midnite.

I'm interested in hearing any ideas you have for an alternative to the fests should it become necessary at some point.

Nancy

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 06:15:38 AM »
Thanks Teresalita!

I'd love to particpate in something like that, but I don't know if I could get over stage fright or not! lol! Sometime I get emabarassed without even knowing it and my face gets all red. Maybe if I held a script to look at it wouldn't be so bad....
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 11:33:12 AM »
Thanks Teresalita!

I'd love to particpate in something like that, but I don't know if I could get over stage fright or not! lol! Sometime I get emabarassed without even knowing it and my face gets all red. Maybe if I held a script to look at it wouldn't be so bad....

I'm sure you would be just fine. Profstokes could give you some pointers. She was once a newbie up on that stage but now just a seasoned pro.
PS I get embarresed easily too and my face gets all red without knowing it. I hate it but some people tell me it is charming. Go figure! ::)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 04:10:07 PM »
For the record, I don't give a hoot about the performers.  I go to see my friends.  The most exciting thing that happened to me at the last Fest was getting lost in the subway.....with a girlfriend! [lghy]

i'm with you Rainey in fact if anyone is ever on the east coast (esp boston or Newport) i'd love to plan a get together
hate to say it but with the show 40 years old the actors are getting to be far fewer and i'd rather meet
friends from the forum anyway :)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 11:17:58 PM »
Brandon, I think you will be fine on stage.  Everyone is nervous the first few times on stage (some professional performers never lose be nervous) but you only have to remember that the audience can't wait to see what you are going to do.  They want to see you do well and are very encouraging.  The DS fan audiences are really very supportive of fan performers.

Nancy

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 04:21:18 AM »
Brandon, I think you will be fine on stage.  Everyone is nervous the first few times on stage (some professional performers never lose be nervous) but you only have to remember that the audience can't wait to see what you are going to do.  They want to see you do well and are very encouraging.  The DS fan audiences are really very supportive of fan performers.

That's so true, Nancy. When the costume gala is being performed, the audience realizes people are putting themselves out there, and they truly do appreciate it. There was only one time I thought people were being really rude to a guy who was doing something in a gala. It seems this man does the same thing every year, and the people who were laughing at him were pointing that out. HOWEVER, it should be noted that they were drunk and obnoxious. They had carried their drinks in with them from the bar. Obviously, they were pretty tanked up. The guy they were making fun of, much to my disgust, was handicapped. How rude is that? Fortunately, at the two fests after that one, I never saw those people again. Good riddance! And that is NOT the norm. I find the audiences to be supportive, warm and very encouraging.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 04:28:45 AM »
If you ever see that kind of behavior where someone is harrassing another person in that manner, please seek out a volunteer or security volunteer and tell them.  People have been tossed out for that kind of behavior.

Nancy

That's so true, Nancy. When the costume gala is being performed, the audience realizes people are putting themselves out there, and they truly do appreciate it. There was only one time I thought people were being really rude to a guy who was doing something in a gala. It seems this man does the same thing every year, and the people who were laughing at him were pointing that out. HOWEVER, it should be noted that they were drunk and obnoxious. They had carried their drinks in with them from the bar. Obviously, they were pretty tanked up. The guy they were making fun of, much to my disgust, was handicapped. How rude is that? Fortunately, at the two fests after that one, I never saw those people again. Good riddance! And that is NOT the norm. I find the audiences to be supportive, warm and very encouraging.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2007, 05:07:13 AM »
Well, maybe if they have an event like that I might sign up, maybe if the fest is on this coast again this year. I tend to talk myself out of things (lol I HATE it) but once I signed up and was committed I'd HAVE to do it because I'm not one to let go of my committments.

Anyway, I count two maybe's and a might up there. If the two maybe's are met, then I'll probably sign up lol. I do hope the fest comes back to the east coast soon!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2007, 11:39:25 AM »
Well, maybe if they have an event like that I might sign up, maybe if the fest is on this coast again this year. I tend to talk myself out of things (lol I HATE it) but once I signed up and was committed I'd HAVE to do it because I'm not one to let go of my committments.

Anyway, I count two maybe's and a might up there. If the two maybe's are met, then I'll probably sign up lol. I do hope the fest comes back to the east coast soon!

I'm sure you would have a great time doing it so just work on not talking yourself out of it. I am also hoping for an east coast fest.
Teresa :)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »
If you ever see that kind of behavior where someone is harrassing another person in that manner, please seek out a volunteer or security volunteer and tell them.  People have been tossed out for that kind of behavior.

Oh, you can bet I will. As it was, though, I was waiting to go onstage. These jerks were sitting right in the first row. I felt sure that perhaps Marcy would say something, but she didn't. Then again, that thing is such a bear to coordinate, I can understand why she might not have addressed it at the time. To tell you the truth, I almost said something to them myself. I thought better of it since confronting drunks is never a good idea, and it wasn't my place anyway. However, in the future, if the fests continue and I see something like that, well, now I know what to do.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2007, 06:43:01 PM »
Well, some people are not comfortable with confrontation and while I do not enjoy confrontation, I have absolutely no problem confronting someone if necessary on line or off.   All anyone had to do was to tell the rude drunks they needed to stop the rude behavior or be shown the door.  FYI, the hotel security does the actual removing of people and they know how to do it.:)  We just point them out.  If in the future you are not happy with a response from someone about a situation, find me or tell Jim when you can.  Fortunately, these situations do not happen very often. :D

Nancy

Oh, you can bet I will. As it was, though, I was waiting to go onstage. These jerks were sitting right in the first row. I felt sure that perhaps Marcy would say something, but she didn't. Then again, that thing is such a bear to coordinate, I can understand why she might not have addressed it at the time. To tell you the truth, I almost said something to them myself. I thought better of it since confronting drunks is never a good idea, and it wasn't my place anyway. However, in the future, if the fests continue and I see something like that, well, now I know what to do.

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2007, 12:32:31 AM »
 Since Dan Curtis is dead I think the furture of the DS Fest is in the hands of his family members, they own the rights now. They may close everything down and that would inculde Jim's job. I pray this dosen't happen I look foward to seeing my friends each year. And I also believe that if there is money to be made by the stars books and etc those stars will try the hardest to have other fest's.  We all just have to wait and see and hope for the best.

Janet