Author Topic: Thoughts on a new DS and the '91 series  (Read 4259 times)

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
Re:Thoughts on a new DS and the '91 series
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2003, 04:41:52 AM »
 ??? Well, there really wasn't going to be any "Laura" as we knew her... The 91 series would have had Lysette Anthony return as "Laura," but she was really more like "Cassandra."  It was unification of characters.  Like we've recently gone into over Maggie.

>:( The Maggie character most people remember was really like Vicki & that was combined.  There was a lot of that going on.  Willie Loomis and Harry Johnson was another that comes to mind.  I think DC saw Laura as the dry run for Angelique (but she was the dry run for Barnabas).

:'( It would have been sad to see a real original character like Laura the Phoenix blended out of existance... that's the direction I think the 91 show would have gone into, had it continued. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2003, 05:21:14 AM »
??? Well, there really wasn't going to be any "Laura" as we knew her... The 91 series would have had Lysette Anthony return as "Laura," but she was really more like "Cassandra."  It was unification of characters.  Like we've recently gone into over Maggie.

:'( It would have been sad to see a real original character like Laura the Phoenix blended out of existance... that's the direction I think the 91 show would have gone into, had it continued.

Actually, wes, the '91 series writers weren't quite sure how they might handle Laura.

From SHADOWS IN THE '90s: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991: The writing staff was quite interested in developing Roger's character - the romance with Maggie and the mystery about his wife were elements they intended to explore further. Laura Collins would have been an integral part of the storyline. They discussed many different options. It was suggested that Laura would actually be Angelique all along, but it is doubtful they would have followed that particular avenue. Laura would definitely be identified somehow with Angelique - and it was intended that Lysette Anthony play the role - without actually being Angelique. She could, perhaps, have been possessed by Angelique prior to her institutionalization. Or she could be a phoenix with supernatural powers of her own, as she was in the original series. The 'catfight' of all time was envisioned - a battle of witches. There would also be a nod to the Gene Tierney "Laura".

The book also goes on to say that the writers "did intend to bring Angelique physically into the 20th century, to incarnate her somehow."

So, given all that, it's not actually clear that a union of Cassandra and Laura would have been the way they were definitely going to go. For all we know, the nighttime Laura may have resembled the daytime Laura in many respects - or not at all.  ;)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2003, 02:21:42 AM »
I hope the WB doesn't go for gratuitous sex in the new series (if it comes to pass).

I'm afraid it will be that and much more. Judging by the rest of the WB's shows, I'd venture a guess that the new series will be targeting young viewers, which means the newest incarnation of Barnabas will be some shirtless male model who can't act (a la "The WB's Tarzan") and a mostly-youthful cast of early 20-somethings.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2003, 03:28:28 AM »
Judging by the rest of the WB's shows, I'd venture a guess that the new series will be ... a mostly-youthful cast of early 20-somethings.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Hmmm - I wonder if the developers might be able to come up with a way for Liz and Carolyn to be around the same age?  ;D

But kidding aside, not all of the WB's series showcase a cast comprised mostly of early 20-somethings and stories that only deal with their trials and tribulations of coming of age. The focus of Gilmore Girls is equally balanced between Lorelai (the 30s-ish mom) and Rory (her teenaged daughter). Everwood is pretty balanced between Andy (the 40s-ish (YES! 40S-ISH!!) doctor) and Ephram (his teenaged son) and their interactions with their friends/foes. And (last season aside when the cast included his teenaged son) Angel's cast features late-20s-to-early-30s characters and deals with extremely adult themes. If a new WB DS were to be similarly balanced, it could be something quite interesting and enjoyable as well as comparable to the original...

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2003, 03:42:40 AM »
A few more notes:

1) Remember the '80's? Nightime SOAPS? I like the idea of a serial; really they're doing that with say West Wing.

2) Though I dont' really watch it, what about all the spin-offs from Star Trek. Different, yet, especially the first spin-off, along the same vein.

3) Recently (actually, occassionally within the last year) something I'm enjoying with OLTL: they make fun of themselves. Take today's eps with Dorian & Vicki 'dreaming'. Also, I don't watch Passions, but they too get silly. I think most viewers need comedy in what is traditionally a 'problem' fest (ie soaps).

Again....Maggie should be Mayor!!

Also, since I live in a very small town, and, presumably, Collinsport is small (at least in population); people should be involved in the community. This could bring in other dramas with a touch of supernatural AND mystery.

Of course, Roger & Maggie HAD to marry. Why? Was Maggie preggers? Was she blackmailing him...OR was Roger holding something on TLATKLS? Hmmm....this too could be a mystery for a while (think Liz with Jason).

No Barnabas...but why don't we ever see Jackson during the full moon???

Why won't Dr. MacIntyre let his sister Leticia in his R&D room???

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2003, 03:22:25 AM »
Oh, goodness, it feels good to bet back here after being inundated with work!

Well, that being said, I think the one thing I didn't care for with regards to the '91 series was that it lacked the subtlety of the original.  A case in point is that it took months and months to even use the word "vampire" after Willie sprang Barnabas (how I just loved the way Julia, during the tense early, mutually distrustful doctor/patient relationship with Barnabas would say:  "what.....you are").  But in the new series, in an effort to speed things along, Barnabas gets sprung and, zis-boom-bah, ala House of Dark Shadows, half of New England's police officers are running around with crosses, hammers and stakes.  Beyond that, I found it fairly entertaining and was sorely disappointed when it got cancelled.  It wasn't perfect; almost all elements could've been better, but when it comes right down to it, so what?  Okay, okay, so I wasn't thrilled that Maggie's '91 incarnation went back to the original crusty Eve-Ardenish type girl, if Eve Arden was "nineties-fied".  But you can't have everything.  Having the remarkable Jean Simmons play Elizabeth Collins Stoddard more than made up for that in my heart.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2003, 10:26:30 PM »
Okay...just think about it for a minute.....

In the 'matriachial' role....Fran Drescher.

I absolutely abhor her, but, I think if she acted 'normal', she'd be good in it.

Patrick Demsey in a Quentin OR Cyrus type role.

As the n'er do well side-kick...what about oh I can't think of his name...the kid (now man) from Diff'rent Strokes. Arnold.

Oliva D'abo in a role would be good too, IMHO. Actually, in matriarch role...perhaps...Valerie Bertinelli.

Patti
What a Woman!