Author Topic: Music on the DVDs  (Read 979 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Music on the DVDs
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »
I was wondering if they have to pay Robert Cobert for the music rights on the DVDs as they didnt replace any music.  They also use other music time to time, like the "Theme from a Man & a Woman (?)" do they pay for the rights for that too?

They didn't replace any of the music on DS as other TV shows have.

I was shocked about My Three Sons replacing ALL the music on those DVDs, I thought the producers owned it all.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Music on the DVDs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:01:26 PM »
They changed music in That 70's show. 

Also, VERY MUCH TO MY CHAGRIN, they changed it in 21 Jump Street.  Now, 21 Jump Street, in my opion oozed 80's on tv in the 80's and used big hits from the years that it was on, and now all you have is mimicked 80's music that really doesn't sync well with the storylines.   It advertises on the box THE COMPLETE SERIES. Well, not in my book -- i feel i've been ripped off with that one.

as far as DS dvds, all their music is in tact,  could be that he gets royalties.   I thought i read somewhere that anything related to Dark Shadows, he has the first music dibs--might be wrong on that.   I am not familiar with Theme from a Man and a Woman, can  you clue me in on that?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »
"Theme from a Man and a Woman" was a top 40 hit in 1966.  It plays on the jukebox in the Blue Whale in at least one scene. It was the title track to the French film "A Man and a Woman" starring the incomparable Anouk Aimee.

What was that delightful song playing on the radio when Julia was working in the Old House basement lab just before her first friendly visit from Gentleman Tom, vampire with a difference?  Was it "Embraceable You"?

G.

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 03:47:48 AM »
What was that delightful song playing on the radio when Julia was working in the Old House basement lab just before her first friendly visit from Gentleman Tom, vampire with a difference?  Was it "Embraceable You"

I think, if I am remembering correctly, that it was "Our Love is Here to Stay."  Gotta love Gershwin!  [ghost_smiley]
Life works if you let it

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:58:19 AM »
I didn't know it was this widespread a problem.   I'd have thought that once it was arranged to have this or that music used in broadcasts, that it would be exactly the same situation in home video.   I'm not sure what the pretext would be for differentiating.

I knew this happened with WKRP in Cincinnati, where in syndication they replaced real songs with fake ones, because they didn't have rights to the music.  How was it that they had the rights to begin with?   Did a contract run out after a few years?   Who doesn't take syndication or home video into account?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:14:53 AM »
It's interesting that the non-Cobert music made it into the DVDs, considering that there are Muzak versions of Beatles tunes in a couple of episodes.  I'm guessing that because the show didn't include actual Beatles recordings, they might have had only to pay a standard royalty.

Regarding WKRP, that show was made in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when the home video market was still relatively new, with a focus on rentals rather than sales.  New releases were priced at $90 to $100, in order to force video stores to pay significantly for rental stock, and then eventually, some titles would be re-released at a sell-through price.  Home video releases weren't a given the way they are now, and when licensing music for use on TV and in films, producers tended not to negotiate beyond broadcast use because home video releases (especially of TV shows) weren't on anyone's radar.  So, when Fox wanted to release WKRP on DVD, they had to re-negotiate the use of every piece of music.  The unfortunate thing about this is that the owners of those songs can pretty much ask for any amount of money, often making it cost-ineffective for the producers to use the original songs. (And I could be wrong, but I think that "Stairway to Heaven" is simply not available to anyone anymore.)

An interesting exception is Peggy Lee and the film Lady and the Tramp.  She wrote and performed songs for the film and had it in her contract that she would receive royalties from all avenues of distribution.  This, of course, was long before home video existed, but when the film came out on VHS for the first time, her estate successfully sued Disney for back royalties because the courts ruled that home video, although not in existence at the time, was definitely an avenue of distribution.

I imagine that today, producers take into account the home video market, as well as the Internet and other forms of distribution, and negotiate the rights to use songs accordingly, thereby avoiding the need to re-negotiate.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:52:30 AM »
"Theme from a Man and a Woman" is heard several times on the show, including, if memory serves, in the drawing room at Collinwood.