Author Topic: Dark Shadows Action Figures Wave 2 - CANCELLED  (Read 856 times)

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows Action Figures Wave 2 - CANCELLED
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:50:10 AM »
I kept checking Entertainment Earth's website periodically to see if the DS Action Figures were available, and now they are showing up as cancelled.
Does anybody here really care anymore??
I had mixed feelings about them. I thought the Barnabas and Quentin figures were good likenesses, but not crazy about the Angelique one. I liked the cloth outfits but thought the plastic they used look cheap.
Not worth $20 each, but the Barnabas one sold out quickly and has sold for much more $$$ on ebay.
I liked the idea of a Collinwood playset.
Surprisingly, there are a lot more disappointed MEGO fans over at the Mego Museum message board than there are here. Here's the link to a 5-page thread:
http://megomuseum.com/community/showthread.php?85111-Dark-Shadows-Wave-2-CANCELED

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows Action Figures Wave 2 - CANCELLED
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »
This news is disappointing. ::sigh::  [easter_sad]

I liked the idea of a Collinwood playset.

Oh well...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:53:21 AM »
A Collinwood playset?  Wouldn't that be great?  Obviously, it won't now ever happen, but when handed a lemon, make lemonade.  When I was a kid, I built my own Collinwood playset out of Legos.  Sometimes I built the exterior; other times I would take one of my mom's big, pull-out breadboards for a base and did interiors and then would use the small pieces of Lincoln Logs to make the characters (faces drawn on and kleenex serving as clothing) and enjoy moving them around in my re-creations of the storylines (or make up my own).  I'd do my own versions of the Old House (both exterior and, on the breadboards, the interior) and even the family crypt and other sundry locations.  I used a small ringbox for Barnabas' coffin (who was one of those small Lincoln Log pieces).  I'd also do the same for sets and characters from Lost In Space.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:16:33 AM »
i'm not into action figures but i'm sorry for those who were enjoying these...

on a whim I picked up the barnabas figure a couple years ago in a comic shop. it sat around for awhile until I decided to unload it, and some other random DS related things, at this funky little book/record/dvd/toy store in my neighborhood that specialized in "cult" stuff. when I went in a few weeks later and inquired to it's whereabouts the owner told me a very cute story...

apparently they put it in the shop window and one day a couple school age girls were walking by and spotted it. one of them rushed in and told them that her father loved DS and bought it for him as a present. I was glad to hear it found a good home. [easter_smiley]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:38:55 AM »
Gerard, your story made me think of the time on DS when David and Hallie made their own Barnabas doll, I think out of a clothespin and a bit of fabric, and put it inside Rose Cottage.  Remember that?

I'm not into the figures but I feel sorry for those who were looking forward to collecting them.  I have to say that in terms of modern toys, something retailing at $20 is barely above the level of a plastic decal, so I'm not surprised to read that the result looked very cheap.

I realize that $20 is a nice chunk of change for some of us, but in terms of the collectors market, I think it's close to bargain-basement.

G.