Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1106  (Read 411 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1106
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
Robservations #1106

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1106

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »
 [bat7628] It's Roxanne!  Julia is reluctant to kill Roxanne knowing it's Barnabas' great love. She has her moved to the secret room off the drawing room in the Old House. Shaw discovers the missing coffin. Julia reveals the news to Barnabas. He foolishly opens the coffin and she tries to attack him. Julia wisely reminds him he barely knows her (or the other one for that matter). Barnabas decides to not let her out. Julia left though her coat remains on the coat rack. Shaw is hiding in the shadows and takes the stake and has a gun. The fact that Roxanne has been barely on the screen, makes me not care that she is in jeopardy. She doesn't seem very likable either despite the hero saying she is so fantastic. They did a good job with making the reveal a surprise. I recall being surprised when it was originally shown.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:34:51 PM »
Very good episode. The characters are very strongly written here and the actors are all on the top of their game here. Plus, there is genuine emotional payoff here. Each character is caught in a difficult situation and every action that they may take will impact others. This is what DS should have been more often, rather than being just the shriek of the week.
So the vampire turns out to be Roxanne. Willie is perfectly willing to stake her but Julia stops him. Because this is the girl that Barnabas thinks he loves. Her emphasis, not mine. Willie tries to reason with her but Julia is determined. She is willing to sacrifice her own feelings and quite possibly Maggie's life so Barnabas can have what he wants. Noble? Perhaps. Perhaps not.
Barnabas is somewhat surprised at the vampire's identity and wants to have some sort of coffee time with her. But when the coffin is opened, Roxanne heads for his neck in a very savage way. Julia and Willie are there to force her back into the coffin.
This should be enough for anyone to realize that there shouldn't be a second date. Not Barnabas! He wants to take her into his confidence and be, I don't know, the Martha Stewart of the undead. Julia is vehemently opposed to this. Roxanne has come close to making lunch meat out of Maggie. And she probably wouldn't stop there.
I really am not a fan of the relationship between Barnabas and this Roxanne. They are barely acquaintances and she has kept him at a distance. Roxanne is an interesting character but she is nothing like her PT counterpart. She hasn't been especially likeable in any of her scenes. As a vampire, she seems more predatory than Megan or Angelique and there was no question about him wanting them destroyed. He wasn't able to reason with any of the other vampires, including the ones that he sired. In the long run, this really damages the character and makes Barnabas seem like a totally selfabsorbed idiot.
Meanwhile, Sebastian has discovered that Roxanne's coffin has been moved and somehow tracks it to the old house. Looks like he may be about to take matters into his own hands.
Fade Away and Radiate