Author Topic: Monsters We Shoulda Seen  (Read 4696 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Monsters We Shoulda Seen
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 09:17:31 PM »
The Creeping Terror... sort of a living carpet.   Creeping Afghan, maybe.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 02:04:02 AM »
LMAO to the Godzilla and The Creeping Afghan.

And I love the siren ideas! That would've been awesome!

I'm not sure I have anything to offer. I thought maybe a Jack-the-Ripper type story--a serial killer of Collinsport's past comes back as a ghost and starts killing.

Oh, maybe Bigfoot? God knows there are plenty of woods to hide in on that estate. LOL!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

David

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 08:23:16 AM »
Zahir:
the DS/Bewitched hybrid Passions just did a Siren story, and it tanked with viewers so badly, the character was written out after only 4 months.

Mark Rainey:
I'm laughing my ass off at your Dark Godzilla pic!!
What a GREAT idea!!!!

David

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 09:59:09 AM »
The series finale:

:D - and the "Post of the Year Award" goes to...
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »
Mark, that is simply BRILLIANT! Thanks for the first laugh I've had in a really miserable day! [bow]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Not Ready for Prime Time DS
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 04:55:19 PM »
I think the siren idea could work, but (like so many things) it would depend upon execution.  Just look at the different film versions of Hamlet or Sherlock Holmes.

The idea came to me that a scarecrow might actually be the weapon of a serial killer--some farmer or such in Collinsport (a la Ed Guin) whose mother used to work at Collinwood (before Elizabeth fired everyone).  Now he uses this living scarecrow to kill people, enacting whatever fantasies of revenge and/or sex that feeds his warped imagination.  Another twist might be if this guy actually has a split pesonality, and his "other" self doesn't even realize he is a killer!

Okay, maybe that's a bit cheesy, but maybe it'd work.  Me, I' prefer that he knows his is a monster and loathes that fact, is depressed and nearly suicidal.

Regarding the living Mummy--suppose this was someone (lets give him a name:  Ptah-hotep) with an unsual motivation?  He's not looking for a lost love or revenge against a Collins nor trying to escape an enemy.  Rather, he is looking for a way to die?  He already made himself immortal and wants to end it, but can only die under some very specific circumstances--for example, if he can destroy his coptic jars, and he has reason to believe the last one is hidden somewhere at Collinwood?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 06:53:51 PM »
The series finale:

ROTFLMAOPIMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Mark, you are TOO much!!!   [laughing4] [stfl]

I thought maybe a Jack-the-Ripper type story--a serial killer of Collinsport's past comes back as a ghost and starts killing.

Brandon, our last Christmas RR story covered this.  I *may* be able to find it on my computer at work and if so, if you want to read it I could email it to you.  Just let me know and I'll look for it tomorrow.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 07:03:43 PM »
 A Christmas Roundrobin? Sounds interesting.  :) What was it about?
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2006, 07:04:44 PM »
Although I haven't read it in so long that I have little memory of it, I do recall enjoying the Marilyn Ross novel that featured a mummy, at least when I was a kid. I think a portion of it took place on a ship headed to Collinsport, and it was actually fairly creepy. It might have been neat to see that idea expanded in the show itself.

Glad that Godzilla has generated some giggles.  [hall2_grin] If I hadn't been in such a hurry, I'd have at least turned Godzilla so the direction of the shadows matched!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2006, 07:12:17 PM »
Mark, I just saw your photo of Godzilla attacking Collinwood....I really LMAO! It's so freaking hilarious! [hall2_grin]

Thanks for the laugh.... [hall2_wink]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »
I just realized it wasn't Godzilla but Mordila....silly me.

Still it's a crack-up.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2006, 07:26:03 PM »
Regarding the living Mummy--suppose this was someone (lets give him a name:  Ptah-hotep) with an unsual motivation?  He's not looking for a lost love or revenge against a Collins nor trying to escape an enemy.  Rather, he is looking for a way to die?  He already made himself immortal and wants to end it, but can only die under some very specific circumstances--for example, if he can destroy his coptic jars, and he has reason to believe the last one is hidden somewhere at Collinwood?

Beautiful idea!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

David

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 10:22:59 PM »
Wouldn't it have been cool if Barnabas/Julia/Angelique
had run ins with the actual Count Dracula or Dr. Frankenstein?

David

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 10:52:57 PM »
I would have liked to have seen one of those "missing-time" incidents portrayed on Dark Shadows.

You know, an incident in which Roger and/or Julia is walking back from the Old House to Collinwood along that bumpy path, and they simply can't understand why it took over an hour to make the usually, at most, ten-minute-trek between the two houses on the estate.

Of course, when Roger and/or Julia returns to Collinwood, instead of a bite mark on the throat, they find strange, almost tiny surgical marks on the calf or on the upper-back (odd places for a vampire to bite!).  And, instead of a "Dream Curse," Roger and Julia dream of little, grey-colored guys, floating them up to a bright "star" in the sky over Collinwood.  (Beam me up, Batia Mapes!) [hall2_shocked] [hall2_grin]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 01:00:24 AM »

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a story like that; it's called "The Ring of Thoth."

Besides the mummy, the other major Universal monster that DS never used was the invisible man (perhaps while trying to cure Barnabas or Chris, Julia could accidentally create an invisibility potion), but it might have been tricky to consistently have to arrange special effects for an invisible character.

ProfStokes