Author Topic: Monsters We Shoulda Seen  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Monsters We Shoulda Seen
« on: November 04, 2006, 04:52:33 PM »
Vampires, werewolves, ghosts and demons--Dark Shadows had all of those and more.  But weren't there some classic monster-type elements we didn't get to see?  The kind of stuff the show might have explored had it not been cancelled?

For example:  A Living Scarecrow!  All you have to imagine is some local farmer dressing it with some old clothes they found in the attic.  How were they to know those clothes once belonged to a powerful sorceror hanged as a disciple of Judah Zachary?

How about a sea monster?  Combine the legends of the sirens with a little bit of H.P.Lovecraft's "Shadow Over Innsmouth" and methinks there's the stuff of an interesting storyline right there!  I always thought they didn't make nearly enough of the sea in the original series.  What is more mysterious, deadly and fascinating than the sea?

Okay, beautiful women, but still...

Any examples you folks can think of?

David

Re: Monsters We Shoulda Seen
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 06:21:59 PM »
Laura Collins gave the show ample oppurtunity to travel back to Ancient Egypt & do a Mummy story, which would have been far more interesting than the repetitive 1840.

David

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 07:26:32 PM »
It would have been interesting to have seen a Mummy story on the show, but I think I would have replaced the 1970 PT story with the mummy idea. Despite its faults I think 1840 was a great storyline (but then I have always favored the going-back-in-time stories, they will always have a warm place in my heart).

The show already had a vampire, witch, werewolf, man-made creation, phoenix, and a lot of ghosts......why not a mummy?

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 07:47:53 PM »
It would have been interesting to have seen a Mummy story on the show, but I think I would have replaced the 1970 PT story with the mummy idea.
The show already had a vampire, witch, werewolf, man-made creation, phoenix, and a lot of ghosts......why not a mummy?

Wasn't Quentin turned in to a mummy at one point in 1897? I can't really recall the actual details, but it's after [spoiler]Jenny kills him I believe.[/spoiler]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

David

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 07:52:43 PM »
In one of the scarier stories, Quentin was seen as a [spoiler]zombie[/spoiler]in 1897.

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 07:53:37 PM »
[spoiler]Wasn't Quentin turned in to a mummy at one point in 1897? I can't really recall the actual details, but it's after Jenny kills him I believe.
[/spoiler]

Nope, he was [spoiler]turned into a zombie[/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 07:55:55 PM »
Yeah, the Mummy gets my vote too
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 08:04:55 PM »
Bit of trivia...

During the 1860s, 70s and 80s, and even into the 20th century for awhile, there were events called "Mummy unwrapping parties."  Simply, you invite folks with an interest in such things to a formal party, the central entertainment being the unwrapping/cutting up of an ancient Egyptiona mummy.  Recall that at the time there were a lot more of them, plus plenty of fakes sold to European tourists.

Can you imagine something like that going on in the childhood of Quentin, Edward, Judith and Carl?  Might help explain what happened to their dad, huh?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 08:15:20 PM »
The DS mummy party idea is great.    Then it comes to life.   Or comes to life after the party's over and it's alone, then it cleans up, gets a new suit, and passes itself off as the relative from... Egypt... no, slip of the tongue... South America!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 08:17:59 PM »
The series finale:

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 08:25:02 PM »
I almost said Godzilla.  I really did.  LOL, MR!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 08:38:19 PM »
     Mark,  I can just see Mothra landing on the lawn.  I think a mummy could have been done without bringing Laura into the plot.  Quentin was in Egypt, too.  Prof. Stokes could have brought a mummy to the college to study.  Mummy and Quentin renew their old battle.  This would have given Selby a front and center plot.  Lord knows he needed one.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »
Nope, he was [spoiler]turned into a zombie[/spoiler]

Oops, sorry about that! Major embarrassed!  [hall2_embarrassed] [hall2_embarrassed]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 09:02:41 PM »
LOL - that Gozdilla over Collinwood is awesome!  I gotta go with the mummy as well.   Ancient Egyptian culture has always fascinated me.  I mean, how many civilizations have a "book of the dead" for pete's sake?  That's just cool.  It would have been really excellent to see Laura and Quentin in Egypt, if only they had the money and space for a bunch of new sets.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 09:12:17 PM »
I'm all for that Mummy scenario!   [hall2_grin]  Among other things, it would have provided a new and worthy antagonist who wasn't simply another warlock a la Judah Zachary.

Here's another.  Anybody remember that Isaac Collins originally was going to settle in a place called Mermaid's Bay?  But then he moved north?  Hmmmmm...

Suppose the artwork of an obscure Collins relative starts showing up--one Lysander Collins from the  1920s.  He's a descendant of Desmond Collins and rumors abounded of some secret love affair before his disappearance.  The truth is--he was seduced, then eventually drowned by a siren, a female demon of the depths.  Now she has returned to Collinsport, seeking another mate, calling herself Selene Collins, the daughter of the vanished Lysander.  And wouldn't it be a hoot if the mate she decided upon was Willie?