Author Topic: RIP SCI FI Channel Dark Shadow Board  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: RIP SCI FI Channel Dark Shadow Board
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 04:54:01 AM »
OMG I don't think even Nicky was 17 back in those days!

Yeah, he was.  And he is busy with his doctoral studies now.  See what I mean?  It feels like it was yesterday that he started the Creative Board on SciFi to post his Angelique stories.  [haironend]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 05:29:45 AM »
had to ask her 7 year old son how to do a search

I know he's practically a computer prodigy - but handing out computer advice at 7? Makes one wonder what he'll be like when he's 27!  [hall2_wink]

he started the Creative Board on SciFi to post his Angelique stories.

How well I remember. And what an amazingly talented writer he was even back then. A bit obsessed with Angelique - and he would be the first to admit it. But then so many DS fans are.  [hall2_grin]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 06:24:50 AM »
i guess i missed the "magical" part of the sci-fi board.

in fact the very mention of it makes me shudder.when i first got into the show a few years ago that god-awful board was my first experience with fandom and i'm surprised i didn't jump ship right then and there.talk about trolls!

i also have very good reason to believe that some of it came from within.one night i e-mailed the sci-fi board's administators and suggested that they might perhaps do something to control the level of hostility that was overtaking the board at the time.

needless to say i didn't get a reply but the very next day i began to receive very disturbing/obscene e-mails from unidentifiable sources.since my e-mail address was never posted there i can only assume that someone who worked at sci-fi had a hand in it.it got so bad that i had to block all e-mails for several weeks until it stopped.

then i was lucky enough to discover this "magical" board and i never looked back. [hall2_wink]

but as for the sci-fi board good ridance.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 06:54:52 AM »
i guess i missed the "magical" part of the sci-fi board.

Well, as you might have surmised, we're talking about 10 years ago.

Actually, it's hard to believe time has flown by so quickly, but we started the VantageNet board slightly over 8 years ago, back on October 7, 1998.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 08:01:50 AM »
OMG I don't think even Nicky was 17 back in those days!

Yeah, he was.  And he is busy with his doctoral studies now.  See what I mean?  It feels like it was yesterday that he started the Creative Board on SciFi to post his Angelique stories.  [haironend]

I've often thought of asking if anyone is in touch with Nicky - however busy he is with whatever he's doing, I couldn't believe that someone that involved with DS doesn't show up here once in a while.  Doctoral studies - wow!  Do you know in what?  And, what about Jase - it's pretty much the same with him.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 08:08:57 AM »
Both Nicky and Jase do show up here from time to time, but they haven't been posting - simply reading. In fact, both were here this past summer.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 02:12:27 PM »
Part of me can't help but feel very sad about this because for a time in the '90s the Sci-Fi Dominion DS board was a magical place to post. That might sound fanciful to the people who were unfamiliar with it at that time, but it's absolutely true. Though the truly sad thing is that the people at Sci-Fi allowed trolls to run amuck, causing all manner of problems (some of which actually prompted FBI intervention and resolution). And as of late I've been told that the Sci-Fi moderators were deleting topics at whim and treating DS fans with disdain. (Though treating DS fans with disdain is hardly a new practice for all too many at Sci-Fi - even when fans have been in the right. Who will ever forget how they refused to admit those Leviathans eps had ever been played out of sequence and how they treated everyone who presented actual evidence as if they were hallucinating?! [hall2_angry]) But I like to hope that some good did come out of the strife because if the trolls had never infested that board, Midnite and I would never have been prompted to create a new board on VantageNet, and this forum would have never evolved out of it. So, I for one am actually grateful to the trolls. And wouldn't it just kill them to know that their actions actually prompted something that I would like to hope has given DS fans a certain degree of pleasure. [hall2_smiley]

Yes, indeed you are right, MB, this board has given us DS fans a great deal of pleasure!  [hall_cool]

So thanks to you and Midnite for creating a wonderful board!  [hall2_smiley] [hall2_cool]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 03:02:51 PM »
I used to visit the Sci-Fi DS board a lot too (though I never could figure out how I could post on there), and it had a lot of great and interesting threads. Then all of a sudden some troll started coming on the board on a regular basis criticizing the show and all the fans, he was such a jerk!

Well thank goodness I found this DS forum where I can post (and no more dumb trolls, thank you!)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: SCI FI Channel Dark Shadow Board
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 05:00:06 PM »
Thanks, Sunny Collins!

I've often thought of asking if anyone is in touch with Nicky - however busy he is with whatever he's doing, I couldn't believe that someone that involved with DS doesn't show up here once in a while.  Doctoral studies - wow!  Do you know in what?

Playwriting.  He still plans to finish Shadows on the Wall, btw, but is so busy at the present time with school.

Josette, I remember being shocked by your dedication to visiting the SF boards and reading everything... while standing at a library computer!  Was it '97 when you started posting?

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 05:16:32 AM »
Wow, Midnite!  How do you remember the date?  I found the boards approximately September 1996 and it was early 1997 that I learned how to sign up for an e-mail address without having my own account at home and I made my first post.  In October of 1997 I finally got a new computer at home, and it certainly amde things a lot easier!!!!!

That's great about Nicky.  Any info on Jase?
Josette