Author Topic: Announcing of Recasts on DS  (Read 635 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Announcing of Recasts on DS
« on: March 21, 2004, 09:48:10 PM »
Watching the early Barnabas episodes , it surprised me that they would announce the change from the first Dr. Woodard (Richard Woods) to the second Dr. Woodard (Robert Gerringer).  Woods appeared in only 2 episodes somewhat apart from each other and the audience wouldnt have been that identified with him in such a small role at that time to be informed.  The first time I saw DS, I didn't remember the first Dr. Woodard at all.

When they recast Lt. Riley during the Laura story, there was no annoucement, even though the change occured the very next day.  I would think in that case, there should have been some announcement in the actor change.  The second actor was better, the first was too New York sounding.

The same for Harry Johnson.  Craig Slocum had the role for several months and was prominently featured for a while.  Yet there was no mention made of the new actor (Edwrad Marshall) replacing CS during the opening credits he first took the role over in.

Matthew Morgans recast didn't get announced but Sam Evan's did.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Announcing of Recasts on DS
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 11:34:16 PM »
I recall watching "As The World Turns" with my Mom back in the stone-age of day time television.....they announced every change that took place, including the "Due to illness, today the part of Dr. Stewart will be played by Joe Shmo...." notices.  I imagine they were afraid the studio would be flooded with calls from hysterical housewives, demanding to know where the actor who played Dr. Stewart was.

On DS....I think they were just so busy trying to stay a day ahead of their shooting schedule, they just didn't give relatively minor details like that much thought.

Remember....they never expected to have to answer for their decisions for the next who-knows-how-many years!!

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas