Author Topic: David Henesy, Former Child Star  (Read 3407 times)

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
David Henesy, Former Child Star
« on: September 05, 2003, 08:07:47 PM »
David Henesy's opening narration in Thursday's episodes were like his coming-of-age event--something only the adult actors heretofore had done.

In this week's episodes, when David's hair is all shaggy and he's wearing that striped pullover, he reminded me of David Spade in all those commercials for Dickie Roberts, Former Child Star...

Speaking of wardrobe, here's a question: yes, I know that this is 1970, but was it ever cool for a guy to cinch a sweater with a belt?!

:-  >:D ^-^
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:David Henesy, Former Child Star
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 08:12:01 PM »
Ugh, I remember all too well the horror of those nasty, scratchy, revolting sweater-vest outfits.  I think my Mom only tried once or twice--I simply rebelled.

Those who were not around for the early 70s will never realize the martyrdom they escaped.  Sheer sartorial agony.

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 08:58:19 PM »
Those who were not around for the early 70s will never realize the martyrdom they escaped.  Sheer sartorial agony.

I don't remember....did they ever dress poor David in a Tom Jones shirt?  You know the ones....with the big puffy sleeves?  Made the boys look like back-up conga players in the Ricky Riccardo band?  Bleh!  :P

But that sleevless sweater thingy with the belt David was wearing over his shirt.....I never saw anything THAT gawd-awful hideous in my life...and I WAS there for the 70's
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 09:06:11 PM »
Speaking of wardrobe, here's a question: yes, I know that this is 1970, but was it ever cool for a guy to cinch a sweater with a belt?!

Most definitely. [wink2]

And too bad David doesn't get to wear any coat sweaters. They were sort of like a long cardigan with lapels and went past your hips, but with a belt to keep them closed instead of buttons.

You missed out on some great stuff (even if no one in their right mind would be caught wearing it today [lghy]).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 09:10:41 PM »
But that sleevless sweater thingy with the belt David was wearing over his shirt.....I never saw anything THAT gawd-awful hideous in my life...and I WAS there for the 70's

Apparently you and I must have travelled in completely different crowds because I didn't know anyone back then who didn't own at least three or four of them. ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 09:18:35 PM »
Apparently you and I must have travelled in completely different crowds because I didn't know anyone back then who didn't own at least three or four of them. ;)

I guess it was some sort of New England thing that never quite made it across Long Island Sound......thank heaven
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2003, 09:32:11 PM »
Well Rainey...it must've skipped over to 'Joisey, cause I remember boys in grammar school wearing that stuff.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2003, 09:36:06 PM »
I remember boys in grammar school wearing that stuff.
Those clothes look like something that could have gotten you beat up over by the monkey bars! Even back then!  ^-^
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2003, 09:43:39 PM »
I guess it was some sort of New England thing that never quite made it across Long Island Sound......thank heaven

Granted, I went to a prep high school and I guess the dress code was the stereotypical preppy attire: dress slacks and shirts, sometimes a tie, but mostly with just a sweater. (Hell, we graduated in white dinner jackets and black tuxedo pants instead of caps and gowns. [b003]) But sweaters like that were all over the '70s TV shows. In fact, the coat sweaters were pretty much the coolest sweaters you could wear because David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser wore them on Starsky and Hutch. (They did for coat sweaters what Miami Vice's Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas did for pastel sport jackets and t-shirts in the '80s. [lghy])

If you ask me, I think it was more a case that your crowd was just tragically unhip. ;D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2003, 09:50:57 PM »
Those clothes look like something that could have gotten you beat up over by the monkey bars! Even back then!  ^-^

Actually, you were more likely to get beat up and made fun of if you DIDN'T wear those clothes. :)

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2003, 09:53:07 PM »
Thank Gawd for two things, Living in Sunny Florida where sweaters were not needed and Catholic school uniforms.

LdyAnne

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2003, 10:00:23 PM »
In fact, the coat sweaters were pretty much the coolest sweaters you could wear because David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser wore them on Starsky and Hutch. (They did for coat sweaters what Miami Vice's Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas did for pastel sport jackets and t-shirts in the '80s. [lghy]

God, I love the Internet! You go to Google, type in Starsky and Hutch, and in a few seconds you can find the perfect publicity shot:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2003, 10:10:38 PM »
Thank Gawd for two things, Living in Sunny Florida where sweaters were not needed and Catholic school uniforms.

Did I mention that I went to a Catholic prep high school?  ;)  However, it was run by radical Jesuits - and I thank God every day that it was because they taught me to think for myself and question everything...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2003, 10:23:49 PM »

Did I mention that I went to a Catholic prep high school?  ;)  However, it was run by radical Jesuits - and I thank God every day that it was because they taught me to think for myself and question everything..

Oh Holy Mother....I always thought there was something awfully familiar about you..

My husband was also educated by 'radical' Jesuits.

'nuff said  [6184]

And I don't know if my 'crowd' was hip or not....but I wore a jungle fatigue jacket with MY last name on (courtesy of Uncle Sam and my older brother) that was considered THE coolest thing in my high school.....except in winter when I wore a full length black opera cape. [lghy]
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2003, 10:40:06 PM »
And I don't know if my 'crowd' was hip or not....but I wore a jungle fatigue jacket with MY last name on (courtesy of Uncle Sam and my older brother) that was considered THE coolest thing in my high school.....except in winter when I wore a full length black opera cape. [lghy]

Okay...I vote for Rainey...that does sound extremely cool.

lol...courtesy of Uncle Sam AND lol...black opera cape.
Are you SURE you didn't do drugs??? Cause that was the 'uniform' of heads around the world :-*

Patti
What a Woman!