Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0332  (Read 1134 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0332
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:42:55 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0332
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 12:56:58 AM »
So Barnabas is still looking for a bride, even if Julia's experiments are successful.  Is he going to turn the bride into Josette?  And if so, how is he going to do it without his vampire powers?

I'm not clear on why Barnabas suddenly softened with Julia and told her he was frightened.  It was a nice moment, and Jonathan Frid made it believable - but I don't understand it.

In David's shoes, I'd be thrilled at the thought of being sent somewhere where Barnabas isn't, but David is spurred on to take greater risks when he hears about it.  I don't get any feeling that he thinks anybody besides himself is in danger, so he isn't being altruistic.  He just can't bear to have people think he's wrong.  Very silly, but people are like that.

The end of this episode was fantastic.  I loved that way Barnabas snapped down the coffin lid.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 01:04:36 AM »
My favorite part is the last part.  David coming to the coffin after Barnabas was out.  How scary would it have been if Barnbas was climbing out.  That would have been just like the dream.  Then could have we said that David could see the future, not just in the chrystal ball.

Do you think that Barnabas really wanted to hurt David. As it has been said I think he was very scared.  But then who is going to believe David?? These were great shows.

I do think that Barnabas wants someone to listen to him. Julia is the only person that he can talk to. Willie is  not around,  We know who Barnabas is after, But I wonder if Barnabas can change her.  I don't think she will give up her identify, even at this point.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 02:38:29 AM »
The ending was a cliffhanger, wasn't it? Watching it as a child, I was sure David was a goner.

We did see a hint of the 'human' Barnabas in this episode....I saw a bit of his vulnerable side when he confided in Julia....after he got done with his daily dose of throttling her, that is.

Great episode.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 03:07:46 AM »
We did see a hint of the 'human' Barnabas in this episode....I saw a bit of his vulnerable side when he confided in Julia....after he got done with his daily dose of throttling her, that is.

LOL I really liked this.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Doesn't he stop throttling Julia after the return from 1795??
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 09:59:12 AM »
I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw Barnabas yet again throttling Julia! [lghg]

I loved the end, too!  That sound of Barnabas slamming the coffin lid down!  Wow!  Scary stuff!  [shkdg]  That look on David's face was priceless! [shkdb]

I thought it was great how they cut back and forth between the sunset,  Barnabas getting out of his coffin, David opening the basement door, and David walking down the steps. [cheesyg]

Excellent episode!  [bigok] Great acting by all, especially DH and JF! [thumb]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Doesn't he stop throttling Julia after the return from 1795??

Yes he does.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 04:49:46 PM »
Barn may stop physically abusing Julia, but the psychological abuse goes on and on and...

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 02:31:28 AM »
This episode has one of the great closing scenes of all time, so well done.

I love the complete shift in tone that occurs in the scene between Barnabas and Julia when, after all his bullying and bragadoccio, Barnabas suddenly drops his voice and says "I'm frightened."  What a fantastic "humanizing" moment for the character.  This is why DS was such a hit in its time and still lives on today.

The only hitch in Barnabas' plan to send David off to school is wouldn't that essentially eliminate the need for his dearly beloved  Vickie to continue hanging on at Collinwood?  She'd be out of a job and he'd have lost his best bet for a Josette replacement.