Author Topic: The New DARK SHADOWS?  (Read 10992 times)

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
Re:The New DARK SHADOWS?
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2003, 02:12:38 AM »
 :o I didn't think of it, 'cause Depp would only play Barnabas -- but, he would be an excellent "Aristede" or "Laszlo," too!

:( Of course, he is unofficially unavailable for the next two years (IE he's "People" mags "Sexiest Man of the Year")

;D Terrific for Johnny Depp, if not for DS.  He has tried to be an "actor" before a "star" in his career moves, which I respect.

:) Good job, Mr. Depp.  Now that you're the "hot" star of the moment, you're still going to think of your craft first, right?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2003, 03:07:01 AM »
Nancybe sends this from the newest issue of TV Guide:

Cheers - to another resurrection of the classic ghost opera Dark Shadows. WB reportedly is close to a deal with Shadows producer Dan Curtis for a new version of the 1960s soap. Welcome back, Barnabas.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2003, 05:49:56 AM »
I cannot help but be concerned for the fact that it is going to be on that network which is known for the kind of meaningless sex,humor and endless casting of all teenage cast for its shows. I have set up some personal requirements for me to watch the show beyond 1 to 3 episodes.

TBH, the fans are the last people it needs to please to survive -- and rightly so.  From the WB's perspective, we could all switch off after the first episode and it would barely register on the ratings, if at all.  We're a blip on the scale, nothing more, so they can take or leave us.

Personally, I'd love to see some more humour in a new series.  One of the things I loved about the recent "Return to Collinwood" play was its rich vein of comedy, which genuinely enhanced the story -- it adds a dimension to the characters and brings a touch of welcome reality too.  And the show itself was frequently at its strongest when it smirked at its characters and excesses -- don't forget Quentin's bitter line in acid wit, Magda's simpering sarcasm to Barnabas or Count Petofi's penchant for Wildean one-liners.  Terrific stuff -- one should never confuse being funny with being silly.

As for a new show, I'm open minded -- I don't really care how true it is to the original, if it has teenagers in, or whether KLS has a cameo...  Make it good drama with a few surprises and I'll be a happy viewer.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2003, 09:05:38 AM »
 ;D Some of those WB "teenagers" look a little long in the teeth, if you ask me...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2003, 10:57:28 AM »
Nancybe sends this from the newest issue of TV Guide:

Cheers - to another resurrection of the classic ghost opera Dark Shadows. WB reportedly is close to a deal with Shadows producer Dan Curtis for a new version of the 1960s soap. Welcome back, Barnabas.

The same issue of TV Guide made reference to a made-for-TV movie version of Farscape, the popular and critically acclaimed series once produced and aired by Sci-Fi.  The snippet states that the show was "prematurely axed" by Sci-Fi, leaving loose ends dangling.  I really didn't watch Farscape, but the few episodes I caught showed that it was a very well done series and I can see why it received such praise from viewers and critics.  So here was a show, immensely popular, a money-maker for Sci-Fi (I guess it was the most-viewed science fiction television show), and Sci-Fi, for whatever reason, unceremoniously tosses it aside.  Fans stormed the castle to save it, but the powers-that-be at Sci-Fi would have none of it.  Farscape was history, and nothing would change their minds.  Sounds familiar?

So what is up with the lame-brains who now control this network?  It seems they don't care about quality or about the fans who make its viability on the cable system possible.  They dissed the most successful show they had (Farscape) for reasons known only to them; they dump a classic with a small but solid fan base (Dark Shadows) because they think it's not appealing enough.

Feh.

The article about the Farscape movie states that it will not be airing on Sci-Fi - it will be sold into syndication, so Sci-Fi does not get the chance to make any money off of a commoddity it once produced.  Good.  It has proven its lack of loyalty to shows which made its success possible; now let those shows (and their fans) take their loyalty elsewhere.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2003, 03:32:01 PM »
Wow, Gerard.  I'd heard about the Farscape mini, but didn't know it wouldn't be airing on SciFi.  Good!  They don't deserve to make a dime off it!

Though I wasn't a huge fan of the show, it was very well done, and from what I heard, extremely popular.  Then they cancelled it so unceremoniously.

Just goes to show that there are a bunch of boneheads running that network!

Perhaps when/if the new series of Dark Shadows gets off the ground, another network will get to show the classic 1966-71 series, and will make a pile of cash from it.  That would be karmic comeuppance for SciFi!

But I'm not bitter... ::)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2003, 10:07:50 PM »
But I'm not bitter... ::)

I'm not either, Cassandra!   ;)

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2003, 05:26:29 PM »
  That would be karmic comeuppance for SciFi!

Good one Cassandra Blair!!!!!

Patti
What a Woman!