Author Topic: AUGH!!!!!  (Read 2120 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
AUGH!!!!!
« on: April 05, 2006, 05:26:37 AM »
I just started boxset 9 yesterday, which includes a whole smattering of episodes I've yet to see.

Let me layout the scene for you:  (Topic contains spoilers from 1968 Dream Curse Storyline)

Vicki is avoiding Barnabas in an attempt to not tell him the dream curse, Barnabas comes to her anyway because he doesn't want her to suffer. This is a great scene except for one little thing....

...Vicki wants to know why Angelique would want to see Barnabas dead. Barnabas reasons that it's some leftover grudge against the original Barnabas Collins. Vicki then stands next to Barnabas and says something along the lines of, They said the original Barnabas went to England and died there, but he didn't, he died here in the Old House.

HELLO?!?!

Then WHO praytell is the gentleman standing NEXT TO YOU?!

I know the writers dumb down the characters a bit sometimes, but this is just plain ludicrous.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: AUGH!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:15:38 PM »
Arashi, you'll just pull your hair out if you try to make SENSE of DS, LOL!  Just let the ART flow over you girl!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:16:04 PM »
::laughing:: I'll take your advice to heart.

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 10:56:40 PM »
Let me layout the scene for you:

Vicki is avoiding Barnabas in an attempt to not tell him the dream curse, Barnabas comes to her anyway because he doesn't want her to suffer. This is a great scene except for one little thing....

...Vicki wants to know why Angelique would want to see Barnabas dead. Barnabas reasons that it's some leftover grudge against the original Barnabas Collins. Vicki then stands next to Barnabas and says something along the lines of, They said the original Barnabas went to England and died there, but he didn't, he died here in the Old House.

HELLO?!?!

Then WHO praytell is the gentleman standing NEXT TO YOU?!

I know the writers dumb down the characters a bit sometimes, but this is just plain ludicrous.

Well...to the writers' defence...Vicki doesn't actually know that "the Barn that Ang had a grudge against" is the "same Barn standing next to her at that moment." I mean, does she? I think that she doesn't, so of course she wouldn't and couldn't know. Right?

Maine Girl [blackbat]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 12:45:39 AM »
I could be wrong, but I interpreted arashi's point as possibly being that, if the original Barnabas had died and, therefore, never went to England, then Vicki should have been wondering who the hell the guiy standing next to her was. Present day Barn shouldn't even have existed, much less supposedly been original Barn's descendant. But that ever so slight inconsistency (he said facetiously  ;)) in present day Barn's cover story never ever dawned on Vicki. And to make Vicki that dumb was just plain ludicrous, of which I would have to agree.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 02:59:31 AM »
I could be wrong, but I interpreted arashi's point as possibly being that, if the original Barnabas had died and, therefore, never went to England, then Vicki should have been wondering who the hell the guiy standing next to her was. Present day Barn shouldn't even have existed, much less supposedly been original Barn's descendant. But that ever so slight inconsistency (he said facetiously  ;)) in present day Barn's cover story never ever dawned on Vicki. And to make Vicki that dumb was just plain ludicrous, of which I would have to agree.

Bullseye. That's exactly what I was getting at.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 03:19:35 AM »
Keep in mind, gang, that poor Vicki's been deprived of sleep for days thanks to that blasted Dream Curse, so her reasoning skills - always somewhat lacking anyway - are really on the fritz at this point.

She'll redeem herself in a few weeks when she puts the final pieces of the Cassandra/Angelique puzzle together, when a certain portrait begins to do amazing things....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 07:34:50 AM »
AUGH!!!!!  1968 spoilers!!!   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 11:03:11 AM »
Oh shit! I am so totally sorry about that!  You can slap me if need be. [violent1]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »
The main topic now contains a spoiler warning.  :)

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 06:38:24 PM »
LOL - I must be as dumb as Vicki, because it never occured to me that if the 1795 Barnabas had died without having any children, then he wouldn't have any ancestors.  I guess I always assumed that by "ancestors" they just meant anyone decended from the old Collins family, [spoiler]and I think there were still one or two of them left alive after the 1795 storyline.[/spoiler]

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 07:02:29 PM »
And to make Vicki that dumb was just plain ludicrous, of which I would have to agree.

I concur as well. Right then Vicki should've looked at Barnabas and said - "The original Barnabas died here, so how exactly is it that you exist?" Would've loved to him to try and get out of that one! There was no excuse for how dumb Vicki came off in that moment, no matter how good the scene was - and I do think it was a good scene between them, one that would've been upgraded to excellence if Vicki had realized the truth.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 07:08:01 PM »
I concur as well. Right then Vicki should've looked at Barnabas and said - "The original Barnabas died here, so how exactly is it that you exist?" Would've loved to him to try and get out of that one! There was no excuse for how dumb Vicki came off in that moment, no matter how good the scene was - and I do think it was a good scene between them, one that would've been upgraded to excellence if Vicki had realized the truth.

This is one of the FEW things I liked about the NBC version,the fact that when Victoria comes back from 1790, [spoiler]she looks at Barnabas w/fear, suggesting she KNOWS and he looks back at her menacingly as they freeze on Ben Cross for the series finale.[/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 12:38:21 AM »
this scene is another all time favorite for me.

it never even occured to me until i read this that right then and there vicki should have realized that if the 1700's barnabas had actually died in collinsport that the man standing next to her could not possibly be a descendent of his from england.

i doubt that the writers thought about this either.i'll bet this was an unintended continuity gaffe.
besides,for whatever reason the writers felt that vicki could never suspect anything about barnabas.

i'm surprised no one here has mentioned how this particular scene concludes...with one of the show's bitchiest moments ever! :-*
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 01:12:01 AM »
A lack of direct ancestors poses little problem when you have a host of incestors to take up the slack.