Author Topic: Sci-Fi Channel Documentary  (Read 4445 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Sci-Fi Channel Documentary
« on: February 09, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »
So, what was the story with this?  I remember hearing Sci-Fi Channel did a documentary about DS that got nixed.  Is this documentary available anywhere?  I'd really like to see a copy of it.

Thanks,
Penny Dreadful
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Sci-Fi Channel Documentary
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 08:26:46 PM »
So, what was the story with this?  I remember hearing Sci-Fi Channel did a documentary about DS that got nixed.  Is this documentary available anywhere?  I'd really like to see a copy of it.

I think it's safe to say that that thing ain't seein' the light of day!  They showed it at the last Fest at the World Trade Center and it upset several cast members and they walked out even.  Then the Fest announced no more Fests and ppl began to think this was the reason.  I wasn't there, unfortunately as I *too* would give my eye teeth to see it, but friends who were said the cast members that walked out were furious about it being shown.   >:(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 09:00:10 PM »
Wow.  What was it that caused such a reaction?  Was the documentary disrespectful in some way?
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:06:42 PM »
Hey Penny Dreadful, I honestly don't recall the details, but what I do remember is that a lot of gossip was bandied about (which per Board regulations can't be discussed here, but perhaps someone will fill you in via PM).  I had a bad feeling about that thing from the get-go, and I know some fans who participated in it in good faith--it really left a BAD taste in everybody's mouth.

It all reminds me of this time at one of the old DS convocations when Joan Bennett was still living.  Joan was sitting on stage when KLS was taking a starry-eyed trip down memory lane about what a wonderful place DS to work and what a warm, caring, family feeling there was amongst cast and crew. Apparently, Joan gave one of her famous sharp looks, raised an eyebrow and said "WHAT show did you say you were on again, Dear?"  LOVE to have seen that...

G.

Offline mfmdpt

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 09:28:10 PM »
I think it's safe to say that that thing ain't seein' the light of day!

As someone who took part it, I hope they burned every copy, every outtake, and anything and everything having to do with it.  >:(  However, that being said, the outtake footage from the questions I refused to answer and what I told them I thought about those questions might be pretty funny to see.  [laughing11]  But something tells me they definitely destroyed that stuff.  ;)
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 09:28:41 PM »
They showed it at the last Fest at the World Trade Center

Actually, it was at the 2002 Anaheim, CA Fest.  :)

I honestly don't recall the details, but what I do remember is that a lot of gossip was bandied about (which per Board regulations can't be discussed here

There's a topic on the forum in which the documentary is discussed. Check out:

... After a touching tribute to the WTC offered by Jim Pierson <sniff>, the Sciography documentary, originally scheduled to be shown the previous evening, aired. ...

Be sure to browse through from Midnite's post onward because the subject of the documentary pops up on a few different pages in the topic.  :)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 09:32:45 PM »
The people involved with the documentary (DS people) told me that the producer of the documentary set out to do a TRUE STORY type of thing leaving "truth" out of it.  It was a very trashy, tabloid type of production and I was told that an edited version was what was ultimately shown at the fest a few years ago.  Even the edited version upset some of the actors who felt speculation, hearsay and half-truths were given more time than should have been given.  I understand that the reason for showing the piece was so fans could get an idea of the direction producers wanted to go and hence why the documentary was not completed.  Jonathan Frid didn't want to be interviewed for it so he was one of those trashed in the piece and the producer admitted as much that was why he was doing what he was doing.  That kind of attitude doesn't exactly lend hope the documentary is going to be informative or enlightening.

While every show supposedly has its tasty morsels of gossip and scandal, DS was one of the few that simply didn't have much in the way of scandal and trash to sell about the cast or crew.  The material in the documentary was stuff that was greatly embellished and stretched beyond the limit which is why the actors who were upset expressed their displeasure that any of it was shown.

SciFi was upset about how the whole thing was handled because it knew that fans would be upset about the speculation and half-truths presented in a tabloid manner, not upset that actors, cast and crew were not perfect people.  I understand that the producers behind the documentary were also cut out of several other projects they were due to be a part of because of their "take" on the DS documentary.

nancy

Wow.  What was it that caused such a reaction?  Was the documentary disrespectful in some way?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 09:55:19 PM »
It all reminds me of this time at one of the old DS convocations when Joan Bennett was still living.  Joan was sitting on stage when KLS was taking a starry-eyed trip down memory lane about what a wonderful place DS to work and what a warm, caring, family feeling there was amongst cast and crew. Apparently, Joan gave one of her famous sharp looks, raised an eyebrow and said "WHAT show did you say you were on again, Dear?"  LOVE to have seen that...

Reminds me of the recent Fest in Hollywood.  Johnny Karlen and KLS were on stage and someone asked them if they thought Jonathan would ever come back to the Fests, in particular would he show up for the 40th this summer.  KLS started out by saying something like, "Um, well, I haven't spoken to Jonathan in awhile, but I think we might be able to persuade him.  Sure, why not!" and Karlen said into the mic, "Johnny ain't comin'!" to which the audience roared w/laughter.

I call KLS the "Mary Richards" of DS fandom because she really is pollyanna-ish when it comes to things, at least onstage, LOL!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 09:57:42 PM »
Actually, it was at the 2002 Anaheim, CA Fest.  :)

Oops, my bad!   :-[
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 10:23:56 PM »
Reminds me of the recent Fest in Hollywood.  Johnny Karlen and KLS were on stage and someone asked them if they thought Jonathan would ever come back to the Fests, in particular would he show up for the 40th this summer.  KLS started out by saying something like, "Um, well, I haven't spoken to Jonathan in awhile, but I think we might be able to persuade him.  Sure, why not!" and Karlen said into the mic, "Johnny ain't comin'!" to which the audience roared w/laughter.
That wasn't the only time he decided to have some fun at her expense. She made some remark about the location being great, and he responded with something along the lines of: "There she goes again. Miss Everything Is So Nice. I'm so nice. Good God, woman!"  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 11:12:39 PM »
Wow, the "documentary" sounds really awful.  Glad they didn't air it.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 11:35:46 PM »
That's so funny.  KLS hasn't spoken with JF in ten years. ::)

If fans want JF to come, they can write to him via his website in the Visitor's Corner.  It would help too mentioning something about the site to ensure the webmaster passes the note on to him.

Nancy
http://www.nancykersey.blogspot.com

I call KLS the "Mary Richards" of DS fandom because she really is pollyanna-ish when it comes to things, at least onstage, LOL!   ;D

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 11:42:32 PM »
That wasn't the only time he decided to have some fun at her expense. She made some remark about the location being great, and he responded with something along the lines of: "There she goes again. Miss Everything Is So Nice. I'm so nice. Good God, woman!"  ;D

[headbang]  Oh yeah!  That is hilarious!

My theory as to the number one reason certain actors want JF to come to the festival so badly:  he brings in people who will hopefully buy products being sold by some actors.   The dealers have often said JF is the number one draw at the fests and when he comes, so does the money. 

I have witnessed (and so have others attending the fests) that when JF comes, it's like the other performers don't exist anymore.  During a Q&A most questions go to JF even though he tries to deflect them so other actors can be involved.   How thrilling can that be for the other people who were just as important to the fans and the show?  Not very.

Of course this was not discussed in the documentary. >:D

Nancy
http://www.nancykersey.blogspot.com

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 11:54:08 PM »
I'd be thrilled to have Mr. Frid at the next Fest.

That way, while everyone else was in the largest available room, listening to HIM, I could be sitting with John Karlen, asking him about his early performances on the New York stage..... :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 12:16:30 AM »
Heh heh, Rainey!

it upset several cast members and they walked out even. ... friends who were said the cast members that walked out were furious about it being shown.

Well, two cast members walked out:  Marie Wallace and KLS.  KLS has said that John Karlen did too, but did anyone see him walk out?  I didn't notice him leaving his seat.