Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0389  (Read 930 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0389
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:55 PM »
Robservations #389

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0389

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:47:31 PM »
Ugh. Angelique is particularly cruel, [spoiler]though not as cruel as she soon will be.[/spoiler]

Ben is so brave. He risks his own life to try to save Sarah. But all Angelique wants is for Barnabas to be willing to do anything to save his little sister.

This is one of the very few times we see Naomi and Sarah together. Clearly Naomi is a devoted mother, and the dress she is wearing today is especially pretty.

Angelique removes the pins as Sarah drinks the supposedly curative tea. And now Angelique is ready to collect from Barnabas….

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:54:59 AM »
I believe all Barnabas tells Ang is that Sarah is ill, no specifics, and Ang makes an amazingly lucky guess, asking if she has pain in two specific places.   Barn might want to pay more attention to what's going on right now....

Yes, good for Ben, and Thayer acted having a heart about to burst very well.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:48:34 PM »
Sharon Smyth was distractingly unrehearsed in that she couldn't keep her eyes off the teleprompter, so much so that she made Joan Bennett seem like a seasoned pro, oh, wait a minute...

It really didn't occur to me until today that it appears that Daniel & Sarah will spend no time together on screen in this storyline. Is Daniel even in Collinsport? I thought he arrived with Millicent, but maybe not. The scene with Ange & Ben made me think of Petofi, in the way that there seems to be no escaping their powers. As a kid I remember feeling so desperate that Petofi was unstoppable, as Ange appears to be now. I agree DarkLady, for me, the character of Angelique is rounding the corner of no return with the torture and eminent death of a child. I thought the look on her face as she was puncturing Sarah's doll was very intriguing. I had little luck trying to interpret her expressions. I wanted to see reluctance & self loathing where I saw evil but I really couldn't come to any concrete conclusion. Ange doesn't seem to have a sense of remorse so it seemed more like cruelty and anger to me. I guess Ange has given up on having Barn come to her willingly as she now blackmails him into marrying her. I guess as long as she doesn't have to cast a spell on him, she can live with it.

I agree Magnus, Barn really should see the signs but I guess because he doesn't believe in witchcraft at all; he is blind to the obvious. It would be one thing if he believed in witchcraft but didn't believe Vicki was a witch. But it seems more like he believes Vicki is innocent because he doesn't believe in witchcraft at all. I think if he believed in witches he would have fingered Angelique quite a while ago, if not, then surely now.

Ben: "You are a witch! No wonder why Mr. Barnabas don't wancha!" (Not a funny moment but... [lol2])

Random thoughts: Is Sarah's room a new set? I think I've seen that tile that's around the fireplace before. Big video glitch at the close of the intro scene. On the DVD also? Another marvelous performance by Parker & David. Frid also turned in a fabulous performance, especially the scenes with Smyth in them. The scene where Sarah asks for her doll and he offers to get it for her, it practically made me faint. It was so soft and tender and sympathetic and loving. It was sublime.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 04:10:02 AM »
The tiled fireplace made its first appearance as Vicki's room, also in 1795.

Angelique isn't reluctant at all about hurting other people to get what she wants. She is utterly remorseless. No self-loathing there.

And yes, Barn should see the signs, but he is a thoroughgoing rationalist.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:05:16 AM »
Sharon Smyth was distractingly unrehearsed in that she couldn't keep her eyes off the teleprompter, so much so that she made Joan Bennett seem like a seasoned pro, oh, wait a minute...

She had a strange forced smile in close-up, but I thought I thought she did "sudden pain" pretty well.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 08:47:15 AM »
Yeah, if it hadn't been for staring at the teleprompter, she was close to fabulous. She may have been getting stage direction as well. But still. Then there was the fade in where her eyes were open and then she hurriedly shut them. By that point, it was kinds cute.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 11:13:57 PM »
it is amazing that Angelique knows how to cure Sarah and knows her pain, yet she is not questioned to be a witch. The fact that she wants Barnabas to marry her doesnt raise questions? I wish they had borrowed Kathleen Cody  or Fran Myers to play Sarah.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 06:28:56 AM »
The tiled fireplace made its first appearance as Vicki's room, also in 1795.
Here's a little more about that fireplace:
Prop Project: The Delft Tile Fireplace

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
Wow, thanks, Lydia. That's all very cool! The Museum of the City of New York has Dutch period rooms, and I believe at least one of them has a Delft-tile fireplace, although I can't find any links on line.

The idea of faux-Delft tiles featuring scenes from DS is hilarious!