Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0385  (Read 903 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0385
« on: February 03, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
Robservations #385

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0385

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:26:08 PM »
WELCOME, REVEREND TRASK! One of the most hateful villains ever, played to a fare-thee-well by Jerry Lacy.

Abigail tells Trask that Vicki arrived two weeks ago.

Barnabas looks very handsome in another non-black suit. I guess with Trask on the scene in his unrelieved black, they didn't want viewers to confuse the two.  [snow_wink]

Despite Nathan's grim warning, Vicki foolishly insists that her innocence will keep her safe. Trask's slap was an absolute shocker for me, even though the tree-tying-up part was rather silly.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:36:59 AM »
Hateful villain indeed, DarkLady, OMGoodness!!! How fabulous is Trask portrayed as compared to Tony Peterson? Love the makeup job too. I didn't remember any of the violence of this episode. Nor the intensity. It was chuck full of substance, nary a shred of fluff nor filler from start to finish. A bit difficult to watch at times for me because of the persecution and rough treatment of Vicki. Then I starting thinking about the actual witch trials of the 1600s and started getting sick to my stomach. Barn to the rescue - well, almost, why he wasn't present for Vicki's questioning or at least standing guard outside her door to make sure things didn't get out of hand seemed a bit odd to me but of course Trask would have never been able to get her out of the house if Barn had been involved. I wish Vicki had been able to slap Natalie & Abigail, but I'm happy she at least got Trask. AM had some great scenes and played them to the hilt. As did Lacy. Blackburn had the scenes but fell short of a stellar performance. I am not bowled over by her Abigail. She hasn't quite got there yet, IMO. I liked Crothers' opening scene & his scene with Moltke but like Blackburn, he not a scene stealer. The closing scene was pretty damn good. I like how the music kept building. And I absolutely love how Lacy looks up when he says The Lord, lol. The men seem to think Trask is a crackpot and the women are followers. Natalie is having reservations about Trask's methods but I was not moved. Definitely not a boring episode. I would have had Abigail prick her finger during her needlepointing though.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »
Hateful villain indeed, DarkLady, OMGoodness!!! How fabulous is Trask portrayed as compared to Tony Peterson?

I would have had Abigail prick her finger during her needlepointing though.

Those kinds of moments (Abigail gets a prick, and it's not Trask...) are always fun and add to verisimilitude, for the very reason some viewers don't want to see them, because they're so unnecessary to the plot.  I'm always more about experience than story.  I wouldn't mind an episode where the plot comes screeching to a halt, and we get a tour of the Old House bits we never see, or the grounds, etc.. -- or a pointless conversation about pudding, as long as it's entertaining.

Lacy comes into his own as Trask.  I wonder if they threw him Tony P to get him under contract so they'd have him for 1795.   How JL manages an over-the-top villain who nonetheless is credible and intimidating, I don't know.   "Fun/scary" is a rare and delicate combination when you can get it, so treasure it.

Blow-by-blow commentary:  Clarice VO.   Nathan has had the Old House Forbesified, or it's been lemon meringued to within an inch of its life.   TRASK!!!   "You must be reverend Trask."  I then ad-libbed for Lacy: "Yes I must, because no one else wants to be."

Things move very quickly once the Reverend arrives, and we get a full blast of Trask here, in his very first episode.   It always stretches credulity for me, though, when anyone on TV manages to keep any adult prisoner while transporting them over long distances and with no weapon or vehicle.

Trask must be very frustrated by the ideas circulating in that era, fuming angrily to himself, "Age of Reason, Shmage of Shmeason!"   His own version of reason tells him that tying a witch to one of "God's creatures" will identify her.   Has he ever stopped and said to himself, "Hey, you know, I'm one of God's creatures too...!"  Though that may be more Greg-like.   And he then would remember that he too is flammable...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:54:43 PM »
I'm spluttering over your last paragraph, MT!

Possibly in honor of Trask's arrival, Abigail is wearing a second costume. Trask very improperly calls her "Abigail" when he should refer to her only as "Miss Collins."

Maybe it's better that Abigail didn't prick her finger while embroidering--no doubt she would have blamed it on Vicki.

AM is actually pretty good here. At first Vicki is pathetically slow to realize she is in danger of her life, but all Nathan's predictions are fulfilled, and more.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »
As soon as Trask had made known his plans to take Vicki from the house my mind went to the possible sexual situations Vicki might find herself in (had this not been DS). I kept thinking of Maugham's Reverend Davidson. Though not really a good example, my mind went there anyway. I also felt prodded on by Natalie's vocal uneasiness about the Reverend taking Vicki to an undisclosed location. And then of course once I saw her tied to a tree, her chest accentuated by the ropes...well.

Vicki should have listened to her foundling home roommate Sandy and instead of moving to Maine should have gone out to Long Island and had herself a ball.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 05:11:20 AM »
Track manifests danger and Vickie is slow  to realize just how dangerous he is. The scene in her room was intense with all the possibilities.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:39:26 AM »
Intense indeed, and quite disturbing (to me).