Author Topic: History of Christmas  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
History of Christmas
« on: December 14, 2003, 05:46:59 PM »
I realize decorating trees is a pre-Christian pagan ritual, but, does anyone know if say in 1795 Maine, the Collins' would've decorated their tree?

Again, New England, staid, no-frills.

(False memory I guess, I could swear I can see a decorated tree in the Old House???)

Oh well, historians....also, what about 1840?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:History of Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 06:24:32 PM »
     I doubt that Abigail would have allowed such a pagan symbol in the house.  The roots of MA and its province would have been puritans.  The parents mentioned by Abigail to her brother Joshua hardly seemed the liberal tolerant types.  Quakers in early colonial times were whipped at the post and sent away in exile.  Many who practiced different customs and religions were persecuted.  Christmas was banned.  However, Collinsport of 1795 some may have celebrated with or without a christmas tree but I don't see the Collins family except for Naomi being among them.
    I have many books on colonial life that I have purchased through some of MA museums.  I was going to put some quotes in but because my children are both in the room celebrating Christmas at high volume I cannot make an intelligent point, at the moment.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 08:18:32 PM »
Colonial New England did not celebrate Christmas AT ALL!!  No trees... (a German tradition that didn't reach England, much less America, until Queen Victoria married her Saxe-Coburg husband Albert)...no parties....no taking the day off....NOTHING!!  They were the descendants of Puritans who thought all of Christmas was a Papist tradition, brought down from paganism.  It was far into the 19th Century before the Christmas we know arrived in America.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 11:09:12 PM »

(False memory I guess, I could swear I can see a decorated tree in the Old House???)

Patti, a couple of years ago, Castlebee posted a picture of Joshua and Naomi sitting in the drawing rom of the Old House to which she had added a small Christmas tree and a few other decorations.  Maybe that's what you remember.

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 01:03:10 AM »
Yes, we have it posted in the fan artwork section of the Members' Archive. But since the archive is offline until we convert to the new system, here it is for everyone to enjoy:

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 05:36:49 AM »
IIRC, Christmas trees were a largely German tradition, which Prince Albert popularized in England in the 19th century.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 05:18:00 AM »
Yes, I always knew it was those Germans that were responsible for all those pine needles on the floor every Christmas time!