Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0945  (Read 1623 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0945
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0945
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »
Jeb to ECS: "You will not tell anyone there that Mrs. Johnson called."  ECS then flagrantly disobeys!   Christopher wasn't supposed to say "not", I'm sure...

Liz and Carolyn not only know the portrait of Ang hanging in her house, from 1968, but they knew that the subject was named "Angelique", didn't they?

Was Jeb terrorizing Carolyn by way of the storm, if so why?... or was that a red herring?   What was that old movie music playing just before Carolyn sees Sky?  I thought he must have turned on the TV.   It's very out of place as DS background music.

We see Leviathan slime on the floor for the first time, more a sort of green-black tar, and more a series of 'clumps' than a steady trail.   As the creature approaches, the sound of chains.... Garth Blackwood's back in town!   Does Carolyn actually see the creature?   ....End.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 07:11:24 AM »
Was Jeb terrorizing Carolyn by way of the storm, if so why?... or was that a red herring?
I think maybe on Dark Shadows the weather is at the mercy of events.  Anthropomorphizing here, I'm imagining Weather thinking to itself, "Darn, there's going to be a murder today, and here I was hoping to do a nice sunny day for the Walk For Anemia."

What was that old movie music playing just before Carolyn sees Sky?  I thought he must have turned on the TV.
I think Sky said something about having turned on the radio, or did I imagine it?  Did anybody recognize that music?

Garth Blackwood's back in town!
Yeah, I was thinking that, too.

Did the writers conveniently forget that the Rumson house is on an island?  Angelique left to pick up Sky, and then Elizabeth left in a car saying that Angelique would be back from Logansport in an hour, and then Sky arrived saying he and Angelique had missed each other.  All that could be managed with an island and a ferry, but not with the greatest of ease.

I certainly preferred Carolyn in peril today to Maggie in peril earlier this week.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »
Liz and Carolyn not only know the portrait of Ang hanging in her house, from 1968, but they knew that the subject was named "Angelique", didn't they?

[spoiler]Vicki and Stokes identified the woman in the portrait as Angelique, but I don't believe Liz or Carolyn were ever around at those times - and who knows if anyone ever told them about it. Info is sparingly shared at Collinwood.  ;)

Now, Liz was around when Barnabas saw the portrait and instantly blurted out, "Angelique!" But considering that Liz' response was merely to say that the woman in the portrait looked "angelic" (boy, can Liz' perceptions be wrong or what?!), who knows if she even heard Barn correctly or how she filed the whole incident away in her memory? I suspect she didn't place much importance on it - even though Barn was acting extremely weird - because she probably chalked it up to one of Barn's eccentric moments because he seems to have what appears to the family to be so many of them.  :D[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:07:44 AM »
Thanks...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 08:38:53 AM »
2/6/70
I love the lamps by the drapes as they are gorgeous.  I am a stickler for antiques though. 
Lara Parker was blessed with such beautiful cheek bones and eyes of course! ;) 

Well it looks like Liz will finally meet her leader and she is I am sure delighted!  Great picture of Nancy of set or it looks like she is on set to me.   I wish it would surface.This scene with Nancy is quite creepy if I must say. 

Is the room that has Sky's bed in it a redress?  It looks very much like part of Josette’s room!??
Is that DS music?  It sounds quite theatrical!   

Trippy Dream Sequence Alert!   Love the disco ball as it works fabulously!  Okay Jebez is creeping me out with his “caressing!” 

Sweet little Alexander?  Huh? 

Nancy Barrett sure would win a scream award if they were handed out.  She is a screamer and a half!  Good episode with a great ending!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:52:10 AM »
So, I wonder why Jeb took that picture of Carolyn with him into his room, hmm? Or is the answer so obvious that the question doesn't even need to be asked?  [naughty]

Talk about heavy breathing.  [b003]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:13:38 AM »
Maybe that's always what the heavy breathing indicates...   And maybe those aren't tentacles...!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 06:41:41 AM »
EWW.....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 03:34:44 AM »
What was that old movie music playing just before Carolyn sees Sky?  I thought he must have turned on the TV.   It's very out of place as DS background music.
I think Sky said something about having turned on the radio, or did I imagine it?  Did anybody recognize that music?

I had no clue, but Bette gave it a listen and recognized the finale, which her SO (not a DS fan, but definitely a fan of music) identified as Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)... even with Carolyn talking and screaming over it.  However, that still doesn't answer your question, because as you can see on that page, some form of the Dies Irae has shown up in a lot of works, including Requiems and symphonies such as "Night on Bald Mountain" (you probably heard it in Fantasia), and just a few of its modern appearances are in "The Ballad of Sweeny Todd," a scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and the Decepticon theme in Transformers.  But one name mentioned by Dave and Bette that uses its melody was Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique," which turned out to be the one.  It sounds so very much better here than on the show: Symphonie Fantastique - 5th Movement (Dreams of a Witch's Sabbath) and if you listen from 7:20 to 7:55, you'll hear the part of the piece that played on DS.

Thanks, Bette and Dave!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »
Thanks, Midnite and Paul and Bette!

My next question that I'm too lazy at the moment to investigate myself is: Was the writer for this episode the same writer for the episode in which Count Petofi mentioned Harold In Italy, which is also by Berlioz?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »
I don't have much to add, except that my dog was visibly upset by Nancy Barrett's multiple screams.

Did anyone else imagine Sky and Angelique singing, "You are my wife.  Good-bye city life!"?

Lydia, who is Paul?  [winkb]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:38:32 AM »
Lydia, who is Paul?  [winkb]
Bette and Dave went into my eyes and continued on to my brain, and came out via my fingers as Paul and Bette.  It may have something to do with Bette's Rolls Royce, a restaurant that used to be in Boston, near Faneuil Hall, but I can't get my brain to cough up anymore information.  It just says, "Wasn't that yellow Rolls Royce pretty?"

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 02:51:35 AM »
Did the writers conveniently forget that the Rumson house is on an island?  Angelique left to pick up Sky, and then Elizabeth left in a car saying that Angelique would be back from Logansport in an hour, and then Sky arrived saying he and Angelique had missed each other.  All that could be managed with an island and a ferry, but not with the greatest of ease.

I certainly preferred Carolyn in peril today to Maggie in peril earlier this week.

Couldn't have Sky been on the Island when he was calling? He could have been lying.
He just wanted to get Angelique out of the house, and Jeb wanted to get Liz off the Island also.

It was suspenseful today.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate