Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #06  (Read 2462 times)

Watching Project 2

Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #06
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:20:40 AM »
For those who may have missed it the first time around, here's the montage for Ep #6 that we created in the forum's VantageNet days to celebrate the '91 series' 10th Anniversary:

And here's the recap:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap_6.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap_6.swf</a>

(To control the play of the video, right-click on it and use the controls.)

Who knows where NBC got the idea that "Barnabas turned his beautiful cousin into a vampire"?!  [hdscrt]
[/video]

(More to come...)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #06
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 01:56:20 AM »
No comments yet on Episode 6?!?

It was interesting to see from the film loop posted at the end of Ep. 5 (previewing this episode) how the scene with Barnabas and Victoria on the veranda at the party originally had such a blue tint.  On the one hand, it's nice to see the colors (of the costumes, etc.) the way the DVD is now. But the blue tint must have given it more atmosphere and a sense that it was nighttime. Wish I had my VHS version with me so I could really compare.

This episode was a good followup to the emotionally strong episode 5, which brought out such touching performances by Jim Fyfe, Ben Cross, and (the actress playing Carolyn - Barbara Blackburn?).

I"ve really grown to like the portrayal of Carolyn; there's something really sad about how someone as strong as she is now being under the domination of Barnabas. But it was also fun the way the old Carolyn is mixed in with the new vassal and she-cat for Barnabas - her words to Julia "Now get out of my room" had a lot of conviction behind them - you wouldn't want to cross her.

The masquerade was marvelous - I wish there had been more to it, though, it was over so quickly. Sarah looked sweet as she looked on above the stairway.

And the vampire scene between Barnabas and his cousin (as the NBC promo styled it, and I have no objection coming from a genealogical perspective) was about the most erotic vampire scene I've ever seen, although it didn't have quite the impact it did on my first viewing. I wonder now what kind of effect the blue tint might have had with the original airing as transferred to the VHS.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 02:57:32 AM »
I will soon.  Birthday and company and celebration all weekend!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:30:07 AM »
I"ve really grown to like the portrayal of Carolyn; there's something really sad about how someone as strong as she is now being under the domination of Barnabas.
I saw it differently.  When Barnabas fed off her in this week's episode, my thought was: "Well, she's happy now.  All that chasing after Joe never got her anywhere, but now she has what she wants."

The masquerade was marvelous - I wish there had been more to it, though, it was over so quickly. Sarah looked sweet as she looked on above the stairway.
The costume ball didn't make much sense to me.  Why was it in the show?  Why was everybody dressed for one time period?  Two possibilities for the latter:

1) The annual ball is always 18th century, which would save a lot of money for guests: the costumes were bought years ago, and are kept in the families for the annual ball, and the local seamstress makes a pile of money every year just before the ball, patching the holes made by the moths.

2) Every year on the invitations (engraved, I hope) the guests are told what period they're to dress for, and there's a rush to the local costume-renter (who has been warned by Elizabeth and has flown in some stuff from the store's New York headquarters), and there are hard feelings for the rest of the year along the lines of "You shouldn't have rented those puce and purple pantaloons.  They would have looked far better on me!"

Either way, it all seemed a little too much for a party in Collinsport.

I was completely unimpressed with Elizabeth's little speech.  It wasn't worth interrupting anybody's conversation for.

I liked the Ouija board set-up, however.  There was a nice end-of-the-party feeling to it.

Offline LeFanu

• Junior Poster
  • Like, I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 03:03:04 PM »
i really liked this week's episode - the mystery deepens and victoria disappears!

i'm not normally a fan of the actress playing carolyn, but i agree with philippe cordier's thinking that she was pretty good in ep #6. i was wondering though, how long barnabas could continue to use her without her sickening and dying, like her cousin daphne did. and i also thought poor joe haskell - his girlfriends always get bitten. have to say, i'd be willing to fill in if he needs a new love interest!

if carolyn had been successful in killing julia either of the times she tried, would barnabas have been more likely to be exposed? it's obvious from the seance that the sheriff hasn't given up on finding the killer. and what if sarah hadn't interrupted barnabas when he was trying to strangle or bite julia on the stairs? what would he have done with her body? barnabas is getting out of control in his desire for revenge against dr. hoffman.

am i alone in finding the appearances of angelique off-putting? the special effects are really well done, but it's just cheesy to me, for some reason. can't say for sure how i think they should've done it, but the shreiking banshee/ghost in the floating chiffon doesn't work for me.

the costume party was weird, now that you point it out, lydia. they do this every year in collinsport - why? it does seem strange that everyone would have access to all of those accurate (at least to my eyes) eighteenth century costumes.  but i did enjoy the moment elizabeth and barnabas shared on the terrace. i really like jean simmons, and i wish the character of elizabeth was more developed.

it was strange when little david accompanied victoria down the staircase during the party. he seemed very stiff and kept looking from side to side - rather distracting. it was an unnatural moment from a kid that seems a generally natural little actor to me. and victoria's party dress was not all that, in my opinion. it kinda looked like coffin lining and was unflattering.

i liked the seance scene - seances in movies and on television are always my favorite scenes. i'd probably be too scared to attend one in real life though. joanna going did a terrific job with the little girl voice of sarah. it was a truly spooky scene, and i thought it was just shocking when victoria disappeared and the eighteenth century governess (played by ellen wheeler appeared). they did well casting Wheeler, i think. she has a different kind of look - for some reason she just seems like she has a face like someone in an old early american portrait. i remember her from the soap "another world" years ago. she's a good actress.

well, that's all for now! can't wait to hear what others think

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 07:56:07 PM »
The costume party was weird, now that you point it out, lydia. they do this every year in collinsport - why?

Because it's fun, the guests get great food, people get to play dress up and hang out with the family who built the town they work and live in. They also get to spend time in an amazing house and the townspeople get together (with the Collins Family)  to let their hair down and have a lovely costume gala and a night of fun instead of hanging out in a rather drab town bar. I could go on....however, I won't!  I thought it looked like a lot of fun and I wouldn't think twice about attending such a regal and elegant looking event, but you know that is just me.  ;) When I was 14 and now at 31 the costume gala was and still is one of my favorite parts of the series.  Maybe I am biased??!   [BOO]

Review will be coming soon!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:57:04 PM »
i'm with those who found the costume part to be hokey and somewhat pointless(as was julia's business of "hiding" behind her fan).plotwise it only served to achieve one aim...to "present" victoria winters as josette dupres to barnabas and the viewers in the classic costume ball stairway descension.

soap operas in general love costume parties and more specifically masked balls.most have at least one such occasion per season and why should this be any different.it at the very least gives the cast the opportunity to dress up although the costumes tend to be rather overblown affairs.

i,for one,have never been invited to a masked ball...sigh.

i too liked the "end of the party feel" to the ouija board game.cute that roger and maggie were the participants.it was like a secret between them.

carolyn's room was a 1980's monstrosity but wasn't it supposed to be upstairs?how did she end up wandering out of the french doors and into the garden?as with daphne before her the attempts to make her encounter with barnabas "sexy" made me wince.

but i'm with those who are finding barbara blackburn's minxy take on carolyn stoddard to be great fun.

the scene with carolyn and joe going to the antique shop was sort of a roundabout way to achieve the end goal but whatever.the program is set in maine but actually filmed in califorinia so what was with the "ye olde colony shoppe" feel of the shopping location?was california ever colonized by the british?the place had a "disney-ish" vibe.

teatime at collinwood.i'll have to check my copy of 'amy vanderbilt's complete book of etiquette' but does one serve cucumber sandwiches at tea?

i can understand why baranabas needs julia out of the way and why he wouldn't want to get his own hands dirty in the proceedings.but is having carolyn kill her really the wisest option?couldn't he find some other way of dealing with her?at the very least carolyn would get charged with murder and be sent to jail.or is maine a capital state?perhaps having julia dead is worth it all to him but it seems like a bad idea.so the scene where carolyn goes to julia's room with a kitchen knife made for great dramatic affect but was kind of dumb.

my first thought on the seance was "what hideously ugly sweaters" everyone had on but once i got into the spirit of it it was fun.

where can vicki be!?!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:14:39 AM »
the scene with carolyn and joe going to the antique shop was sort of a roundabout way to achieve the end goal
I was surprised that the antique store owner didn't dispose of the arsenic himself.  In English whodunits they've got customers signing stuff when they buy poison to kill bees or something, don't they?  I don't know what the regulations are in Maine, but I think the "Oh, by the way, there's no expiration date on that poison, and do you want a bag for it?" attitude could get a guy into trouble.

soap operas in general love costume parties and more specifically masked balls.most have at least one such occasion per season and why should this be any different.
Ah, thanks mscbryk.

Watching Project 2

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »

And here is a new commercial bumper that debuted for Ep #6:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/0201_Bumper_3.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/0201_Bumper_3.swf</a>

[/video]

(More to come...)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:18:29 AM »
Thank you SO much MB!  I am behind but I am gonna post in this thread as soon as I get on the mend.  Obviously you are a collector like me, when it comes to DS and probably other things.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
When serving cucumber sandwiches (or watercress sandwiches, or bread and butter) for a formal tea, the cook should ALWAYS remove the crusts from the bread.  This may not have been written down by Mrs. Vanderbilt simply because it was something people were expected to know.

I liked the scene with the Ouija board.

The business with the fan may have been silly, but I thought Barbara Steele looked ravishing in black lace.

G.

Watching Project 2

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 02:38:11 AM »
Previews:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Previews_6.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Previews_6.swf</a>

[/video]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 04:33:54 AM »
LOVE the trailer.  I just watched that episode and I decide to watch 8 as well just in celebration of Halloween! ;)  My reviews will be up soon!  Here are some lovely pics!

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »
When serving cucumber sandwiches (or watercress sandwiches, or bread and butter) for a formal tea, the cook should ALWAYS remove the crusts from the bread.
I am reminded of an episode of the cooking show Two Fat Ladies where Clarissa remarks you never have crusts on Edwardian tea sandwiches "what else would you give to the poor?"  [hall2_grin]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 11:07:45 PM »
Hey Nelson Collins,

I adore the Two Fat Ladies!  I've been a vegetarian for nearly 28 years and I laugh out loud every time the old dears start on about us.

cheers!  Gothick