Author Topic: Willie & Maggie  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Willie & Maggie
« on: February 07, 2007, 03:53:03 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, there is no greater love on DS as the love Willie felt for Maggie.
You may comment...
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

IluvBarnabas

Re: Willie & Maggie
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:07:08 AM »
I don't know about that....Barnabas pined for Josette for two centuries. Every woman Barnabas met, he compared them to Josette or tried to make them like Josette. He really loved her like he did no other woman (ignoring that stupid twist at the end of 1840).

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:21:45 AM »
Oh Willie pined for Maggie, he carried a torch for her, but I wouldn't say it was DS's greatest love. I'm not sure just what I would say was DS's greatest love. Maybe it was Quentin's love for himself.

Now excuse me while I send an email to someone who I know is gonna want to comment on this.

Alondra

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 04:34:38 AM »
Willie may have pined for Maggie but I wouldn't necessarily call that "love".  And she never reciprocated any feelings of love for him.  She did seem to care for him more so later then when they first met.  ;)

I would say the greatest love on DS was Julia's feelings towards Barnabas, which also was not reciprocated.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 05:21:04 AM »
Willie had some Angelique-like moments when it came to Maggie: he expressed definite interest in getting rid of Joe.

For true love, I suggest Sandor's love for Magda - worth more than $10,000!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 05:37:55 AM »
If I were scaling the greatest loves on DS, Willie and Maggie would be down there. I mean, here's what the list would look like (this is off the top of my head):

In terms of pining and actual love:

1. Barnabas and Josette
2. Barnabas and Julia
3. Barnabas and Angelique

?. Willie and Maggie

You get my point. lol. But I wouldn't discount all that he did for her throughout the series, trying to protect her and do things for her own good, and often taking the fall for Barnabas in the process or taking the beating FROM Barnabas for attempting to save Maggie.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
Re: Willie & Maggie (possible spoilage herein)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 12:24:10 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, there is no greater love on DS as the love Willie felt for Maggie.

Looks like someone just broached my favorite subject.

As far as his love being the greatest on DS, that's debateable. But I'd disagree with anyone who claimed that
it was any less than Quentin's love for his billions of love interests or that Barnabas could love anyone far
more than Willie could.  :P As stated above, he put his life on the line for her multiple times. He even died for
her in House Of Dark Shadows. Despite the consequences-- and perhaps his not being in his right mind at the
time-- he even [spoiler]stole Josette's earrings for her[/spoiler] at the risk of a serious a$$ whoopin'! Does it
actually have to be reciprocated in order for it to be love? Idk. No, genuinely, I really don't. lol... But if this
was some cutesy infatuation, then why is he continuing to put his life on the line for her? He may have felt
guilty for releasing the vampire at first, but he saved her life enough times to at least deserve that "knight in
shining armor title". Instead, I think Willie was just sort of pushed aside and treated as the awkward and
bumbling stable boy with the dismissable crush on a regal lady.

Granted, I'm not saying he deserved her love a thousand times more than Joe did. This wasn't a competition (despite
what Willie might have thought  ;D) but I think when you get past the point where you'd actually lay your
life on the line for the person you care so deeply about, then that's love.

Ah. I also seem to remember the original version of The Little Mermaid where the main character's love was not
reciprocated. Instead of returning her love, the man of her dreams found love in another and was set to marry her (if
I remember correctly). While at sea, the erstwhile mermaid's sisters emerged from the sea and offered her a knife to
kill the prince. They told her to bathe in his blood (I know. Gruesome.) and that that would cause her to become a
mermaid once more. As I recall, she couldn't do it.

My point? For it to be love, it doesn't really have to be reciprocated.

Btw? I think the mermaid protagonist killed herself. You see her smiling spirit in the clouds as the guy she loved married
that other girl.  ::)

Oh, don't get me started on Barnabas and Josette, Brandon.  >:D Didn't Barnabas cheat on Josette? What was
that? A part of her valentines gift? "Yeah, here's some chocolates, my dear, and a beautiful music box. By the
way, I kind of tore up the bedsheets doing that maid of yours." No. My husband knows what would happen to him
if he even laid eyes on another woman. It just ain't happenin'. So I'm not sure that I'd place old faithful above Willie
on my list of greatest loves, personally.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »
I guess I would consider Willie's feelings towards Maggie as being more of a super-crush.  He did (sometimes in his own anti-social way) things that were more like what a googly-eyed schoolboy would do for his teacher, even day-dreaming about marrying her while, deep down, he knew it was never going to happen.

Gerard

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 02:55:41 PM »
Oh, don't get me started on Barnabas and Josette, Brandon.  >:D Didn't Barnabas cheat on Josette?

From what I gathered from the show, it isn't until after his affair with Angelique he fell in love with Josette and learned she loved him, too. [spoiler]I recall one scene where he stated that he didn't think Josette even loved him and that he didn't think she would have him. I've always thought Angelique was before, and instead of being firm with her he left it sort of open ended in Martinique, thinking he would never see her again, anyway. He had a golden opportunity to cheat at the Old House in Angelique's room before Josette arrived, but he refused.[/spoiler]

Willie and Maggie....they're a couple that never was. I would've liked to have seen them together. I would've liked to have seen Willie with one of the main female characters on the show, period. I wouldn't call it the greatest love on the show, I think.....but I do think he loved her. Out of all the people they put Maggie with, I was always like "Why not Willie?". I wanted to see them together after [spoiler]Joe and Maggie broke up, instead of the whole Nicholas fiasco.[/spoiler]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
I think Willie obviously did love Maggie (as others have pointed out he did risk his life for her many times) but I have to wonder if he actually ever really was IN love with her....I mean I think he THOUGHT he was at one time [spoiler]since he was at one time ready to kill Joe over her, but I think deep down he always felt so guilty for not helping her more than he did when Barnabas was holding her prisoner, a guilt that never quite went away.[/spoiler]

I won't argue that Willie was just as capable of loving someone as Barnabas or Julia, because I do think he loved Maggie in his own way, but the greatest love of DS? Not really. I still think that honor goes to Barnabas and Josette, with those two the love was equally mutual between those two.

Doesn't Willie deserve someone who'd return his feelings after all? Maggie only saw him as a good friend, and I don't think her feelings would have changed any. To be honest I would much rather have seen Maggie and Joe get back together.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 06:00:41 PM »
Willie may have pined for Maggie but I wouldn't necessarily call that "love".  And she never reciprocated any feelings of love for him.  She did seem to care for him more so later then when they first met.  ;)

I would say the greatest love on DS was Julia's feelings towards Barnabas, which also was not reciprocated.

I believe that Willie loved Maggie, and I don't think it was just infatuation [spoiler]like Barnabas said one time when he was belittling Willie. I hated it when he said this, and then went on to use Willie's feelings for Maggie to maniuplate him into digging up cadavers for Julia to use in the experiment to create Eve. Willie was totally disgusted by the whole thing, and Barnabas wasn't gonna do it so he had to find a way to get Willie to do it. Willie was even willing to be sent back to Wyndcliff rather than do this (and we know how much he hated Wyndcliff!) but he'd do it for Maggie. I say that's true love. Too bad that she couldn't know what he was willing to do for her sake. It was a lie on Barnabas' part of course since Adam had not threatened Maggie or Willie, he had demanded his mate from Barnabas and didn't care how Barnabas went about fullfilling this demand, only that it was fulfilled. When I saw this episode, I was ticked at Barnabas all over again and this is when I realized that though he had made a lot of changes for the better, he had not changed his attitude toward Willie.[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 06:25:12 PM »
Does it actually have to be reciprocated in order for it to be love? Idk. No, genuinely, I really don't. lol... But if this was some cutesy infatuation, then why is he continuing to put his life on the line for her? He may have felt guilty for releasing the vampire at first, but he saved her life enough times to at least deserve that "knight in shining armor title". Instead, I think Willie was just sort of pushed aside and treated as the awkward and bumbling stable boy with the dismissable crush on a regal lady.

Granted, I'm not saying he deserved her love a thousand times more than Joe did. This wasn't a competition (despite what Willie might have thought  ;D) but I think when you get past the point where you'd actually lay your life on the line for the person you care so deeply about, then that's love.

If it HAS to be reciprocated to be true love that would discount Barnabas' love for Vicki, Julia's love for Barnabas and Willie's love for Maggie, Beth's love for Quentin, and several others I could think of. I think that unreciprocated love can be of the most bittersweet kind.

Willie was Maggie's knight in shining armor, and it's all the sweeter IMO because she hardly ever knew just what he was going through for her protection or if she did know, she couldn't know his motivation.

[spoiler]She never knew that he had to go dig up female cadavers for her sake. She didn't know that the time he was shot outside her house, he was trying to warn her that she was in danger. She later found this out, but at the time she thought he was coming to finish the job that he had supposedly started, killing her just when she was remembering that HE was the kidnapper, not Barnabas. At the time he was framed by Barnabas and Julia (her ring was put in the candlestick in Willie's room for the Sheriff to find) and Willie never found out about this betrayal. And when he kidnapped her and took her to the mausoleum to hide her to protect her from being used as the life force in the experiment to bring Eve to life, she never knew why he was doing something so strange. He couldn't tell her.[/spoiler]

I feel that since she loved Joe she should have ended up with Joe and Willie should have had someone else, not be alone forever. When Joe was out of the picture, Willie should have tried to win her heart then, and he seems to have given up. [spoiler]When she was living at the Old House during the time the family had to vacate Collinwood because of Quentin's ghost, he could have tried then, and later on when she was being victimized by Roxanne, she ends up with Sebastian-come-lately, NOT Willie! Why didn't Willie make a move in her direction after Joe was out of the picture? I don't think I'll ever understand that.[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 06:36:09 PM »
Willie and Maggie....they're a couple that never was. I would've liked to have seen them together. I would've liked to have seen Willie with one of the main female characters on the show, period. I wouldn't call it the greatest love on the show, I think.....but I do think he loved her. Out of all the people they put Maggie with, I was always like "Why not Willie?". I wanted to see them together after [spoiler]Joe and Maggie broke up, instead of the whole Nicholas fiasco.[/spoiler]

I was writing stories about Willie with your's truly. In all my stories Willie is with Alondra or another Mary Sue character of mine. Then I was challenged by Jackie to write a story in which Willie is with a canon character so I wrote a story with him with Vicki and one with Carolyn. Eventually I may write one with him and Maggie.

I feel that the stupid nit writers (which I will refer to them as when they make some blooper IMNSHO!) thought Willie was unworthy of Maggie so they'd pair her up with someone other than Willie such as [spoiler]Nicholas or Sebastian-come-lately who though he had only just come into the show, gets to win Maggie's hand, and there is poor sweet Willie who has loved her forever out in the cold AGAIN, though he saved her life over and over and even at this time he saved her life by finding her in the mausoleum where Roxanne left her to die. She would have died and risen a vampire if it hadn't been for Willie! But who gets her? Sebastian! This ticks me off! >:( I think it's the writers who think Willie is good for nothing but to be Barn's servant forever as they never bring someone into the show for him to love. Oh yeah he was briefly engaged to the never seen Roxanne (not to be confused with Barnabas' Roxanne) but that bit the dust when he was needed by Barnabas.[/spoiler]

To be fair though, I do feel that any woman who Willie eventually fell in love with, would be taking a back seat to Barnabas who always came first with Willie.

Alondra

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 06:45:45 PM »
I'm not suggesting Willie didn't love Maggie - I don't really remember that subplot though I could swear that he did propose some kind of relationship and while flattered Maggie turned him down (but I am usually wrong about these things [ie. Vicki slapping N Blair]  ::) ) - but all the things he did for Maggie don't necessarliy add up to love. What about empathy? What about sympathy? Willie knows more than anyone what it's like to have your life taken away and to become a slave to someone else. Especially an innocent.

The NYC man who jumped in front of a moving train to save a total stranger a few weeks ago wasn't in love with him.

And didn't Willie pretty much try to save/warn/help everyone who was 'someone' that Barn intended to harm. Maybe a lot of his heroics were intended to show how much of a changed man he became.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 06:48:12 PM »
This is just a thought that came to me just now but maybe the writers didn't pair Willie with anyone on the show because JK was coming and going so often in those days.  It would be very difficult to write a story around a character that was off and on again so many times.  They paired Willie up with "Roxanne" but never developed that into the story.  We never see or hear anything about her.

Very well said, Dom.  :)
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/