Author Topic: What did people think that Barnabas and Julia were doing? When not there ??  (Read 2877 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: What did people think that Barnabas and Julia were doing? When not there ??
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 09:39:59 PM »
What did people think they were doing?

um, the Monster Mash?

Maybe the "horizontal monster mash" as Fry once called it on Futurama, when the alien king and queen of Omicron Persei 8 discussed the doing of the nasty!   Yes, that SF TV trivia was pulled straight out of my butt, for your enjoyment!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 12:19:43 AM »
Julia was researching Barn's curse, attempting to formulate a cure. Remember when she told him how his curse fascinated her? She is a scientist, a researcher.
Barnabas on the other hand uses and abuses her.
Throughout the series, they went through quite a rollercoaster ride. We all know how Julia felt about Barnabas and that he didn't return her affection. My personal opinion is that "nothing" happend by way of romantic interludes. I think towards the end of the series, Barnabas found that he had indeed romantic feelings, but was hesitant for one reason or another to act upon them. His only love as far as he is concerned is Josette and Julia didn't fit the bill. She is simply too much a "today's woman".
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 01:26:08 AM »
Yeah, in the very beginning Barnabas did seem to have a problem with Julia being too much of a "modern woman", strong-willed, outspoken.....definitely what he was NOT looking for in a woman at that time.

Oddly enough though [spoiler]it's these very qualities that kept him from accepting her offer of letting him bite her and restore his youth after he aged to his true years. He didn't want to take away her free will or her modern day thinking, however much it irritated him at times.[/spoiler]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 03:03:50 AM »
Yeah, in the very beginning Barnabas did seem to have a problem with Julia being too much of a "modern woman", strong-willed, outspoken.....definitely what he was NOT looking for in a woman at that time.

Oddly enough though [spoiler]it's these very qualities that kept him from accepting her offer of letting him bite her and restore his youth after he aged to his true years. He didn't want to take away her free will or her modern day thinking, however much it irritated him at times.[/spoiler]

Okay. We talking HofDS here?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 03:10:36 AM »

If I didn't know that the writer's hadn't thought of Angelique at that point in the show, I would've just assumed that it's not so much that she's a "modern woman" that bothers him, it's the fact that she tries to take control of him. From a character perspective, it would make sense that Barnabas doesn't like a controlling woman, even if you factor in the time period he was born in...I would imagine that trait reminds of Angelique.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 03:42:05 AM »
Okay. We talking HofDS here?

No, this happened on the show. In House of Dark Shadows [spoiler]Julia deliberately overinjected Barnabas to make him revert to being a vampire (though I don't think she counted on him aging), he realizes what she had done to him and kills her. In the show, the aging of Barnabas was purely an accident, and it's on the show not the movie that she offered to be his victim so he could restore his youth.[/spoiler]

And you're right Barnabas' Bride, Julia's attempts to control him did annoy Barnabas more than anything else....he definitely had enough of that from Angelique!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 03:43:22 AM »
Well Barnabas and Angeligue are another story....

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 03:58:52 AM »
It is my opinion that Barnabas didn't bite Julia during his "transformation" as an OLD vampire because he needed her as his doctor and complete with her facilities.  As his victim, she would be useless as a doctor.  Remember Tom? [vampy]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »
Barnabas cared about Jullia, more than he wanted too !!  :D  The last people that he cared for Died [spoiler]Naomi, Sarah, Josette, he depended on Julia to much have her die. Look at all the times he would be lost without her advise. 1897,1840, and PT 1970 He made some bad mistakes. When he went off on his own, he would mess up, Julia would help him clean things up. Or should I say they would rescue each other.  [hello][/spoiler]
They never got a chance to see things out, except in Fan Fiction.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 09:45:43 AM »
It is my opinion that Barnabas didn't bite Julia during his "transformation" as an OLD vampire because he needed her as his doctor and complete with her facilities.  As his victim, she would be useless as a doctor.  Remember Tom? [vampy]
I don't think you can assume that Julia would be useless as a doctor if she were Barnabas's victim.  I think she'd retain her medical knowledge and skill.
[spoiler]The fact that she went haywire when she was Tom's victim says more about Tom than it does about her; she responded to Tom's need for her as a simple source of blood and of nothing more.  If Barnabas had bitten her and had still wanted to use her medical skill, that would have been available to him.[/spoiler]
But I'm wondering if, as Barnabas's victim, she might have been unable to continue with the treatments to cure Barnabas of his vampirism.  If he was no longer a vampire, he would no longer control her, and perhaps for that reason she would have been as unable to proceed with the cure as she would have been to stake him.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 12:38:29 PM »
Have you all gone completely bonkers?!!! Julia was interviewing Barnabas for her novel about the Collinses history of course! I mean, what else would they be doing?   ;D

I could give you a list, but it would get kind of graphic.  >:D

I've always been pretty indifferent towards the possibillity of a Barnabas-Julia pairing, actually. I think I'll take the boring
route and say that they either went their separate ways (when not there) and did their own thing, or they were
working on whatever it was they were working on at the time. :shrug: Who knows. Thought provoking question, btw. ;) ~DJ

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 02:10:32 AM »
I don't think you can assume that Julia would be useless as a doctor if she were Barnabas's victim.  I think she'd retain her medical knowledge and skill.
[spoiler]The fact that she went haywire when she was Tom's victim says more about Tom than it does about her; she responded to Tom's need for her as a simple source of blood and of nothing more.  If Barnabas had bitten her and had still wanted to use her medical skill, that would have been available to him.[/spoiler]
But I'm wondering if, as Barnabas's victim, she might have been unable to continue with the treatments to cure Barnabas of his vampirism.  If he was no longer a vampire, he would no longer control her, and perhaps for that reason she would have been as unable to proceed with the cure as she would have been to stake him.

Or she might like it (being a vampiress) and tell him to take his sad sob story somewhere else. . she needed to fly to Paris. . (via her new batwings)  [blob10] [blob10]
Julia99