Author Topic: Dreams of DS  (Read 1591 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dreams of DS
« on: June 06, 2005, 10:00:16 PM »
The other night I had an odd little DS related dream so incase you aren't bored enough today, I thought I'd share. 

I was sitting at a table in an outdoor cafe somewhere and over heard some people talking about the show.  They were discussing the character of Barnabas. The people were younger fans who were obviously seeing the show for the first time and didn't realize that sitting at the table behind them (mine) was  none other than the very person who played the character they were speaking of - Jonathan Frid himself.  When I looked over at him, he smiled an almost half wicked smile as though he was getting a kick out of the situation and we were sharing an amusing secret. 

Well, that's it - but what a fun little two seconds of brainwave activity it was.  I can't imagine why I dreamed that out of the blue.  I haven't been watching my DVD's lately and I've even drifted away from here the last few weeks of the semester.  I guess it just goes to show you how much this show can get under your skin (often times even without leaving two odd little holes in your neck). 

Anyone else tend to have DS dreams - not to be confused with dream curses.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Dreams of DS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 10:31:26 PM »
Thank you for reminding me of something I'd forgotten.  During the original run of the show, every time I had a nightmare that resulted in waking up my parents, my mother would invariably yell "Stop watching that stupid Vampire show!!" [lghy]

I haven't thought of that in years and years...... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 12:09:33 AM »
i thought that this qualified me for a stay at wyndcliffe but once in awhile one of the characters(usually vicki)makes its way into one of my dreams.
it's never a dream about the show per se but the character is just in the background of whatever else i'm dreaming about.

the only movie i ever have nightmares about it "the excorcist".it tormented me as a child and freaks me out to this day.for that reason i have to read mark rainey's posts with my hand over the bottom of the screen because his avatar is a clip from the movie. ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 12:28:48 AM »
Great dream CastleBee.
Gosh, I haven't had a dream with Barnabas in it since I was 12 years old.  I was at the movies, I looked over, and there he was sitting next to me.  He smiled at me.  Yes, I had a big crush on him.  But I will never forget it.   [Candle]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline dvlvan26

• Full Poster
  • DS is the Greatest Show on Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 12:41:11 AM »
Hey Everyone, Great Topic!

When I have dreams of DS, I am always hangin' around the characters, eating meals, playing cards, having seances, dancin' with Quentin and the other men down at the Blue Eagle :-*, learning magic tricks fom Angelique ;), time traveling with Vicki and Barnabas [love3], etc.

Love, dvlvan26 who always dreams about DS every night and I am not an original viewer of the show (born 10 years after the last original broadcast).  :)

dvlvan26, Class of 2007

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 05:22:01 AM »

EDIT: Apologies for the length of my post.  I share my weird DS dreams below...

I remember two DS dreams most vividly because they were nightmares and were very scary at the time.  I had these two dreams several years ago:

In one dream, I was in the Old House. There were flickering candles everywhere... the sun was going down... Then the dogs started howling...and howling... and howling... I knew Barnabas was coming... any minute... and that if he caught me there he'd definitely kill me.  I could really sense his ominous presence in the house. The howling dogs and the darkening sky were sending me into a total panic, and I tried to get out but the door was locked... I looked back at the door to the cellar and saw the doorknob to the cellar door start turning...  I woke up in a cold sweat before I ever saw Barnabas (whew!)

In another dream, I was somewhere in the West Wing of Collinwood just standing there. I then heard Quentin's music playing eerily in the empty West Wing.  The room felt very, very cold.  I then peered down the cobwebbed hallway. There, stood Quentin's ghost, with his arched eyebrow, just evilly staring right through me... Suddenly I somehow **am** Quentin!  He's taken possession of me and I am filled with a vengeful, evil desire to do harm to the rest of the people in Collinwood...and to my real-life friends too.  It was scary. In the dream, a part of me was deeply terrified and screaming out for Quentin to stop this!  I felt like I was losing all control of my mind in the dream. It honestly felt like I was becoming possessed by Quentin.  It was a terrifiying feeling. Again, I woke up, totally and completely freaked out!

It sounds like I'm almost filling the David Collins role in these dreams. He was in those same scary situations in the show as I recall. But I was definitely, physically myself in the dream and not David.

I had another DS dream st week where I went into the parallel time room with Elizabeth and the room changed, trapping us in that time.  I desperately tried to convince Liz we were stuck in parallel time but she wouldn't believe me, turned her back to me and said, "I don't want to discuss it any further!!"  LOL!  Even in my dream Joan Bennett stays in character! 

My uncle (who got me addicted to DS back in the early 80s), has lucid dreams. He can control them and makes himself fly and can do all kinds of wild stuff in his dreams simply by willing it. However, the one individual he has never been able to control in his dreams is...you guessed it - Barnabas. Once in a great while Mr. Collins shows up in a dream of his. He says Barnabas scares him in his dream and is an ominous presence which my uncle has no control over even now. And that's been the case since the 60s!

I'd be curious to hear about other DS-related dreams. 

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 05:26:16 PM »
Like mscbryk, I don't really dream about the show itself, but I've had dreams in which one or more of the DS actors pop up. Most recently I had one that really didn't involve me all that much - it was about Midnite. I haven't even gotten around to telling her about it yet, but I suppose now's as good a time as any.  ;)  In the dream, Midnite and several other members of the forum planned and took a road trip throughout the southern US to visit DS-related locations - a trip that was lead by Joel Crothers. The only part of the dream that I remember physically being involved in was when I told her that I didn't want to go along. The rest of the dream was their trip, which I watched as some sort of out of body experience, almost as if it was a movie, the details of which I'll spare everyone.  :-X

Now, considering that 1) there aren't any DS-related locations in ANY of the southern states, and 2) Joel Crothers passed away 20 years ago, I have NO idea what any of that meant. In fact, I seriously doubt even the best Freudian could adequately explain what it actually meant or why I would even dream up something so bizarre!  [lghy]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 06:55:41 PM »
Wow, MB, that IS bizarre!  Did we travel by train?  [lghb]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 07:06:52 PM »
Did we travel by train?

Nope - Nancybe drove. At least that part made sense.  [b003]

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 08:44:40 PM »
Did we travel by train?
Nope - Nancybe drove. At least that part made sense.  [b003]

Gee, I hope I was there, too. Sounds like lots of fun! ;D

Bette
Life works if you let it

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 09:54:36 PM »
Yes, Bette, you were certainly there - along with Julia99, John_in_SC, and a few of the others who travelled to Newport after the 2004 Fest but who aren't members of the forum.  ;)

I can definitely understand why I'd reassemble that group again for another trip. But who knows why, after I'd quite willingly decided not to go along myself, I'd visualize everything as if I had? And who knows why I'd send you all off on a trip lead by a deceased DS actor to places that don't actually exist?  [hdscrt]

If it had to be a deceased DS actor, you'd think I could have at least picked Grayson, considering that many in the group are such big fans of her. And why have Joel Crothers, a man who was born and raised in NYC and who, for all I know, never once stepped foot in the southern US, be the tour guide? Why not have it be the very living Nancy Barrett or Lara Parker - at least they both grew up in the south?  ::)

But then, sometimes there's just no making logical sense of some of the things we dream about, and it's useless to even try.  :D

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 08:17:18 PM »
But then, sometimes there's just no making logical sense of some of the things we dream about, and it's useless to even try.  :D

Hey MB: I couldn't begin to analyze this (or that - whichever movie reference you prefer). HOWEVER, it did occur to me that the part about being able to see the trip without actually being there may relate to the omnipotent nature of your position on the board.   [toothy1]

Cool dreams Penny Dreadful  8) - they sound like complete episodes!  Too bad you can't record them.  I can relate to the way your uncle dreams too.  Often my dreams are extremely vivid, I fly a lot and I have a sense that I am in complete control of the action.  Well, heck, why not - they're my dreams after all and if I claim the right to direct!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 04:21:15 AM »
I once dreamt that Jonathan Frid was on David Letterman's show, promoting his new a cappella group, the FridTones.

I also dreamt that I was watching an episode featuring Nicholas and Julia.  Nicholas was explaining his latest scheme to Julia and ended by saying, "...and then Barnabas will die!"  Julia responded by screaming, "YOU SON OF A BITCH!" and then proceeded to hit Nicholas with her purse, much in the style of Ruth Buzzi as Gladys on LAUGH-IN.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 06:36:13 AM »
I also dreamt that I was watching an episode featuring Nicholas and Julia.  Nicholas was explaining his latest scheme to Julia and ended by saying, "...and then Barnabas will die!"  Julia responded by screaming, "YOU SON OF A BITCH!" and then proceeded to hit Nicholas with her purse, much in the style of Ruth Buzzi as Gladys on LAUGH-IN.

LMAO! OMG John, that made my day... >:D  :-*

I've had several dreams revolving around Julia's lab (yeah, go fig. ::)); always a mysterious experiment going on. A couple times I was poking around - for some reason Julia had a huge table full of mixed drinks (no not the colorful tubes and whatnot, actual drinks) - some kind of snazzy experiment...alcoholic-based super sedative or hypnotic potion I don't know. For some reason I had to deliver these to another part of the Old House...??? 
A few times David was in the dream...acting like a prankster...messing with stuff. Julia always catches him. One time she yelled, a la Judth in 'Night of The Iguana', "Daaaaaavvvvviiiiddd!" And then she grabbed the notes he confiscated and said: "Give me that, you little...beaasssssttt!"  I'm serious. Yeah, I have some odd dreams now and then... 

My mom has had nightmares influenced by DS. In one of them the 1840 characters infiltrated her dream...Judah and his followers ransacked our house while a riotous mob formed outside; then the mob broke down the door, stormed through the house, looking for the 'heathens'. Fire and torches and pistols, oh my... apparently it was quite scary because it was one of those dreams that seemed so real, and brutally graphic..  :P

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 06:22:50 AM »
I recall having dreams where I'm watching the show and there are things going on onscreen that never happened in the show but were undeniably cool. What they were I don't remember.

God, that's like telling a joke and forgetting the punchline. Sorry guys!

One amusing dream I had once was that Sharpe and Teresa from the English TV series (based on Bernard Cornwell's books and featuring Sean Bean) were trying to sell me a credit card in a parking garage while some random guy fell over a railing in the background to the sound of a slide whistle.