Author Topic: Ahh, The Moon Poppy  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re:Ahh, The Moon Poppy
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2003, 04:42:50 PM »
Nanu, thanks for asking about my Katie. I haven't seen her of late. However, she did send me a recent photograph of herself (seen below)with a short note that said: " Hi Bob, Hope all is well. I've just been hanging around in NYC and feeling a bit blue." Poor girl misses me. I think I made a lashting impression on her.

:o That is THE worst jest I've seen since life changed from black and white to color. Woosh!  ::)

--Mark

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2003, 09:53:04 PM »
 ::) Strange Luciaphil should mention an elementary school art closet. The first time I saw the "moon poppy", it looked almost exactly like flowers we made in art class for Mother's Day----we used tissue paper.
                                                                             Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 01:36:21 AM »
You mean that wasn't a real flower??!!

The line that got me was Chris Jennings (part-time werewolf), dismissing Sabrina's offering of the flower to him -- "that's just a legend!"

Right.  Werewolves, no problem.  Widely accepted scientific fact.  But ... a flower called the "moon poppy" that might be a cure for lycanthropy?  How could anyone believe anything so silly?!?

::)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Anubis

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 06:01:57 AM »

The line that got me was Chris Jennings (part-time werewolf), dismissing Sabrina's offering of the flower to him -- "that's just a legend!"

I was thinking the same thing.  I was yelling at the T.V., "What the hell do you think most people think a werewolf is!"   ???

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2003, 04:22:02 PM »
Has anyone ever seen The Werewolf of London, a 1930s movie that had the original introduction of the moon poppy?  I last saw it over 20 years ago.  Found a tape of it at a sale a couple of years back but haven't had time to watch it.  Henry Hull was brilliant in it, and Warner Oland turned in one of his most delectably sinister performances.

Some day, I'll finish my story about Chris Jennings living in New York with a modern day descendant of Gerard Stiles while Aunt Hannah Stokes is diligently cultivating a whole bed of moon poppies and working on his cure...

Gothick

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2003, 04:27:05 PM »
btw I heard a rumor that the next Austin Powers flick is going to feature Dr. Evil cloning Amanda Harris back to life from the remnants of a false eyelash retrieved from Grant Douglas' old houndstooth jacket, found at a Woolworths jumble sale.

Gothick

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2003, 07:24:02 PM »
btw I heard a rumor that the next Austin Powers flick is going to feature Dr. Evil cloning Amanda Harris back to life from the remnants of a false eyelash retrieved from Grant Douglas' old houndstooth jacket, found at a Woolworths jumble sale.

ROFLMAOPIMP!! You're [vryevl]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2003, 07:20:26 AM »
Has anyone ever seen The Werewolf of London, a 1930s movie that had the original introduction of the moon poppy? 

Hee hee, only every year just before Halloween.  ;D  I agree, the Mariphasa lumina was probably the inspiration for the moon poppy, although this rare flower didn't cure the victim of lycanthropy but instead alleviated the symptoms for the night.

By now, Werewolf of London is one of my favorite of the Universal monster pictures, though it took several years and several viewings to grow on me.  This film has a rather unique presentation of the werewolf curse, most likely because it pre-dated The Wolfman and didn't have to submit to the conventions of gypsies and silver bullets.  Botanist Wilfred Glendon falls prey to lycanthropy while traveling in Tibet in search of a rare plant that, unbeknownst to him, just happens to temporarily prevent werewolves from transforming.  That first transformation scene was pulled off very cleverly too.  It is a fun movie!  One particular scene that has always struck me as delightfully comical occurs when Wilfred demonstrates what a civilized werewolf he is by stopping to put on his scarf and hat before proceeding into the night on a killing spree. [lghy]

ProfStokes