Author Topic: 1897!!!! YOU SEND ME!!  (Read 4137 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
1897!!!! YOU SEND ME!!
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:07:26 AM »
Okay, I have no idea if this is spoilage (and if so, if a mod could code).

I cleaned my bedroom today (strains of "Hallelujah" chorus are playing). I came across (in my pile of DS tapes, just thrown on my BR floor) an 1897. Well, I knew we're watching 1897, so, I actually am WATCHING. I haven't watched in better part of a year.

Whoooooooooo!!!!! Barn v. Laura....can it get any better??

Yup...cause then it's Laura v. ANGELIQUE!!!!!! Meow meow!!!

Man...this is sooooooo good..

Behold...it's MAGDA!!! It's Quentin!!!! It's Nora!!! It's Judith!!!

I had forgotten just how enjoyable this arc is. It's waaay over the top, but hey, so's a rollercoaster. Granted, you can't maintain this height, but it's still marvelous!!!

Going to post on a couple of other topics in regards to what I'm watching.

Go ahead people...put a tape in...then tell us what you're watching...go for it!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: 1897!!!! YOU SEND ME!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 02:03:53 AM »
i'm glad that 1897 is spoken so highly of...it's the next major story i have yet to watch.is it as good as 1795(which lately i've been thinking about alot)?one of the main reasons i'm looking foreward to it is the return of laura collins whom i loved from 1966.i'm trying to do the math ahead of time and for the life of me can't figure out how either laura or angelique show-up in that year(don't tell me!).i'm also looking forward to a new character for joan bennett(whom is given a weak part in the story i'm now watching...adam).

my only reservation about watching it is that it will be the first story without my sweet vic...i know i'll miss her. :'(
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 08:50:28 AM »
i'm glad that 1897 is spoken so highly of...it's the next major story i have yet to watch.is it as good as 1795(which lately i've been thinking about alot)?

Obviously, everyone has their favorite and least favorite stories, so I can't speak for all.  1795 is very concise - there are a few side stories, but most of it hangs together very well, we get the explanation for what happened to Barnabas and get to meet Angelique.

1897 is very long and unwieldy.  There is the initial main story, but that branches off into a lot of secondary stories, and then still other things are brought in and most of these threads interact.  In that sense I don't find it as good as 1795, but I always marvel at how they managed to have so many disparate things happening and still manage to connect them and keep the main story going.  And, most of these are very good.  I think 1897 is a favorite of many.  I probably rank it second to 1795.
Josette

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 03:20:09 PM »
i'm glad that 1897 is spoken so highly of...it's the next major story i have yet to watch.is it as good as 1795

I think the opening month of 1897 is superlative ..wonderful.    8)

???  When Petofi shows up things seriously slide---but the sibling bickering between Judith, Quentin, Carl and Edward is priceless and well executed by the actors although the age range is quite staggering.  .Bennett was 59 at the time and John Karlen was 33.  It was fiction I know--but sheesh that's quite a spread and it is apparent---But actors always play with dates, ages, etc.  For instance, Barbara Bel Gedes who played Miss Eliie on Dallas is only 7 years older than Larry Hagman!  :o 
[/b]
Julia99

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 05:23:13 PM »
.Bennett was 59 at the time and John Karlen was 33.  It was fiction I know--but sheesh that's quite a spread and it is apparent---But actors always play with dates, ages, etc.  For instance, Barbara Bel Gedes who played Miss Eliie on Dallas is only 7 years older than Larry Hagman!  :o

Yes, and how about 1795?  Jonathan and Louis were about the same age, yet Louis was playing Frid's father   :)

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 06:23:50 PM »
yes,the age differences in 1795 were mind-boggling!no on can convince me that barnabas and sarah could have realistically been siblings.and naomi was too old to have a child sarah's age.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 08:36:05 PM »
Quote from: Josette
1795 is very concise - there are a few side stories, but most of it hangs together very well, we get the explanation for what happened to Barnabas and get to meet Angelique.

It also has a very good combination of humour, historical awareness, drama, sadness and a bit of lust plus some remarkably "concise" and sharply drawn characters.  It literally sweeps you along. I only wish there were more initial scenes showcasing Barnabas and Josette's relationship before Angelique took over. For such an important relationship Josette and Barnabas were a bit sketchy.

I'll be ordering some 1897 tapes soon. It sounds pretty cool.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 09:39:30 PM »
Eighteen hundred and ninety-seven. What a great year!

This was my favorite time period they did on the show. I loved almost all of it. There are some discrepancies, but all in all a great story. Just like the Barnabas story, it wasn't supposed to be so long. (Barnabas wasn't even supposed to stay with the show for longer than 6 weeks.) This story just became so popular that they didn't want to end it. After they did, they tried to bring it back again with the Gerard haunting and the 1840 storyline, but it was a very pale replacement.

All of the actors get great parts in this timeline. You should really enjoy it.

Misa

PS my second favorite storylines are 1795 and the Barnabas beginning stories. They are a tie.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 10:16:28 PM »
i agree that 1795 was for the most part very concise(although nathan/millicent got clunky at times).it's very involving from the start.but the barnabas and josette relationship isn't as well fleshed out as it could have been for the enormous build-up it's given on the show.it's only a couple of episodes before ang takes over.i guess we're supposed to imagine that their romance took off in martinique and their marriage was supposed to be a culmination of a great love affair.

the 1897 story is extremely long!at the snail's pace i've been watching this thing it will take me a year to get through it! :o

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 01:52:08 PM »
What I found intriguing about the 1897 storyline is how the actors/actresses, some of them at least, played different characters.  I read somewhere that this was made possible for a few of them because of the plot's enormous length.  With so many subplots mixed in with the main one, it afforded them the opportunity to take some much-needed time off to do other stuff or just to get some R&R.  Joan Bennet left for over four months; TLATKLS for almost as long; John Karlen, Clarice Blackburn, and even Jonathan Frid (although, it is said, that he was warned not to get a suntan while out on vacation) took their summer holidays for extended periods of time.  When some of them came back for the continuation of 1897, they played someone new (their original characters either killed off or just written out).  Talk about a whole lotta fun!

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 02:45:58 AM »
When Petofi shows up things seriously slide

I couldn't disagree more. Petofi is one of the greatest, most erudite characters/villians DS ever created - and Thayer David plays him to perfection.    I can't even begin to imagine 1897 without him.

the sibling bickering between Judith, Quentin, Carl and Edward is priceless and well executed by the actors

However, here we totally agree. The scenes between the siblings were wonderfully written and it's easy to see that the actors really enjoyed what they were given because they played those scenes to the hilt.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 03:16:36 AM »
I couldn't disagree more. Petofi is one of the greatest, most erudite characters/villians DS ever created - and Thayer David plays him to perfection.  (IMG)  I can't even begin to imagine 1897 without him.

Well, MB, now Darling YOU send/t me!!!!!

(For those newer to this board, Petofi is my absolute fav!!!!!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 01:02:20 AM »
1897 was originally to have lasted three months as Dan Curtis said in an interview.  Does anyone have any idea what they originally may have outlined for 1897?  Perhaps it was more like 1795 with Barnabas just standing on the sidelines watching the events play out.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 04:33:27 AM »
I'm watching the period just prior to 1897.  Liz has just dropped Julia off in a basement room somewhere in the mansion so that she (Julia) can have a look around at old family pictures, etc., stored there and naturally the lights go out and the door is locked.  Julia makes some fascinating discoveries. David and Amy are great as the little possesed evil beings who wreak havoc on the main house while under the control of Quentin.  I'm thinking how well thought out all the different elements are at this point and it only gets better moving forward! Barnabas look especially nice in his cool mod suits and stylish ties.  Julia's hairstyle is fabulous and so becoming on her!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 03:00:22 AM »
the sibling bickering between Judith, Quentin, Carl and Edward is priceless and well executed by the actors although the age range is quite staggering.  .Bennett was 59 at the time and John Karlen was 33.  It was fiction I know--but sheesh that's quite a spread and it is apparent---But actors always play with dates, ages, etc.  For instance, Barbara Bel Gedes who played Miss Eliie on Dallas is only 7 years older than Larry Hagman!  :o 

my greatgrandmother had 12 children and the oldest was 26 when the last one was born ick! the poor woman was always nursing!

1897 is my favorite Patti (1795 a very close second)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV