Author Topic: A subtle issue in the 1897 plot  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
A subtle issue in the 1897 plot
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:57:47 AM »
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Recall late in the 1897 plot where Barnabas is staked by Charity, and several episodes later Barnabas reappears claiming to be a different person from the vampire who was destroyed. Later on we find out that, in fact, he is the original Barnabas, and the one who was staked was a twin of Barnabas summoned by Angelique. The problem crops up when:

Quentin(Petofi) brings in Charity and asks her whether the "new" Barnabas is actually the same person who originally showed up at Collinwood several months before. For some reason, Charity says "I've never see this man before". This implies one of two things: the Barnabas who Charity met in the first place was the twin, meaning that the twin had actually been around for quite a while ... Where was the real Barnabas all that time??? The other possibility is that the "new" Barnabas is not the original Barnabas, and the original Barnabas is actually dead ... Of course, I'm assuming that Charity's psychic powers are infallable (which we are basically lead to believe).

Any thought on this apparent problem?
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A subtle issue in the 1897 plot
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:03:25 AM »
I guess one possible explanation is that Barnabas or (more likely) Angelique disrupted her psychic powers temporarily, but I was hoping for a more satisfactory explanation supported by things actually said on the show

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:04:13 AM »
Or Charity/ Pansy Faye could see that Barnabas was less evil then Petofi/ Quentin.
So she lied to Petofi. That is what I always thought.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:11:42 AM »
Good point-- particularly since we know Charity knows Quentin is Petofi. Thanks!!  [easter_wink]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:00:46 AM »
Garth, I see you managed to find your picture!!  Meanwhile, welcome to the Board!  [easter_smiley]
Josette

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 08:11:09 AM »
Thanks Josette. RachelDrummand was kind enough to help me find some pics of the Master of Dartmoor  [easter_grin]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 09:29:16 AM »
I don't remember that scene, but I imagine that Barnabas's transformation from vampire to human confused the psychic issue.  If Pansy indeed said, "I've never see this man before" then it would be sort of true, because previously in 1897 Barnabas wasn't technically a man.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 01:05:11 PM »
Edward believed it was not the same Barnabas. But Quentin/Petofi believed it was the same
Barnabas.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Recall late in the 1897 plot where Barnabas is staked by Charity, and several episodes later Barnabas reappears claiming to be a different person from the vampire who was destroyed. Later on we find out that, in fact, he is the original Barnabas, and the one who was staked was a twin of Barnabas summoned by Angelique. The problem crops up when:

Quentin(Petofi) brings in Charity and asks her whether the "new" Barnabas is actually the same person who originally showed up at Collinwood several months before. For some reason, Charity says "I've never see this man before". This implies one of two things: the Barnabas who Charity met in the first place was the twin, meaning that the twin had actually been around for quite a while ... Where was the real Barnabas all that time??? The other possibility is that the "new" Barnabas is not the original Barnabas, and the original Barnabas is actually dead ... Of course, I'm assuming that Charity's psychic powers are infallable (which we are basically lead to believe).

Any thought on this apparent problem?

This is a very good question and I've wondered about it myself. Here's what I've come up with:

The Charity who first met Barnabas as a vampire was the real Charity Trask.....the uptight, self-righteous minister's daughter. After Barnabas was exposed as a vampire, she was free from his power and never saw him again until AFTER she was possessed by Pansy....Pansy only knew the "vampire" Barnabas, the one she staked in the cave. That was the doppelganger....then when the real Barnabas shows up again, this time as a human, she knew it was not the same man she had killed.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
You know, it never occurred to me that Charity/Pansy might be lying to Quentin/Petofi because she knew he was evil, but that's a good take on it.

I just always figured either a) Charity/Pansy knew it was the same person, but was being technical about it - e.g. she'd never seen this man before, because previously he wasn't human, or that 2) She really didn't know it was the same guy - she "saw" Barnabas differently because he wasn't a vampire. 
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 06:21:52 PM »
I don't remember that scene, but I imagine that Barnabas's transformation from vampire to human confused the psychic issue.  If Pansy indeed said, "I've never see this man before" then it would be sort of true, because previously in 1897 Barnabas wasn't technically a man.

That's what I was thinking.   Becoming human=becoming a different creature.    That might overwhelm her impressions.

Real Pansy did meet Barnabas for what little it's worth...

"Charity-Pansy" didn't meet Barnabas before staking him?    Doesn't that breach 19th century etiquette?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 08:54:57 PM »
"Charity-Pansy" didn't meet Barnabas before staking him?    Doesn't that breach 19th century etiquette?

[lghy]  One would have thought she would have waited for a formal introduction, wouldn't one? But no! Shame on her!  [sad3]

But seriously, the Pansy part of Charity-Pansy had certainly met Barnabas (who can forget THAT hilarious encounter [stfl]) - and she blamed Barnabas for Carl's death. That was her whole point in staking him.