Author Topic: An interesting irony (re: DS' cancellation in 1971)  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting irony (re: DS' cancellation in 1971)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 12:51:53 AM »
Yet, whatever network initially aired it decided to cancel it even before all the filmed episodes were shown.

ABC canceled The Night Stalker in the middle of a two-part storyline. They ran part 1, but part 2 was never shown on ABC. Talk about disrespecting their audience by keeping them hanging.  [ghost_rolleyes]  But that's just par for the course these days...

And don't forget about NBC's decision to ax the DS remake.

At least NBC eventually figured out they'd made a mistake. But by the time they did, there was such a bitter taste in DC's mouth that he didn't even want to hear their offer to revive the show as a series of made-for-TV movies.  [ghost_sad]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 01:28:34 AM »
Well, I don't blame Dan Curtis one bit, MB.  The man made one of the most successful minseries in history (War and Remembrance), and NBC treats his latest work like a piece of you-know-what because they screwed up.  I would've felt insulted by just tossing a bone by having a made-for-TV-movie to tie everything up.  I can just imagine how Curtis felt.  I found a lot of fault with his remake of DS, as expressed in posts dealing with the subject (those palm trees! - those horrible palm trees! - you all know how I feel about those rancid palm trees!).  But I think the kinks could've been worked out and the whole project would've been a seven-year massive success.  Shame on NBC.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 04:28:03 AM »
Actually, NBC's Warren Littlefield proposed a series of made-for-TV movies, similar to what NBC was doing with Perry Mason. The offer wasn't simply one movie to tie up loose ends.  [ghost_smiley]

And as far as palm trees in Collinsport goes, once and for all let's get real - if one honestly thinks about it, they're probably quite appropriate. Yes, Collinsport is in Maine, a state where palm trees shouldn't be likely to be seen. However, Collinsport is hardly the typical Maine locale, now is it? I mean, the grass stays green all year round, the never falling leaves stay fresh and green on the trees all year long - even the ivy on Collinwood itself is some unknown species of evergreen. If palm trees would be likely to be spotted in anywhere in Maine - lo, in anywhere in New England - it would certainly be in Collinsport! Their presence would merely be perfectly in keeping with all the other extremely odd flora of the region.  [b003]  And I say not only palm trees, but bring on the coconut tress, the banana trees, and, yes, even the cactus! They should all be seen in Collinsport all year long!!  [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 06:09:38 AM »
By the way, Dan Curtis did the Night Stalker and Night Strangler TV movies, but not the series.    And even though I was mad at ABC for decades for the cancellation, toward the end of his life Darren McGavin said that he decided to pull the plug himself.  I forget the reason.   I could have sworn that in earlier years, he'd expressed anger at ABC for that.

I loved that show mainly for the attitude and humor, but once in awhile something genuinely scary would happen.    [spoiler]In the zombie episode, when Kolchak is in a cramped junked car trying to sew a "sleeping" zombie's lips shut, the zombie's eyes unexpectedly open, and since we know it took Kolchak forever to crawl into that tight space, we know he can't get out in time.... that was so effective they edited that moment out in reruns.

"The Spanish Moss Murders"... best and scariest one, I think.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 06:21:40 AM »
By the way, Dan Curtis did the Night Stalker and Night Strangler TV movies, but not the series.

Though DC did get a complimentary title (something like consultant, even though he had no actual involvement) on the '05 reimagining, which is the version to which Gerard was referring.  [ghost_smiley]

This topic is veering way off from the way it started. But, hey - it happens. So long as it stays DS related, it's all good.  [wink2]

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 06:36:06 AM »
There was a guy who worked for NBC back in the 80's. I can't remember his name, but he brought shows
like Miami Vice and Quatum Leap to NBC. He left NBC in 1990 to go to work for Paramount Pictures. I believe
if he would have stayed at NBC for another year, he would have given the DS remake another chance.

That is why I believe the WB Network is going to regret rejecting another DS remake from Dan Curtis back
in 2004.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 06:40:03 AM »
You're thinking of Brandon Tartikoff, Doug. And, yes, he was a big supporter of the '91 DS. In fact, it was Tartikoff who convinced DC to bring DS back for NBC. But once he left, Warren Littlefield was named as his replacement, and he was not a supporter of DS - well, until he saw the error of his ways - but by then it was too late...

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 11:52:14 PM »
Remember the ABC TV show S.W.A.T. back in the mid to late 70's? The ratings were decent, but ABC
went ahead and gave in to some organization who was demanding the show to be canceled, because
of the violence.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 02:41:37 AM »
Just think about all tlhe Money that was made from Star Trek and Dark Shadows after they went off the air.
The networks would now like a part of that.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 09:40:28 AM »
Remember the ABC TV show S.W.A.T. back in the mid to late 70's? The ratings were decent, but ABC
went ahead and gave in to some organization who was demanding the show to be canceled, because
of the violence.

That happened to The Wild Wild West too.

Just think about all tlhe Money that was made from Star Trek and Dark Shadows after they went off the air.

CBS owns Star Trek now.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 11:15:01 PM »
I remember back in the early to mid 90's, NBC had this show called "I'll Fly Away". The ratings were bad and
NBC kept begging the viewers to watch this show. At that time, I was wondering why NBC did'nt do the
same for DS.  [ghost_azn]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 11:10:47 AM »
Oh, but "I'll Fly Away" was high-concept.  No network ever saw Dark Shadows that way.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 07:50:44 PM »
I'm never quite sure what people mean by "high-concept".    It sounds great, certainly.

Offline Master Tad Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 08:21:40 PM »
I too liked the DS remake, flaws and all. I watched it at the time in 1991 but not since. I heard there was a pilot made for the 2004 version but I've never seen it. Is it on DVD?

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
Yes there was a pilot made for the 2004 version. Dan Curtis presented it to the WB Network and they
reject it. They will regret it, just like NBC did.