Author Topic: General Fest Questions  (Read 3307 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
General Fest Questions
« on: July 16, 2006, 04:52:52 AM »
1) How many guests usually attend the fests?

2) I've read that the plans rarely run according to schedule. Are the changes announced? How does one keep up?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: General Fest Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 05:17:16 AM »
1) If you mean DS stars/personnel, it probably averages out to around a dozen per Fest, give or take a few. If you mean fans, anywhere from several hundred to well over a thousand. NY Fests tend to attract more than LA/West Coast Fests. Not surprisingly, attendance at Fests has greatly increased since DS debuted on Sci-Fi. And with this upcoming Fest being the 40th Anniversary, well, I'm expecting a HUGE crowd. The simple fact that the hotel sold out so early would certainly seem to indicate that.

2) By the seat of their pants.  ;)  They may announce that such and such an event has been postponed until a certain hour - but even at that one can't always expect that time is actually when it will come off. For example, the starting time of the WB pilot in LA was delayed at least twice. I believe it finally started at least two hours after it was listed in the program.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:46:17 PM »
...By the seat of their pants.  ;) 

LOL!  I have to say that the couple of fests I've been able to attend (so far) I had a really great time.  I hope this one is outstanding and I sure wish I could be there - quirks, delays and all.  I'm looking forward to the usual great selection of photos and reports - though I'll obviously be green with jealousy as I go throuhg them...hee hee. [62b2]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 01:29:31 AM »
I got word from home that I received in the mail a receipt from DS Fest for my advanced payment - is this what I'm supposed to take with me to get my badge?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 01:45:38 AM »
I got word from home that I received in the mail a receipt from DS Fest for my advanced payment - is this what I'm supposed to take with me to get my badge?

Yep....that's what you need to show.  I think I might also tuck my cancelled check into my wallet just in case.

What I'm wondering now is: why did I get another mailing of the Fest materials today, since I'm already registered to be there?  That's a waste of money if they're sending duplicate mailings to those who have already been to a Fest before....[hdscrt]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 04:52:34 AM »
What I'm wondering now is: why did I get another mailing of the Fest materials today, since I'm already registered to be there?  That's a waste of money if they're sending duplicate mailings to those who have already been to a Fest before....[hdscrt]

I got one too, so did a lot of other ppl.  Guess Ann Wilson had a brain fart, LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »
Now I know what you've been talking about, why don't they just send us a badge instead of a receipt to turn in for a badge? I'm sure there's a good reason, I just can't think of what it might be ???

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 09:06:37 PM »
Maybe the badges don't get made up until later.  Like, the day before the Fest starts?  Like, the morning it starts, somebody saying, "Did anybody do anything about the badges?"  "Wasn't Nancy going to do that?"  "Where is Nancy, anyway?"  "Who's Nancy?"

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 11:28:53 PM »
Maybe the badges don't get made up until later.  Like, the day before the Fest starts?

The Badge is a plain sticker with DS on it that they generally handwrite your name on. . . ;D
Julia99

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 07:17:01 PM »
does anyone know if they are saying that this will be the "last" fest?

remember they said that three years ago with the brooklyn fest and then the next year they called it something else.

are they saying either way or not at all?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 08:24:57 PM »
does anyone know if they are saying that this will be the "last" fest?

mscbryk, I haven't heard anything about that either way.

remember they said that three years ago with the brooklyn fest and then the next year they called it something else.

Oh yes.  Since we had the final Fest in 2004, next came the Hollywood Weekend 2005 followed by this year's 40th Anniversary Celebration Weekend.  :P

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 08:31:49 PM »

PansyFaye (who occasionally reads the Forum, btw) usually sends out a schedule of events close to Festival time.  Though the same info is here too, not all DS fans are online, and they may not subscribe to the ShadowGram newsletters.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 09:07:18 AM »

Oh yes.  Since we had the final Fest in 2004, next came the Hollywood Weekend 2005 followed by this year's 40th Anniversary Celebration Weekend.  :P

Actually, I thought the final one was in 03 in Brooklyn and 04 was in Tarrytown.  What I really think they meant was the final regular fest and then they called them a week-end.  We still all call it a Fest so there. 

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »

Actually, I thought the final one was in 03 in Brooklyn and 04 was in Tarrytown.  What I really think they meant was the final regular fest and then they called them a week-end.  We still all call it a Fest so there. 
are less people going to them each year?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 03:03:59 PM »
Not to be nit picky but, the last DS event I attended was Tarrytown in '04 and I thought that was the first year they referred to it as the Dark Shadows Weekend.  (Of course, that was only my second all total so what the bleep do I know :- )

Call it a weekend, shindig or a royal pomenade, to me they will always be fests.  ;D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad