Author Topic: The June 27th Episodes (Spoilers!)  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The June 27th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« on: June 27, 2005, 11:19:04 PM »
One thing that I found interesting while rewatching the DS episodes that originally ran on June 27th was how certain elements of the stories either reference things that had happened the previous year or compare/contrast with previous events. For example, in episode #1 Vicki begins her friendship with Maggie when she first meets her at the coffee shop and in episode #262, thinking that Maggie has been killed by the "maniac" (I love how that's the way they constantly refer to Maggie's kidnapper  ;)), Vicki recalls that meeting.

It's also interesting, though hardly surprising to see how much the supernatural elements overtake the action as the show progresses. There's absolutely nothing supernatural going on in eps #1 and #262. However, in ep #523 we have a warlock running around town looking for his missing witch "sister". And by ep #785 all manner of supernatural things are taking place what with Minerva's ghost terrorizing Judith, a man whose been terribly dfisfigured by a disembodied hand with magical powers, and a gypsy who attermpts to use said hand to remove a werewolf curse. And not once in ep #785 does anyone offer to serve tea. It's enough to make one wonder if the impeccible Collins manners that Liz exhibits in ep #1 skipped a couple of generations.  [lghy]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: The June 27th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 12:12:46 AM »
thanks for the cool slideshow mysterious!
your analyzation of the june 27th episodes is interesting too.even though barnabas had been introduced by episode 262 the show was still paced much as it had been in episode one.but by episode 523 we are essentially seeing a different show entirely.it's hard to believe the two episodes were filmed only a year apart.i haven't seen episode 785 yet but it seems even more "out there". :P

what was happening on june 27th 1970?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 02:02:20 AM »

It was a Saturday.  ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 03:39:15 AM »
Oh my Goddess.....what a fabulous new way of seeing DS!!

The slide-show arrangement is a wonderful replacement for the montages....and I love the idea of bringing images of the same date, in different years, together.

Outstanding, Pepe.....just when one thinks there can't possibly be a new viewpoint on the show, you manage to come up with a multi-year perspective.  Very clever indeed!!   :D

One can only hope that Mr. Curtis is giving the 40th anniversary year as much attention as this forum is. ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 08:21:08 AM »
It was a Saturday.  ;)

After reading that explanation, I've noticed that 1 or 2 years are missing every day, presumably Saturdays and Sundays.  Given that you have most of the year to go yet, does anyone know offhand if there are any days in which there's an episode from all 5 years?
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 11:30:24 PM »
does anyone know offhand if there are any days in which there's an episode from all 5 years?

It certainly seems unlikely. I've only mapped out the eps through the end of August, but already there's a discernible pattern to the week:

Sundays: 4 eps (1966 was also a Sunday)

Mondays: 4 eps (1970 was a Saturday)

Tuesdays: 3 eps (1969 was a Saturday; 1970 was a Sunday)

Wednesdays: 3 eps (1968 was a Saturday; 1969 was a Sunday)

Thursdays: 4 eps (1968 was a Sunday)

Fridays: 4 eps (1967 was a Saturday)

Saturdays: 3 eps (1966 was also a Saturday; 1967 was a Sunday)

Though, of course, that's barring pre-emptions.  ;)

1968 was a leap year, so the pattern will change for March, April, May and the first three weeks of June. (I'm assuming it should shift to S:4, M:4, T:3, W:3, T:3, F:4, S:4 for March 1st through April 2nd and then to S:3, M:4, T:3, W:2, T:2, F:3, S:3 thereafter.)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 12:35:22 AM »
Interesting - I was wondering about pre-emptions, if that would affect it, but I guess that would just mean one more "missing" for that date and wouldn't change the pattern.
Josette