Author Topic: Jewelry Part of the Plot  (Read 2110 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Jewelry Part of the Plot
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2002, 11:29:06 PM »

Didn't Bruno have some necklace he wore?

How could I have forgotten the Leviathans?  Megan Todd had a Naga locket.  All of the followers carried some form of the insignia to identify themselves. I think Bruno wore a ring, but Aristede carried a medallion until Quentin stole it to help his daughter Lenore.

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2002, 11:33:31 PM »
Just thought of another one. Laura's locket. The one she was wearing around her neck,  that supposidly she was also wearing when she died in the Phoenix fire. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2002, 12:16:33 AM »
Just thought of another one. Laura's locket. The one she was wearing around her neck,  that supposidly she was also wearing when she died in the Phoenix fire. ;)

and of course the famous(at least to us) Barnabas ring :D
jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2002, 12:32:01 AM »
Hi Cassandra,

haven't mentioned yet how much I love your handle.  Cassandra is my favorite Lara Parker character on the show, and one of my all time favorite DS characters, period.  I love her clothes, her wigs, her look, the way she swings wildly between smug complacency and rampant hysteria. She's such fun.

The 'five point medallion" Magda and Beth used to protect themselves from the werewolf attack is called a Pentagram.  It is very ancient.  Members of an ancient Greek society called the Pythagoreans (after the philosopher Pythagoras) first used it.  The standard explanation is that the five points of the star represent the 4 elements harmoniously interacting with human beings to produce a dynamic balance in the Universe.  There are several esoteric explanations behind the use of the five pointed star by modern day Pagans and Witches.  Unfortunately, a lot of people think of Satanism when they see the Pentagram.  

Sorry for nattering on,

Steve

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2002, 08:44:30 AM »
Hi Gothick, (Steve) Thanks for the info on the 5 point medallion.  :)  I have read up some on the subject because it does facinate me. I remember reading the myths also. It was the belief that if the star of the pentagram was pointing upwards, it was considered a good sign,therefore protecting you from harm. Facing downward, however, was considered to be a sign of satanism.                                                                           Glad you also like Cassandra. I thought she looked pretty cool in the black wig. She looked good in any hairstyle, but this was a nice change for her. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2002, 09:22:41 AM »
In parallel time Roxanne used RT Julia's brooch to find out where PT Angelique had stashed her.  :)

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2002, 02:19:12 PM »
In parallel time Roxanne used RT Julia's brooch to find out where PT Angelique had stashed her.  :-)

Bette

You reminded me -It was Amanda's brooch that Angelique used to make Quentin come back with her.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2002, 07:50:04 PM »
Hi Cassandra, glad you share my appreciation of Cassandra Collins!  She's such a fun character.

As for the pentagram, you are correct that Satanists use the "upside down" star (2 points up, 3 down) because that is an ancient sign of the Horned God.  If you look at the star the right way, it resembles a goat's head with the "bottom" two points are upright.

Witches and Pagans today in certain traditions still use the "upside down" star when working with the Horned God or other Sacred Masculiine energies.  The association with Satan or the Devil is a perverted form of Christianity (i. e. Satanism) which has nothing to do with pagan traditions.  It is similar to the svastika which is a powerful symbol for goodness that was perverted by Hitler ... most now will not touch it, and that's a shame.

Didn't Will Shakespeare have a line about "the evil that  men do lives on after them ... the good is oft interred"?  Ah well.

This was a good topic.  I had forgotten how frequently jewellry figures in the plots of DS. There are many more instances not yet mentioned.  PT Angelique used Maggie's pearls to enchant her.  In 1897 our own Angelique used a "jewel of antiquity" in a spell to take over the mind of Gregory Trask.    Magda took a garnet brooch from Rachel Drummond to try and raise money to help her get out of Collinsport.  So many other instances.  Mrs. Stoddard in PT with her hatpins.

Steve