Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0812  (Read 505 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0812
« on: October 15, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »
Robservations #812

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0812

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »
Is this the first Quentin/Nora scene?  Nice, considering the rest of the time he's threatening to kill Charity.  Welcome Amanda Harris, I suppose.  Welcome back Tim.  He wasn't gone long.  Most of the time he was being talked about as missing, he was bouncing around Collinsport.  Was it just a very successful weekend in New York?  The Hand liked him and showered him with riches, and he's the new Count of Monte Cristo, out for revenge, like Burke.  Tim: "I shall be meeting you on the back road to salvation."  Is that a quote?  What from?  Amanda gets to work fast.  Next we see her, she's already in the drawing room, duping Trask.  Enter Quentin, his girl-dar having pinged rather noisily I'm sure. 

Quentin sees Tim and Amanda at the Inn, in that lobby we saw in episode one, and ransacks Tim's room for the Hand.  No time for Amanda's room as he's nearly caught.

We now begin the phase of DS in which Collinwood is constantly being entered by whoever, with people going right up to residents' bedrooms like they were hotel rooms.  Here, it's Tim visiting Nora to stash the Hand there, but after, alone, Nora can't resist, and starts opening the package.  End.

[candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »
I think this is the first scene with Quentin and Nora. I'm sure that Quentin has Lenore in mind when dealing with Nora.

Poor Edward! Failing to kill Quentin is probably his first failure as a butler, and now he has to pay.

Yes, welcome (I guess) Donna McKechnie. Clearly Tim and Amanda are in a business partnership, but it seems they enjoy each other's company in more ways than one. Whatever we may think of Amanda, the scenes with her and Tim are well done. When Amanda complains about being cooped up in her room, Tim reminds her that the past two weeks have been profitable for her, so I suppose we can infer that he's been away for that long and maybe another couple of days to find a suitable accomplice.

Amanda really pours it on in her meeting with Trask. Ha ha ha! But how quickly Quentin forgets Beth. He still has a ways to go.

Once Amanda returns to the inn, she wants to go out. Tim grudgingly agrees to a walk down by the docks--exciting!

Quentin enters the lobby of the hotel (which will be unchanged all the way until Chris Jennings’s arrival in 1969). There is no desk clerk (and perhaps won’t be until Mr. Wells in 1966, played by Conrad Bain!). Quentin hears someone coming downstairs and hides. He sees Amanda leave with Tim Shaw, now also wearing a handsome gray top hat. (There is a phone on the front desk as well as the phone in Tim’s room. But in 1897, the lobby phone would have been the only one in the whole building!)

After his unsuccessful search, Quentin looks around at the mess. Suddenly he hears Tim tell Amanda, I’m sorry you’re bored. But once my plan is accomplished, we’ll have more money than we’ll know what to do with. Before he’s done saying this sentence, Quentin--who must be more than unusually agile--has escaped out the (upper-story) window.

Tim turns out to be quite the user as he leaves the hand with Nora. He's wrapped it in a box, and it does look very enticing.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »
(There is a phone on the front desk as well as the phone in Tim’s room. But in 1897, the lobby phone would have been the only one in the whole building!)

Thanks for this.  I always like my sense of the times to be fine-tuned further...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor