Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0949  (Read 1020 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0949
« on: March 05, 2010, 12:58:15 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0949
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:19:09 AM »
It seems like Jeb shouldn't have to bludgeon people (like Phillip) with candlesticks.   If he's only formidable when in his true form, is he such a huge threat?   

It's basically true that Philip murdered Guthrie.   He lured him there and locked the door, and after turning against the Leviathans, and knowing better.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:35:12 AM »
It seems like Jeb shouldn't have to bludgeon people (like Phillip) with candlesticks.
That candlestick really distracted my attention.  As soon as I saw it, it was obvious that it was there for a reason.

It's basically true that Philip murdered Guthrie.   He lured him there and locked the door, and after turning against the Leviathans, and knowing better.
Philip believes that Megan is still worth sacrificing himself for.  He must know he can't save her soul that way, but he's willing to do what it takes to save her body.  He has no reason to believe that Jeb will keep Megan alive any longer than she's useful to him - but I guess he can't let himself be Jeb's excuse to kill her.  It's terribly sad.

Inspector Guthrie had a nice early Sixties look to him, I thought.  He seemed like sort of a lightweight, which may have been part and parcel of that nice early Sixties look.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:22:23 PM »
Guthrie was too independent for his own good.

In the Inspector's own words, the first two murders had unusual aspects, yet Philip has now formally confessed despite there not being a lick of evidence that he committed them.  But I suppose it's a discussion better left til later.

Since Michael Hackett obviously could not have been any relation of Buzz's, and James Blair wouldn't have been related to Nicholas, I'm guessing that we're not supposed to infer any familial ties between Lawrence and Dr. Peter Guthrie.

Carolyn to Amy, who is too frightened to speak with Quentin:  "There's not a reason in the world not to talk to him."
Quentin:  "No, Amy. There's not a reason in the world."
Not in this world, anyway.  ::)

Was this the final appearance of Quentin's ghost?

Inspector Guthrie had a nice early Sixties look to him, I thought.  He seemed like sort of a lightweight, which may have been part and parcel of that nice early Sixties look.

Using his performances in Sam's Song (made the year before he was on DS) and The Swap (which added new scenes of him as the same character that were filmed 10 years later) as a reference, I really appreciate the acting he did on DS.  As Andrew, he's the polar opposite of Guthrie-- he's smarmy and privileged, and he makes no secret of having the hots for the girlfriend of Robert DeNiro's character (the Sam in the first title), eventually dumping his wife for her, which I'm guessing is the part of the plot that inspired the 2nd title.  I won't even get into why Andrew is revealed to be gay in the 2nd movie, but whatever.  Anyway, The Swap is dreadful, but I think DS fans should see it, though that's mostly because DeNiro's gal is played by Terry Crawford.  It's also the movie in which she got topless, if you care about that.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »
Ah, The Swap is online--a single vid but with ads.  The DS actors are listed in the opening credits as Jerry Micky and Terrayne Crawford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sXkvC_MSI