Author Topic: Dark shadows Festival Website  (Read 3433 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dark shadows Festival Website
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »
I don't mean to be critical of the Dark Shadows Festival website, but since it is the "official" website pertaining to the DS Festivals, I think at this juncture the site should at the very minimum indicate that there is going to be a Festival in August 2009. I think it should include the dates and place of the Festival for those DS fans who are outside of this Forum. I am not asking for specifics about the upcoming Festival (although that would be nice). Presently the website has information about last year's Festival including the order form for buying tickets for the event. Perhaps with the upcoming filming of the movie that may happen near or before the 2009 Festival, it may be that TPTB may want to limit the crowd to a certain number for safety and control purposes. When people are going to hear that Depp is filming a DS movie they may want to flock to the Festival. I don't know that will happen of course. But the public should be made aware that a DS Festival is scheduled to be held in August at its official website. Just my opinion.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark shadows Festival Website
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
Hey Jim,

has there been an announcement anywhere about a 2009 Festival?  There might have been but if so my scattershot memory didn't retain the info.

As for the big crowds, I would think that whenever the movie is actually released, that might draw record attendance figures.  The DS Festival at Shea Stadium?

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:29:56 PM »
Hey Gothick,

Marcy announced it via her on line ShadowGram number 191 on 09-30-08. It should be posted somewhere here. Also Stuart has it on his site www.collinwood.net. It's true that the crowds will probable come more after the movie's release but there are many Depp fans who may want to come to the Fest to hear about the movie's developments. Just a guess. But the official fan club website should at least have a reference to the upcoming Festival in New Jersey. Hope all is good.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:02:24 PM »
Wow, that's pretty funny that it was announced in S-gram last Sept. and the website has still to be updated.

Kind of makes one wonder just what's going on?

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »
Sadly, not everything that should be is - particularly in the DS universe.  [snow_sad]  And almost every year the Fest Web site takes quite a while before it updates the latest Fest details.  [snow_sleep]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:45:34 PM »
That is very true MB unfortunately. I just googled "official dark shadows website" in its search engine and the number one (1st) hit is the www.darkshadowsfestival.com website. If people on the outside want to obtain "official" news on current events, they will be disappointed and perplexed as to find news only relating to the 2008 Fest. They will not be informed of the upcoming 2009 Festival. If the DSF website is marketing itself as the official fan club it should at the very least include the upcoming Festival. Specific details of the Festival would be great but perhaps not needed at this point. Perhaps its webmaster is not computer literate like me-I would have no idea how to update a website. But for its reputation and for new DS fans it should be.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:03:09 AM »
I hear you - and I don't disagree. But the situation regarding timely updates to the Fest Web site has gotten to the point where it's like winning the lottery. It would a fantastic thing to have happen - but one doesn't realistically expect it.

As for the site's maintainer... [lpsldb]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:28:02 AM »
The festival website is not updated until the first festival mailing goes out.

I'm just telling you why it's not updated - not agreeing with the theory behind it.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »
Thanks Nancy and MB. I do have to admit that it is very odd but I guess it is like that Bruce Hornsby song that's just "The Way It Is".

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 05:29:49 AM »
Marcy Robin recently responded to my email.  My concern was that the latest Shadowgram had yet to arrive.  Marcy replied that her personal life and all it trials had taken up all of her time and that fandom had to take a back seat to herself, her family and all off the responsibilities that come with this.  Although this may not explain the Dark Shadows Festival problems, it does remind us all that the people who work these publications have lives and the work they do on our behalf is usually free and sometimes at considerable cost to them.  We can all do our part (me included) to support them any way we can and perhaps spread the word about the new movie and the 2009 Festival ourselves. 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 05:42:05 AM »
It's great to see you posting, michaelhacketttodd!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 11:16:10 PM »
Welcome, Michaelhacketttodd!

I'm sorry to hear about Marcy Robin's difficulties.  The past few months have been harsh for a number of people I know, and it's hard to feel very optomistic about the future.

Thankfully, Collinwood is always there to console us with its wonderful memories when things are down and the excraeta hits the ventilating device.

cheers, G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 01:47:34 AM »
Welcome, Michael, and let Marcy know she has all of our moral support, and if she needs any other type of support or help, you tell her just to say so and we'll be there as best we can.

Gerard

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 01:17:53 AM »
"Pansy Faye" responded to my email inquiry concerning the lack of information about the 2009 Festival and the pending Dark Shadows Movie.  Pansy assured me that information concerning both topics will be posted soon.  Pansy apologized for the delay and thanked me (and all of you) for your patience and support.  Michael

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 02:16:07 AM »
If Marcy is looking for some help, she could and should (perhaps through you) solicit the areas in which she needs volunteers to help out with anything on her plate, and I'd wager she'd get a healthy response. Just throwing that out there.

I'll add my voice to the chorus of well wishes for Marcy, as well.

"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS