Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0992  (Read 804 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0992
« on: October 09, 2015, 05:46:12 PM »
Robservations #992

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0992

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »
Stroka VO.  Welcome, Hannah Stokes, who is vaguely reminiscent of Mrs. Findley in RT.  Daniel, the PT David lookalike and equivalent, resulted from two completely different parents.  Strange.  Angelique's ghost plays the piano!  Who else could it be?  By Joe Caldwell.  Familiar name, I'm thinking from the early days?  And does this mean V Welles has now been replaced?   [skelleton_runs] [skull_winks]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
I love Paula Laurence! Looking at Hannah's jewelry, I wonder if Magda didn't sell it off at some point. She is one of the few women in the DS universe to wear trousers. She charts Bruno's horoscope. An alien force is working against you, she tells him. I know you want to know if the force is Angelique, but the charts don’t convey that kind of information. Bruno swears that the woman up at Collinwood posing as Alexis is really Angelique. Hannah prepares to leave. I can’t help you now, she says--but tomorrow I’ll be back with another tale to tell. Bruno is sure no one can tell the twins apart. I have ways to see that have nothing to do with the eyes, Hannah reminds him. I will return tomorrow--and before nightfall you will know which of my nieces is at Collinwood.

The drawing-room fireplace is dirty again as Alexis uses pruning shears to trim a potted chrysanthemum. (Silly, since all she has to do is pull off the dead leaves!) Alexis throws the dead leaves into the fire--just as Angelique used to do--grating on Quentin's nerves. Poor Alexis just can't win for losing.

As Hannah prepares to leave, Bruno tries to get her to tell him what she’s going to do. I already told you, she replies. How are you going to go about it? he asks. She simply laughs and tells him, Let that question keep you company through what may be a long, long night. She laughs again as she leaves. Bruno consoles himself by playing the Ode to Angelique.

Quentin really is a solicitous father and has decided to check on Daniel. He finds the boy in bed, lying awake, his eyes wide open. If _she_ hadn’t seen you, Daniel declares, it would all be different now. When I asked if she was my mother, she was about to answer--and I know the answer would have been yes.

The next day, Daniel meets his Great-Aunt Hannah in the drawing room. I'll bet she would have been a hoot to hang out with! She's sad that he doesn't come to see her the way he used to. Hannah says, I suppose it’s because your father won’t let you. You really came to see _her_, didn’t you? Daniel says. My niece Alexis, Hannah replies. She gives Daniel her coat. He searches the pockets, producing a deck of oversize tarot cards. Daniel wants her to read them for him as she used to, but Alexis comes downstairs. Aunt and niece exchange friendly if not warm greetings, and Alexis tells Daniel to hang his great-aunt’s coat while the two women go to the drawing room. Daniel complies but pulls out the cards and takes them upstairs.

Hannah tells Alexis that she heard about the séance from her "dear friend" Bruno. Alexis doesn't like her choice of friends and throws her handkerchief on the table in frustration. When her back is turned, Hannah swipes the handkerchief. Hannah was hoping for more details from her “dear child,” but Alexis comes right to the point: I don't want to seem rude, but I have never been your dear child any more that I was my father's. Now, I am sorry, but I do have some other things that I want to get done today. Hannah can see she’s upset Alexis, and anyway, she has what she really came for, so she apologizes and prepares to leave. Quentin arrives, and Hannah covers her rather hasty departure with multiple apologies to Alexis and Quentin. Bruno sent my aunt, Alexis tells Quentin, but I don’t know why. She knows I have never liked her, and the moment she came, she started talking about how Angelique might have been murdered. Sometimes it just gets to be too much, Alexis complains. Quentin promises to clear things up as soon as possible.

Even though there are no holidays in the Collins universe, Amy seems to be celebrating St. Patrick's Day! She's wearing a green dress with a green-patterned jumper, and green velvet bows on her ponytails. She watches as Daniel lays out the cards but she doesn't believe him when he says he knows a little about what they mean. His great-aunt Hannah shows up to retrieve her cards, not at all put out that he took them. But when she sees what he's dealt, she gasps and snatches them up quickly. After she leaves, Daniel says he knows which card upset her: It was in the middle of the arrangement (in an “H” shape)--the Tower of Destruction, upside down.

Bruno is devoured with anxiety when Hannah returns to the cottage to perform a test with Alexis's handkerchief. She scatters a few dried herbs and a sprinkling of bone dust over the hanky and lights a candle. If Angelique is truly at Collinwood as you claim, she tells Bruno, the handkerchief will turn blood red. Hannah recites a brief incantation, but instead of turning red, the handkerchief goes up in flames. Some spirit is opposed to us, Hannah says, and disapproves of what we want to know. She decides to consult the cards and lays them down on the piano lid, her eyes closed. Look, eyes, and see what no man sees! she says just as Quentin opens the door. She looks at the cards and gasps, Angelique! Angelique is here! She is here at Collinwood! Quentin eavesdrops only long enough to hear her tell Bruno that she's sure Angelique is at Collinwood; shocked, he quietly shuts the door. But like almost everyone at Collinwood, he doesn't do a proper job of eavesdropping: If he'd stayed till Hannah finished her thought he would have heard her tell Bruno that she doesn't know what form Angelique has taken. Angelique is in her own form and posing as Alexis, Bruno insists. The cards don’t say that, Hannah replies and reminds him, The dead can return in visible or invisible ways.

As Quentin returns to Collinwood, he wonders, Is Alexis really Angelique? Quickly he decides, I don’t believe Hannah or her madness, and Alexis explained it all. Angelique is dead, he reminds himself--but still, I wonder.... Opening the front door, Quentin overhears Amy phoning her brother Chris. Please let me stay with you, she begs him, (presumably in another house somewhere on the estate) instead of at the big house. I don’t like Alexis because she causes trouble--she did drive Maggie away. Quentin talks to Chris for a moment. After he hangs up he reassures Amy, I’m going to take steps right away so that you won't have to be afraid of living here. He goes upstairs to Angelique's room (presumably to tell Alexis to clear out) and is not surprised to hear someone playing Ode to Angelique. But before he can open the door, a woman screams while the music plays on. He bursts into the room, where Alexis has just jumped off the piano bench. To his astonishment and Alexis's terror, the piano plays by itself....

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 07:38:23 PM »
Here is a link to the IMDB data on Paula Laurence. She seems to have been just as interesting in real life!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 02:05:41 AM »
Paula was indeed quite a character. Her cameo in the Amy Irving movie Crossing Delancey is a hoot. Unfortunately, the one Festival that she appeared at is one of the few that I missed. [hall2_cry] [hall2_cry]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 11:52:52 PM »
Aunt Hannah has a laugh that is reminiscent of Angelique's. I notice that the sheet music is Ode to Angelique. isn't everything in PT?  Aunt Hannah is loaded with jewelry more than Bruno.  Daniel steals her cards and she steals Alexis' hanky.  Then stokes are apparently thieves.  Quentin now wonders if his wife is back in the form of her twin.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 02:42:56 PM »
Apparently "Ode to Angelique" is the ONLY music in Parallel Time.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 02:26:58 AM »
Even the ghost's play it.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times