Author Topic: Applauds(Cures) and Smites(Curses) icons  (Read 6934 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Applauds(Cures) and Smites(Curses) icons
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2003, 07:13:08 PM »
I personally don't have much use for the feature; if I agree or disagree strongly enough with an issue, I'll take the time to post about it and not bother bumping someone's karma up or down. Without a quantitative point breakdown (positive or negative), the number means nothing

Well, I'm sure that several features on the forum will appeal to some while others may have no use for them. That's always going to be a given. And as we've said, if someone doesn't see a need for a particular feature, then it's perfectly within their rights to ignore it. ;)

Also, you've made an excellent point concerning the quantitative breakdown of points, so the actual cure/curse totals are now back on display - and back they will stay. I'm sure your fellow posters will thank you for making me see the light. Just what was I thinking last night?...

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2003, 08:06:20 PM »
 :-* Since we are all giving our opinion, I will chime in. I don't care for it either. At first, I thought, the cure/applause/whatever would be OK. Then when I thought about it, it seemed like high school with the popular pair getting the most points and being voted the homecoming king and queen! And the negative curse, I can live without most happily.  I can see how it could be thought of as fun and it isn't like I won't post if they have it here, but it isn't a feature that I find appealing.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2003, 11:05:08 PM »
:-* Since we are all giving our opinion, I will chime in. I don't care for it either.

Hey Kuanyin,  Where ya been?  It's nice to see you back here again! :)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2003, 01:51:26 AM »

Well, I'm sure that several features on the forum will appeal to some while others may have no use for them. That's always going to be a given. And as we've said, if someone doesn't see a need for a particular feature, then it's perfectly within their rights to ignore it. ;)

How can a person ignore it when it appears in EVERY post they create and they can see the tally?

As I stated initially, the feature is ambiguous in nature, and it should just be removed completely. It is obvious from the responses this thread has received that several  posters are not comfortable with it.

Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2003, 02:46:24 AM »
How can a person ignore it when it appears in EVERY post they create and they can see the tally?

Well, perhaps I and others just have an easier time ignoring things than others might. For example, when I was in school, I could easily tune out fellow students who were goofing around next to me and concentrate on whatever work I might have been trying to do (this worked really well whenever I was in the library ;)). And if anyone were to ask me afterward what those other students had been up to, I could honestly say that I really had no idea. So, too, I can easily read the contents of posts without so much as a glance to most of the info that's shown on the left side of the message listings. I look at the name of the poster at the top and that's about it. :)

It is obvious from the responses this thread has received that several  posters are not comfortable with it.

You could easily get that impression from what's been posted in this thread. However, if you reread over what Midnite has written, you'll see that opinion regarding the Karma feature is split. In fact, more people have e-mailed/IM'd their support for the feature than have complained about it. Why have they e-mailed/IM'd rather than posted? Well, I can only assume that they, like a certain person who'd claimed that he didn't want to harp on this issue any further, actually don't want to drag out the discussion any more than it already has been. It might also be that they're somewhat afraid that by posting their support for the Karma feature they might invite people to harp on them. Just a thought...

As I stated initially, the feature is ambiguous in nature, and it should just be removed completely.

Ordinarily, I would never be this confrontational on the forum because it has always been our policy that everyone's opinion is equally valid. However, since you seem to feel that your opinion counts more than even that of the Administrators/Moderators of the forum, I must say that I feel the need to be equally as blunt. When you have your own forum, Bob, you can dictate what should or should not be removed completely from it. However, this is not your forum, Bob. So, please confine yourself to expressing opinions rather than making dictatorial statements.

I might also remind you that I made a point of saying that until I'm able to get up to speed on PHP, I'm not going to be able to tweak the system like I was able to with the SP version - and I politely asked that everyone please be patient until that time. So, the fact of the matter is that we couldn't remove the Karma feature now even if we wanted to because we simply don't know how to at this time.

So, be that as it may, you can of course feel free to come back and continue to drag out the discussion like a petulant child who isn't getting his/her way. However, this really is my last statement on the subject. And I deeply and profusely apologize to the other members of the forum for having to resort to making a post such as this one...

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2003, 03:14:02 AM »

So, that having been said, you can of course feel free to come back and continue to drag out the discussion like a petulant child who isn't getting his/her way. However, this really is my last statement on the subject. And I deeply and profusely apologize to the other members of the forum for having to have resorted to making a post such as this one...

So, this HEALTHYdiscussion has digressed to the point of you publicly calling me names? If you had taken the time to reread my post before replying you will have noted that  I did not DEMAND the mod be taken away, I simply stated that it SHOULD.....that is SHOULD..... be taken away. I thought we were all entitled to our opinions on this board without worry of being ATTACKED, as you just verbally attacked me? Or does that  only apply to the Tribunal of Moderators? Knowing you personally as I do, I'm very disappointed you chose to publicly do what you did.    Bob

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2003, 03:24:16 AM »
Knowing you personally as I do, I'm very disappointed you chose to publicly do what you did.

Sadly, Bob, I feel that you left me no choice - particularly considering that it's stated in a few different places on the forum that the Karma feature could just as easily be a temporary feature as a permanent one - and most importantly, considering I've made it quite clear that nothing can be done about it at this time, so continuing to press your point (despite your previous statement to the contrary) was uncalled for at this juncture...

If you think I've over reacted, well, I'm sorry. But, unfortunately, I don't see it that way. There's a fine line between healthy debate and pounding an issue beyond that point. :(

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2003, 03:52:01 AM »
Knowing you personally as I do, I'm very disappointed you chose to publicly do what you did.

Sadly, Bob, I feel that you left me no choice...

Well, I  have certainly been put in my place. In the future I will refrain from engaging in any potentially controversial subjects.

I would like to apologize to any board members who have not enjoyed this debate. I really would have liked to have limited my thoughts about the mod to one or two post, but I felt the need to respond to some of the replies that followed them. Needless to say, I feel very strongly about my feelings in regards to this feature, but not to the point where I want to subject myself or others to public ridicule. I don't harbor ill feeling for MB, I like MB, I just don't agree with him on this subject, or how he chose to publicly handle it.  But like he said, this is NOT my forum, and I want to say I never felt like it was personally mine, but I did think of it as "OUR" forum. Yours, mine, and anyone elses who come here to post. By nature I would not consider myself a troublemaker. Take a look at my past 170 some post over the past few years prior to this discussion, and you would be hard pressed to find a single post where I  "rocked" the boat about any subject. Anyway, It is still my "opinion" that this is the best(and safest) place on the internet to discuss Dark Shadows,(with the most knowledgable of fans around) so I hope we can get back to doing just that.   :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2003, 04:08:30 AM »
I don't harbor ill feeling for MB, I like MB, I just don't agree with him on this subject, or how he chose to publicly handle it.

Believe me, Bob, no one is sadder about what has happened in this topic than I am...

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2003, 06:38:51 AM »

If I may....I'd like to suggest a diplomatic solution to this current disagreement.

First let me get the sitch straight.  There are folks that are unhappy with the karma feature, some who could care less, and those who think it's harmless fun.

MB has no power to eliminate the feature due to whatever technical hijinks that Yabb has set up this feature.  Tho tweekness may come at a later date.

Well my idea for a solution is this.  If MB could set up one of those wonderful anonymous polls whereby forum members can click a yay or nay vote (and only get one vote) that would be a start. And a time limit would be good too.

Then when the ability to tweek or remove the feature is available, refer to the outcome of said poll and follow the wishes of forum members.

I think that all would agree then, that democracy would have been achieved as to this matter, and would abide by the decision with a mature and graceful attitude.

On a personal note....

This year marks my fourth year in DS fandom.  I don't think I've ever been involved with a group of people more intelligient, creative and caring than this group!   I've met some best and lifelong friends in this group and feel extremely blessed that my rediscovery of DS back in '99 led me to y'all.  I deeply and firmly believe that  our friendships are way more valuable than a karma feature on a message board.  So let's all shake hands, hug, buy each other a few drinks or whatever it takes, and when the time comes put this evil baby to bed and resume our friendships!

And that's all I have to say about that.

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}  Love you guys!!!!!!!

Always, Minja
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2003, 08:49:05 AM »
MB added tons of upgrades to the last version of the forums.  These included additional smilies and colors, backcolor, overcolor, polls, buttons, IM preferences, invisibility, viewing new posts... I could go on and on, and we miss them too.  We ask for the patience of all cousins while MB becomes more proficient at PHP before he starts adding or subtracting features to the forum.  I wish I could help him, but I'm still at the most basic level of tutorial for PHP forums-- sort of a "PHP for Dummies". ;)

Speaking from the heart, I became uncomfortable over certain comments made in this topic and I must say I feel the same about the idea of using a poll to determine how this situation will be handled.  This is most definitely a cohesive and supportive group, and we recognize that input is invaluable, but MB, Dom and I are the only persons that are privy to all developments regarding the forums, most of which occur behind the scenes, and we hope to continue to enjoy your trust that we'll go on administering the forum to the best of our judgment and also be allowed to set our own priorities.  Thanks.

Connie

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2003, 02:44:58 PM »
This is one of the most interesting threads I've read in a long time.  If you read it carefully, you'll find it a fascinating study in contradiction, the frailty of the human ego and a rich example of hypocrisy on many different levels.  (And all packed into one little thread!)

Gosh

-CLC  (not afraid to voice an opinion because....and I quote from a previous post:)

-------------------------
"Well, all I can say to that is that if someone has a strong opinion about something, please don't be afraid to state it. This forum was specifically created so that any DS fan could feel comfortable knowing that they wouldn't be chewed up and spit out simply for saying something that might be a bit controversial (which most definitely isn't the case on some other DS venues )."
--------------------------

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2003, 03:36:23 PM »
This topic is turning into a Sunday afternoon at the Coliseum--the thumbs up or thumbs down routine by the Roman emperor. Raise your shields and may the best man/woman win but first get in a few jabs at your friend/opponent just to keep things interesting.
Since everything is filed away in our brain for future use, will we someday run into each other at a DSFest and will we decide whether we want to be friends with this person because our brain has remembered: "Ah ha...he/she is the one with 99 million applauds/smites. Maybe I will/won't like this person because he/she has a tendency to be agreeable/ disagreeable."  It's human nature to wonder if it applies.
It just seems as though members are getting "labeled" for their opinions and, in this day & age, it's just wrong to form an assumption of someone based on their cures/curses. Not everyone can look at their "rating" and say "it doesn't mean anything--I don't care" but someone else may feel just the opposite and take it to heart.
I've enjoyed this site since I found it several years ago under its old name and stayed a lurker for most of it.  Let's just keep it a fun place to be instead of saying,
"A Funny Thing Happened to me when I got to the Forum."

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2003, 04:39:08 PM »
i also have been posting for about 4 years(?) ;D
 wow that long!and while i have seen disagreements here
(some where people have been hurt) :'( .
 i have to say that there are a wonderful   group of fans here whom i hope someday to meet. at  the end of a long stressful day i love to come here and have a few laughs!
 i have seen most of the disagreements ironed out and hate to see a silly little thing make people so upset. i also like the poll idea and understand that MB is working hard to solve the problems. Thanks again ! :)
(with Minja love you guys!)
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2003, 05:23:07 PM »
This is one of the most interesting threads I've read in a long time.  If you read it carefully, you'll find it a fascinating study in contradiction, the frailty of the human ego and a rich example of hypocrisy on many different levels.  (And all packed into one little thread!)

Gosh

-CLC  (not afraid to voice an opinion because....and I quote from a previous post:)

-------------------------
"Well, all I can say to that is that if someone has a strong opinion about something, please don't be afraid to state it. This forum was specifically created so that any DS fan could feel comfortable knowing that they wouldn't be chewed up and spit out simply for saying something that might be a bit controversial (which most definitely isn't the case on some other DS venues )."
--------------------------

No one said that an opinion can't be stated.  No one is trying to make anybody afraid to state an opinion.  There's a vast difference between listening to feedback and dropping everything to do what we're not even capable of doing simply because one person repeatedly tells us we should be doing it.  And that doesn't make us hypocrites.   Connie, all that we asked of Bob, and everyone else, is that we be allowed to run the forum just as we've been running it since it was created over 4 years ago.

It's no secret that you have a problem with my decision-making because you've been quite verbal about it, and I've listened to every single argument you've offered concerning why you feel I didn't handle a situation to your liking.  Just because I didn't change my mind based on your arguments doesn't mean I didn't hear you, or that your voice doesn't count, cuz it does-- your opinion matters to me, period.

Yet after you objected to the most recent discussion between us you offered to take it to private correspondence, which I thought was an excellent idea.  Obviously you still have issues with how the forum is being run but instead of ever contacting me, or MB, you continue to bring it here so now I'm asking you to take it off the forum.