Author Topic: Of all the time-travelling stories on the show....  (Read 2402 times)

IluvBarnabas

Of all the time-travelling stories on the show....
« on: November 22, 2006, 05:08:07 AM »
what was your personal favorite?

Which era would you yourself would have liked to have lived through, or at least go back in time just to visit for a little while?

1840 would be my choice. 1795 was the colonial era, 1897 the Victorian age. 1840 was sort of in-between these two eras and this appealed to me very much.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Of all the time-travelling stories on the show....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:30:08 AM »
1861-1865, only to OBSERVE (and be invisible doing it) the Cival War.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 05:41:54 AM »
I loved both 1795 and 1897. I think 1795 was the better storyline and was overall better executed, but 1897 really fit the atmosphere of the show.

I've always been fascinated by the medieval period, so that would probably be my destination of choice.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 05:47:55 AM »
I saw pictures of the Civil War, and that will hold me for the rest of my life.   Andersonville, was it?

DS eras?   How about 1967?    In previous eras I always think first about lack of medicines, and less tolerance for differences... though what the hell, they had less petrochemical pollution, unpesticided food.   It was harder to dress differently and get away with it, but what you had to wear was better (maybe only if you had money), and men got to have longer hair.

1897 is quirky and atmospheric along with having some modern conveniences, sort of a pause between the 'romantic' past and technological present, where lots of cool machines were around, but they still made them to look ornate or interesting.   I'd be too scared of eras before that.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 02:16:44 PM »
BuzzH, you live in the mid-Atlantic area, right?  So I assume you've seen the blowup of the Alexander Gardner photograph at the visitors center at Antietam.  (I trust it's still there; I saw it in 1999.)  Dead bodies, life-size .  That sort of puts me off seeing the Civil War up close and personal.

My maternal grandmother was born in 1897.  I'd like get a look at her as a newborn, and at my great-grandparents, who were interesting and amusing people from all I hear, and at the family farm, which was sold the year I was born - there's a Walmart there now.  So I'd probably opt for 1897, although I'm wondering:  Was there a Dark Shadows Fest in 1995?

As for my favorite Dark Shadows time-travelling story - I'm withholding judgment until I've seen more of 1840.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 05:05:41 PM »
Was there a Dark Shadows Fest in 1995?

Heh, heh.  Yes, in August, and the storyline aired in late July.  If Barn and Julia had only hung around longer, they could've attended the New York Fest.  I'm sure fans would have been more than happy to tell them how to defeat Gerard expeditiously.   ^-^

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 07:05:36 PM »
I would like to go back to early 1897. Most of the second half of 1897 wasn't as gripping as the early stuff. Gosh, what I would give to be there when Judith lets all that power go to her head.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 07:36:43 PM »
According to someone's calculations, I haven't seen the first 19% of 1897 and I love 1897, so I have that to look forward to, maybe.   I keep waiting for it to pop up in a side-of-the-road tent sale, where I'm getting a lot of cool old obscure 50s-70s VHS movies i've never seen for $1.   (That's my end of the economy.)  Only one tape within that gap found so far.   Frustrating.  Petofi was the high point for me as a kid and I'm not thrilled with the tail end of Laura (straight line free of charge), but the writing seems to simplify as it goes along, through 1897.  I can easily see the peak being in that early 19%.

I think I may have said some of this over and over.  If so, sorry.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 07:57:02 PM »
I agree with Magnus, I'd be a bit afraid of older time periods due to the lack of modern medicines and, for instance with Ben's situation, if you got an unlucky lot in life, man, you were just plain screwed.  At the same time, I would love to go to work by driving a horse-drawn carriage down a tree-lined trail, instead of hitting the 6 lane freeway at 75 mph.  People also tended to have morals and honor - they didn't just lie to each other for no reason, sleep with everybody just because it's fun, etc.  Well, at least in my idealized view of the time period they didn't - but it probably holds somewhat true.

That being said, I guess 1897 would have been a fair pick.  You didn't have indentured servitude, persecution of witches, etc. while you still had all the simplicity.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 09:27:05 PM »
People married for life whether they stayed in love or not, and maybe they never were.    Maybe the parents arranged it.  And you raised bitter twisted kids out of that unhappy environment, who would spread the problems to the next generation.   All ages have different shallownesses and hypocrisies... they just take different forms.   And saying TV or books or movies may present an idealized version of things is a massive understatement. 

I like freedom and there wasn't that much in previous eras.  The problem is, millions can't handle freedom.   When they have it, they squander it on superficial pleasures like kids in a candy store.   The consumer culture encourages and even demands this of people... it fuels the economy.   Sex, snacks, cars, newer and newer formats for entertainment so you throw it all out and rebuy all your music and movies.... flashy toys....

[Discussion about upgrading collections continues in topic "Upgrading to DVD / was: Re: Of all the time-travelling stories on the show...."  --mod.]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 09:33:28 PM »
My favorite was actually 1995.  The best part was trying to figure out how Barnabas reacted to spending two weeks with Julia where, for all that time, she ate, slept, and sleuthed in that green woolen suit without once taking it to the dry-cleaners.

Gerard

Online Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 08:00:32 AM »
Well, I wouldn't personally want to ACTUALLY go to one of those past periods, but as far as DS is concerned, I'd definitely take 1795 - the whole story was so good, and tightly put together.  While there are lots of wonderful things in 1897, and it amazes me how many extraneous subplots came along which they managed to weave into the story successfully, still--it became quite unwieldy.
Josette

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 04:25:46 AM »
It would be fun to visit one of those time periods for a while. But not too long. It would be too hard to live without electricity and modern plumbing. Oh yeah and a computer, DVD player and my DS DVD's.

I sometimes wonder what they will say 100 or 200 years from now about how we lived in 2007, will they think our lifestyle was primative compared to theirs? ???

Alondra

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 06:57:37 AM »
I depend on a computer because I can't go out and do most things, but if I were well, I think I'd throw the computer into a dumpster.    not that they're bad things, but they abstract life strangely.    When I try to sleep, images of computer screens and clicking on things come up in my head, rather than images from the real physical world.

Without the electronics we might go outdoors more and go to performances of music, and read.     A hundred years from now we might not have all we have now, or our attitudes might be different.    We might have a perspective on consumer culture that we don't have now.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 08:21:46 PM »
My favorite was actually 1995.  The best part was trying to figure out how Barnabas reacted to spending two weeks with Julia where, for all that time, she ate, slept, and sleuthed in that green woolen suit without once taking it to the dry-cleaners.

I actually got a kick out of 1995. Here it was supposed to be the future, and of course, it was, but everything was the same. I mean, no one blinked at that famous green suit, which would be hopelessly out of date, and files were still in old-fashioned filing cabinets, etc. Sure, I realize the writers couldn't possibly imagine computers and such, but absolutely no effort was made to make anything look different with the exception of Collinwood in ruins.