Author Topic: New Forum Logo  (Read 8025 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Logo
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2002, 06:35:00 AM »
Anyone that thinks we're pushy should meet "Iron Bastard" on another forum (or maybe not.... brrrr!).

And to meet Iron Bastard, in his own words, they should check out this topic:

When is it time to ban a user?

on one of the boards on YaBB's home site. Perhaps you'll thank your lucky stars that we don't ban people for some of the reasons a few of these moderators suggest. [lghy] But one thing both Midnite and I do envy are Iron Bastard's "virtual army of administrators and moderator grunts". [wink2]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2002, 07:30:23 AM »
I see that you reconstructed your reply to me about the Win 95 issue, however, I had asked some questions in response to that.  Here is a summary of what I'm trying to find out:

1 - I assumed that I'm lacking something that enables me to see these effects, since I never got that first changing logo, and now I have no idea what everyone is talking about with this sliding or tilting or whatever.

2 - If that's all I'm missing, I don't know if it's worth getting the update.  All is working fine for now, just that I don't get the fancy effect.  Is there any other particular reason why I would need an update?

3 - Any idea of the size of the download?  I've been holding off getting a new computer for a while now.  The main reason to need one is lack of hard disk space.  I managed to clear a bit of room the other day, but I'm still avoiding any unnecessary downloads.

Josette

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2002, 01:57:52 PM »
And while there's no guideline yet on fluffing, I suspect that once it's in place it might impact the persons the most that continue the practice if they lost their posting status, don't you think?  The total they worked so hard to inflate can be easily deflated with the click of a mouse. ;)

Heehee.  I think that would be very effective--frankly, the fluffing annoys me (and I'm not even a moderator :) ).  I've seen it happen on other boards and it's just so pathetic.  Someone has nothing else in their life to do but worry about their rank on a virtual BB???

Topic.  I've got everything but three boards collapsed.  My boxes are checked in my profile.  Can't update to IE 5.5 online because my computer has decided I don't have plug-ins initialized (whatever that means), but I am getting a disc to update that way.  I have seen the board slides on another PC though and it does look quite cool.

Anything else I can do to keep the bandwidth down?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Nancy

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2002, 02:59:05 PM »

As I mentioned in the "Reporting Problems" topic at the top of this board, the forum's system compiles a lot of information. So, if need be, it's very easy for us to check who has opened a topic that we've started as well as how many times they've opened it. And it's very hard for someone to argue that they didn't open a topic when we know they, in fact, have - and exactly when they did so. And it's also very hard for them to argue that they didn't at least read the first post that we started the topic with. ;)

That's good to know that you do have that kind of tracking power on the board in case of a flare-up over someone doing things they ought not to do when, in fact, they know better.   It certainly puts the ball (or cursor) in your court.  And if it's foolproof, how can anyone argue?

Of course, the issue also comes down to what kind of person spends a lot of time doing things contrary to what you have asked - in a deliberate fashion as opposed to just being ditzy.  And the kind of person you and Midnite have described is pretty scary.

Thanks for explaining.

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2002, 03:01:21 PM »
Well said, Luciaphil.  You articulated my own thoughts on that subject very well.

Nancy

Heehee.  I think that would be very effective--frankly, the fluffing annoys me (and I'm not even a moderator :) ).  I've seen it happen on other boards and it's just so pathetic.  Someone has nothing else in their life to do but worry about their rank on a virtual BB???
Luciaphil

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2002, 11:41:44 PM »
Honestly, I don't mean to come across as if I'm coming down on anyone, but I've received a few comments from people who felt that the passage I quoted from the forum's guidelines seemed a bit harsh to them. Thruthfully, though, the wording Midnite and I ultimately decided on for that particular passage (as well as our entire agreement) is actually fairly standard Internet language and was drafted only after reviewing the user agreements on many different Web sites and through consultation with a lawyer.

Here are just some examples of similar passages in other Web sites' user agreements (some of which seem to go further than our own :():

LookSmart:
"These terms and conditions of use may be changed in the future without further notice. Your continued use of this Site after any such changes constitutes your acceptance of the new terms."

Compuserve:
"CompuServe may, in its sole discretion and at any time, modify or discontinue CompuServe.com; limit, terminate or suspend your use of or access to CompuServe.com; and/or make changes to these Terms of Use or any other policies posted on CompuServe.com."

MSN:
"Microsoft reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under which the MSN Sites/Services are offered, including but not limited to the charges associated with the use of the MSN Sites/Services. You are responsible for regularly reviewing these terms and conditions and additional terms posted on particular websites. Your continued use of the MSN Sites/Services constitutes your agreement to all such terms, conditions, and notices."

AOL:
"By using this site, you signify your agreement to all terms, conditions, and notices contained or referenced herein (the "Terms of Use"). If you do not agree to these Terms of Use please do not use this site. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to update or revise these Terms of Use. Please check the Terms periodically for changes. Your continued use of this site following the posting of any changes to the Terms of Use constitutes acceptance of those changes."

Google:
"We reserve the right to modify these Terms of Service from time to time without notice. Please review these Terms of Service from time to time so that you will be apprised of any changes."

Ziff Davis (Publisher of magazines/periodicals like Computer Gaming World, Electronic Gaming Monthly, eWEEK, ExtremeTech, GameNOW, Microsoft Watch, Official US PlayStation Magazine, PC Magazine, Yahoo! Internet Life and PC Magazine):
"ZDH reserves the right, in its discretion, to change or modify all or any part of this Agreement at any time. Your continued use of the Service constitutes your binding acceptance of these terms and conditions, including any changes or modifications made by ZDH. If at any time the terms and conditions of this Agreement are no longer acceptable to you, you should immediately cease all use of the Service."

Lycos:
"Use is subject to compliance with these Terms and Conditions. You acknowledge and agree that Lycos may terminate your access to the Lycos Network or to any of the Products and Services should you fail to comply with the Terms and Conditions or any other guidelines and rules published by Lycos. Any such termination shall be in Lycos' sole discretion and may occur without prior notice, or any notice. The Lycos Network reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions from time to time, without notice. Please review these Terms and Conditions from time to time so you will be apprised of any changes."

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2002, 12:08:48 AM »
Well....THAT was enough to cross one's eyes!  
What troopers you and Midnite are to slog through pages of that stuff just to create fair guidlines for us!  I'm sure we're all VERY grateful we got YOU, and not the "Iron Bastard"....[winkb]

RP

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2002, 07:01:28 AM »
1 - I assumed that I'm lacking something that enables me to see these effects, since I never got that first changing logo, and now I have no idea what everyone is talking about with this sliding or tilting or whatever.

Let's put it this way: Microsoft's Web site gives conflicting information with regard to the transition I was using for the logo and the page transition that slips the current page to the left whenever someone clicks on a link to another one of the forum's pages (what a surprise, considering that on more than one occassion I've had to hunt up sites that have no connection whatsoever to Microsoft to discover ways to correct problems that Microsoft admits exist in their software but conveniently avoids including a fix for (like Windows' undocumented setup switches and such) - but I digress [winkg]). One section says it was compatible with IE4 (and later), whereas another section of the site says it was designed to work with IE5.5 but will work with IE4 only if someone has upgraded IE4 to use some of IE5.5's features, which in turn may cause IE4 to behave unstably. (Please someone explain to me why anyone, knowing it would cause IE4 to act unstably, would upgrade IE4 to use some of IE5.5's features instead of just going all the way and upgrading to all of IE5.5's features? :-/) So the most probable reason you couldn't see the logo or can't the current transition is because you've never installed the upgrades from Microsoft that are needed to see them.

2 - If that's all I'm missing, I don't know if it's worth getting the update.  All is working fine for now, just that I don't get the fancy effect.  Is there any other particular reason why I would need an update?

Currently that's all you're missing. But as I said (although I just realized it was probably in a post that's no longer on the forum) I'm going to be adding some new YaBBC style "toys" soon for all of us to play with in our posts. They may or may not cause problems for you if you don't upgrade to IE5.5. I suppose we'll see...

3 - Any idea of the size of the download?  I've been holding off getting a new computer for a while now.  The main reason to need one is lack of hard disk space.  I managed to clear a bit of room the other day, but I'm still avoiding any unnecessary downloads.

I just checked Microsoft's site to see how much hard drive space it would require for you to upgrade to IE5.5 for Win95, and they say anywhere from 6 to 17MB, depending on the number of files on your sytem that need to be updated. From the way you've spoken, I suspect you'd probably need an amount of free space that's closer to the 17MB than it is to the 6MB. ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2002, 07:23:48 AM »
Can't update to IE 5.5 online because my computer has decided I don't have plug-ins initialized (whatever that means)

Hmmm - do you get this error from IE itself? If so, it could be that you have IE's ActiveX controls and plug-ins disabled. To see if that's the case, bring down IE's "Tools" menu, click on "Internet Options", and then click on the "Security" tab in the window that comes up. "Internet" should already be highlighted in what comes up next, so click on the "Custom Level" button to see what the ActiveX controls and plug-ins setting are. If they're disabled, then that's probably why you can't upgrade online.

Anything else I can do to keep the bandwidth down?

Not at the moment - but thanks for asking. :)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2002, 09:09:42 AM »
Thank you, MB!  There for a while I was regularly getting down to 30 - 40 MB (not you!:)) on C (I have 4 GB divided into C and D) and had to keep deleting all the cache, recycle bin, etc.  Then, after deleting the Trash files from my e-mail (hadn't considered that those stay there!) and emptying the IE cache (I mostly use Netscape and can delete those files from Windows Explorer, whereas IE apparently has to be done from within the program), I got up to over 100 MB.

The other day it occurred to me that I hadn't checked for a while and perhaps I was getting low again.  I was amazed to discover 120 MB and then did all of those deletions again and got it up to 235 MB!!!  So, I assume I can spare 17.:)

However, I was also considering upgrading to Netscape 7 and I don't know how much difference that would make.  I do the downloads to a folder on D, so I guess it's just a matter of how much it puts back onto C when it installs.
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2002, 09:59:07 AM »
More questions!!  I just took a quick look at the download site and I'm not sure what I should get.  I assumed from your reply that there was an update that would change 5.0 to 5.5, but I only see mentions of 5.5 - so do I need to get the full program?  

If there is just an update, as you seemed to indicate, perhaps you could tell me what it's called!!

There is also SP1 and SP2 for 5.5.  I know I've heard of various security patches that they've had to put out, so if I get 5.5, I assume I'll then have to also download the SPs.  

If that's true and if I decide to do all of this (!), does SP2 contain SP1 or would I need both of them?
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2002, 10:03:28 AM »
There is also SP1 and SP2 for 5.5.  I know I've heard of various security patches that they've had to put out, so if I get 5.5, I assume I'll then have to also download the SPs.  

If that's true and if I decide to do all of this (!), does SP2 contain SP1 or would I need both of them?

All you'll need to download, Josette, is SP2 because it contains all the bug/security fixes and updates. ;)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2002, 09:11:42 AM »
Thank you, but I'm still confused!  Do I have to upgrade to 5.5 first and then do SP2 or does the download of SP2 accomplish the whole thing?
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2002, 10:17:02 AM »
does the download of SP2 accomplish the whole thing?

Yes, it does. :)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2002, 04:34:29 AM »
It's downloading now - I'll let you know later how it works!! :)
Josette