Author Topic: New Forum Logo  (Read 8024 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Logo
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2002, 05:08:40 AM »
Hmmm - now wouldn't it be so interesting if I did decide to post the names of the people who've taken it upon themselves to forego their share of the responsibility for saving bandwidth so that those people who are actually doing their part could see exactly who seems to think they're above their fellow posters. [vryevl]

Well, you have me looking over my shoulder! I THINK that I have done what you suggest, but honestly, I'm not sure. My guess is that instead of thinking they are high and mighty, they just didn't understand your requests! Maybe some IMs to the people would help to straighten them out?

And I'm REALLY hoping that I won't get one.... [nerv] [heh]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2002, 05:26:33 AM »
Count me among the clueless too i can save lives but computers well...
also how do i know what IE i have?

jennifer(i am teachable though!)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2002, 06:36:57 AM »
I've been trying to keep mine collapsed. Could that be why I seem to have no problems with slowness?

Collapsing categories on the BoardIndex would certainly speed up the download of that page. ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2002, 06:42:40 AM »
Possibly stupid question, could it be that I don't have Flash or something like that installed?

Not a stupid question at all :) - but, the answer is no. Flash is supported on the forum, though, and any sort of Flash animation can be displayed in a post.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2002, 06:45:53 AM »
BTW, my sister tried joining the board the other day, but it says it is not accepting new members. She wanted me to ask you if you knew when you were going to accept new members.

I wish I could say soon, but we really have no idea right now. It might not be until we move to a new host when our contract with our current host expires near the end of January...

Sorry. :(

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2002, 06:59:09 AM »
My guess is that instead of thinking they are high and mighty, they just didn't understand your requests!

I could believe that if it was simply that they didn't collapse any of the categories. But I find it very hard to believe that going into their profiles and removing the checkmarks after having read my post explaining what they were and why they were there was anything but a premeditated act. >:(

Maybe some IMs to the people would help to straighten them out?

And I'm REALLY hoping that I won't get one.... [nerv] [heh]

You don't have to worry. You've had all but the General Discussions category collapsed (which is above and beyond what I'd asked [thumb]), and you've had all three of the boxes in your profile checked all along. You, my friend, are an exemplary "cousin"! [lghy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2002, 07:10:34 AM »
Count me among the clueless too i can save lives but computers well...
also how do i know what IE i have?

I just checked the forum's log, and you're using IE 5.0. But to answer your question - the next time you have IE up and running, click on "Help" in the drop-down menu bar (the top row), then click on "About Internet Explorer" at the bottom of the menu that comes down. The window that comes up will give you the entire version number of your particular copy of IE, but the really important numbers are the ones before and after the first decimal point. For example, it might say something like:

Version: 5.50.4807.2300IS

which would mean that you have IE 5.5. ;)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2002, 10:36:49 AM »
Jennifer wrote:
Count me among the clueless too

You can count me amongst them also!

MB, I sorry to be such a pain here but when it comes to certain computer terms, I really am shamefully illiterate. After going over again what you had written about bandwidth savings measures,  I finally had my daughter's boyfriend, who is good with computers sit down with me and explain what exactly I am suppose to do, (yes, I know you expained it all in the bandwidth saving topic but Im pretty thick when it comes to these things)  Anyway, I've collapsed some of the catagories that you mentioned and now the board seems to working better for me!  I hope Im doing everything right now because I really want to help save bandwidth along with everyone else here.

As for downloading some of the things you mentioned in one of the topics here Im afraid that's going to take some time because my head is still spinning just from learning how to "collapse catagories"  Anyway if I was one of the ones who didn't do something right, Im really sorry, it just takes me some time to comprehend these things.  Wish they had computers when I was growing up in school!
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2002, 12:18:16 PM »
Or perhaps you might need to upgrade or reinstall Direct Animation or Internet Explorer Classes for Java.

How does someone go about reinstalling these?  I don't even know what Internet Explorer Classes for Java is.  I'm ALMOST as lost as Cassandra is...not quite. LOL
(Sorry Cassandra)  :-X

Actually, I really don't know what bandwidth is -- I just know I'm trying to save it.  I collapsed the categories the day I read the bandwidth savings post but don't know if I'm able to collapse them further.  I left the 3 things in the profile checked, and try to keep my posts under 5 a day, but don't know if that makes any difference or not.  [hdscrt]

Anyway, thanks MB for changing the logo thing.  Nothing's jerking around anymore and the scrolling is smooth again!  AH!!!

The only problem NOW is......

When the page changes,
I keep slipping off my chair...

<-------- THIS WAY!

(No...sorry...sorry)  SHUT MY MOUTH!  :-X  :-X  :-X
With fondest joy,
Connie  

[nuts]

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2002, 02:39:25 PM »
How does someone go about reinstalling these?  I don't even know what Internet Explorer Classes for Java is.  I'm ALMOST as lost as Cassandra is...not quite. LOL
(Sorry Cassandra)  :-X

I looked at that site and was lost as well. I'd have to ask my computer nerd brother if it is something I should do or not.

When the page changes,

<-------- THIS WAY!

[nuts]

I thought something was wrong with my computer when I first saw it. Now I'm used to it, sort of. LOL
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2002, 09:02:46 PM »
Actually, I really don't know what bandwidth is -- I just know I'm trying to save it.  I collapsed the categories the day I read the bandwidth savings post but don't know if I'm able to collapse them further.  I left the 3 things in the profile checked, and try to keep my posts under 5 a day, but don't know if that makes any difference or not.  [hdscrt]

Your efforts and the efforts of other cousins to save bandwidth have been much appreciated.  The ultimate goal in doing so is to keep the message board online for everyone to enjoy, but I gasped when I read that you try to keep your posts to under 5 a day.  Connie, if you or anyone else has something to add to any discussion, please feel free to post it instead of denying the rest of us that valuable opportunity.  I really mean it!

Okay, yes, there's a 10-post limit set into the system, which I feel is reasonable, but its intent has always been to prevent any one person from dominating the forum or a particular discussion and never to stifle anyone's creativity.  What you see on your screen if you reach your limit is just a gentle and private reminder, and when the forum clock resets at midnite, er, midnight GMT you're immediately back in business!

I talked about fluffing a while back, and MB and I will eventually be coming up with a guideline that will address it (TIME???  We don't need no stinkin' time! ;)), but that's only because we feel we've been backed into a corner, and this is a separate issue from the posting limit and one that you as well as most posters shouldn't have to worry about.  Fluffing is easy to spot, and any cousin guilty of the practice knows that they're doing it.

I guess I should define it again, especially since it's a term with multiple meanings outside of internet posting boards.  Fluffing occurs when members attempt to inflate their post totals in order to gain a more prestigious title on the forums.  We're not attempting to judge the content of messages; if a poster wants to merely post "LOL" or a smiley because that's how they want to express themselves at that time, then by all means they should do it.  What makes a message problematic is its intent-- if the poster is clicking submit with the purpose of upping their own total, they're fluffing.  This doesn't enhance the board, it does waste bandwidth as well as the time of everyone that reads these posts, and it ticks off the moderator.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone!  And I didn't mean to come across like I'm lecturing, or that I'm only addressing one person.  :D

When the page changes,

<-------- THIS WAY!

(No...sorry...sorry)  SHUT MY MOUTH!  :-X  :-X  :-X
With fondest joy,
Connie  

[nuts]

LMAO!  Connie, you slay me!!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2002, 12:36:18 AM »
WHEW! Thanks for the logo fix, MB! It's like the kind of relief you feel after Connie's been quiet for three days and then she posts some kind of a big honking episode of photos and captions and suddenly all is right with the world again.

The card-style sliding of the page is kinda neat and doesn't eat up time. Bravo. ;)

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2002, 12:49:13 AM »
MB and Midnitet
hanks for all the explanations and now that i have a wee bit more time on my hands(stress the wee)have
to take that computer course.what i know would leave room on the head of the pin!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2002, 08:12:09 PM »
today i went on and everything was back like before
that i had collapsed !i just hit collapse again and all is collapsed Is this right?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2002, 08:58:20 PM »
today i went on and everything was back like before
that i had collapsed !i just hit collapse again and all is collapsed Is this right?

Yes.  Because the forum reverted to an earlier version from yesterday (see: "Where did everything go?....." on this board), everything became as it was then.  So if you found the boards uncollapsed, it's because the point at which the boards went back to was a time when they weren't collapsed.  All messages that were on the board at that time that had not yet been read by you will also have a blue tag in front of them.  And all IMs sent and received during that window, or posts added, will not show up.

If the problem hadn't occurred, you would have found the boards just as you left them.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  Now I know how the Collinses felt every time someone mucked up the present by changing the past. ;)