Author Topic: New Forum Logo  (Read 8022 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Logo
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2002, 06:22:55 AM »
You mean MB DOES work and have an outside life besides this forum?!!  Given all the work he puts into this, I can't imagine how he can do anthing else!! :)
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2002, 06:38:17 AM »
What am I missing, or has it already been changed?  I don't remember anything from last night (early this morning), either.  What I get now is a moment of total black followed by the logo appearring, and shortly afterwards, the rest of the page.

No, it hasn't been changed. And what you should be seeing is the logo transitioning from this version:

To this:

It's been doing that since 2:14am et/11:14pm pt this morning/last night. ;)

However, I started noticing last night (early this morning) and again now, that with every page that comes up, down at the bottom of the screen is a little yellow symbol and the words "Error on Page" which shortly afterwards changes to the same (I think) logo and "Welcome to the Forum!" and the page appears.

The logo should only be appearing at the top of each page. And I have no idea why you should be seeing something that says, "Error on Page" because you're using IE 5.01, and support for the transition and gradient filters the forum is currently using began at Microsoft with IE 4.
Do you receive error messages when you open posts that use the forum's glow and shadow features? The transition and gradient filters are exactly the same sort of filters.

You can check out this page at the MSDN site for further details:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/filters.asp
;)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2002, 07:00:21 AM »
FWIW, I'm getting errors from IE (version 5) but I can deal or go to Netscape, although my PC has a problem with Netscape :(

Luciaphil

"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Nancy

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2002, 07:05:31 AM »
Me neither, Josette. :D

You mean MB DOES work and have an outside life besides this forum?!!  Given all the work he puts into this, I can't imagine how he can do anthing else!! :)

Connie

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2002, 08:44:41 AM »

MB -- 18 seconds once isn't bad; but the cumulative effect when you start changing topics does get outright time-consuming.

Yes - I agree.  I'm relieved to see this brought up.  (Didn't want to say anything.  Was just hoping the logo thing would go away or something.)  LOL

It's not only that.  The pages won't scroll right for me anymore.  Everything jerks around all over the place.  Wasn't sure if it was just me or not.

Anyway, I find myself looking at fewer pages 'cause it just takes too long.

-CLC  8)
NEVER EVER one to complain.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2002, 10:16:00 AM »
It's not only that.  The pages won't scroll right for me anymore.  Everything jerks around all over the place.  Wasn't sure if it was just me or not.

Im going throgh the same thing here. When I scroll down to read the posts, it's like the page starts jerking and then starts moving in slow motion.  I honestly thought there was something wrong with my computer until I started reading the topics here.  I've even been having trouble with copying & pasting lately.  The logo does look great MB but is there another way that it still can be shown and have the topics thread moving back to the way it use to be.?   I thought Prof.Stokes had a good idea about this.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2002, 10:57:25 AM »
I get the first (light) version of the logo and it doesn't change.  Maybe that's why I haven't had any speed problems!

The "error" that I'm talking about is at the bottom.  Right above the "Start" with the Windows logo in the corner of the screen.  There is a gray bar right above that and below the messages.  There is a little yellow logo (I think it's an exclamation point in it).  Right next to that it says "Welcome to the Forum!"  But, (maybe it always did it and I never noticed before), when the page is loading, it says "Error on Page" and then switches to the Welcome and the page appears.

---

After posting this originally, it suddenly occurred to me that maybe the "error" is the fact that my logo isn't changing.  Since all is working well for me, that's fine!!
Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2002, 10:06:43 PM »
[bnghd]

MB...we love and appreciate allllllll that you do,
but right now, my cursor is bopping in & out the shadows!!

Like the look, but NOT the effect on the board.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2002, 10:16:38 PM »
I like the new logo!  To me, it's like the few seconds it takes to watch the opening credits of Dark Shadows.  Even though I can fast-forward through those rolling words over the wave-crashing-beach, I never do.  Anyway, if I need things to speed up 'cause I'm in more of a hurry, I just open the message board through Netscape, where the effect doesn't happen, and Netscape doesn't freeze or take forever to open like AOHell (but then, on my older version of Netscape, I can't post, so I hafta come back to AOHell to do that).  Also, when I download MB's wonderful collages, I use Netscape because there it downloads as a jpeg; on AOHell, it does it as an "art-something-or-other".

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2002, 11:10:16 PM »
I mean looks at the things that are still yet to be ironed out - the kinks and the little problems, and some download delays.

Yes, well, if I wasn't spending a portion of my time trying to come up with and install bandwidth saving measures, and then trying to persuade people to actually use them, perhaps little things like that would get fixed sooner rather than later. ;)

Hmmm - now wouldn't it be so interesting if I did decide to post the names of the people who've taken it upon themselves to forego their share of the responsibility for saving bandwidth so that those people who are actually doing their part could see exactly who seems to think they're above their fellow posters. [vryevl]

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2002, 11:23:36 PM »
I've been trying to keep mine collapsed. Could that be why I seem to have no problems with slowness?
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2002, 11:32:22 PM »
Seriously, those of you who are experiencing page jiggles and cursor twitching should really contact Microsoft support because something about your IE setups is very wrong. I've opened the forum using IE 4, 5, 5.5 & 6 and haven't experienced any of that. Perhaps you might need to upgrade or reinstall DirectX (DirectX 8.1 is currently available from Windows Update - though all the filters and transitions should work seemlessly even if you only have DirectX 5). Or perhaps you might need to upgrade or reinstall Direct Animation or Internet Explorer Classes for Java.

One thing to try would be to go to this page on the MSDN site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/filters.asp

to check out the filter and transition examples Microsoft has provided there. The code for the logo's transition came directly from that site.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2002, 11:59:19 PM »
Possibly stupid question, could it be that I don't have Flash or something like that installed?  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Nancy

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2002, 01:38:49 AM »
Heh heh, that would be a hoot. :-X

Nancy

Yes, well, if I wasn't spending a portion of my time trying to come up with and install bandwidth saving measures, and then trying to persuade people to actually use them, perhaps little things like that would get fixed sooner rather than later. ;)

Hmmm - now wouldn't it be so interesting if I did decide to post the names of the people who've taken it upon themselves to forego their share of the responsibility for saving bandwidth so that those people who are actually doing their part could see exactly who seems to think they're above their fellow posters. [vryevl]

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2002, 02:26:38 AM »
I may be one of the only ones, but everything is going well for me. I really like the new logo at the top. It doesn't seem to slow anything down for me.

-Lindsey

BTW, my sister tried joining the board the other day, but it says it is not accepting new members. She wanted me to ask you if you knew when you were going to accept new members. Thanks!

(She thinks she is going to call herself Julia_Julia_Julia. That is how much she loves Julia! ::) )
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840