Author Topic: Dark Shadows-ish  (Read 709 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows-ish
« on: July 28, 2002, 09:14:56 PM »
Over the course of the past few days I ran across two spots on TV that were very Dark Shadows-ish.

On FRIENDS; Ross' monkey escaped. An animal control officer evilly threatened to capture it and turn it over to the authorities (as she held a high school grudge against Rachel). As the group pleaded for mercy, the officer (almost maniacally and in a nutshell) promised to see them in court where they could, " tell it to the judge. " Upon her exit Phoebie caps off the scene with a Dark Shadows music cue - BUM, Bum, bum...

Last night (7/27) while watching THE TRUE STORY OF FRANKENSTEIN, Victor Frankenstein and his new wife are riding in a carriage on their way to their "honeymoon hotel" and he explains to her that he must go off to do something (work on a bride for the monster) for a while, promising to return. She bitterly objects asking for an explanation in which he replies something along the lines of, "I can't explain right now but you must trust me." At this point I am thinking of Jeff Clark and Vicki. It was so parallel to their current status on the show. (Jeff keeps putting off spending time with Vicki to work on Eve.) No sooner does this thought cross my mind when Victor's bride turns to him in utter frustration and frantically exclaims, " I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!" I practically fell out of my chair...

Dom

P.S. An aside: TTSOF was adapted for the screen (teleplay) by noted gay author Christopher Isherwood! I've read a few of his books, this was my first taste of visual Isherwood. He is probably most noted for his biographical creation of the character Sally Bowels (of CABERET fame).

P.P.S. "FRUSTRATION" is not in the spell check dictionary! There's some sort of pun in there...

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: Dark Shadows-ish
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2002, 11:50:15 PM »
....in which he replies something along the lines of, "I can't explain right now but you must trust me." At this point I am thinking of Jeff Clark and Vicki. It was so parallel to their current status on the show. (Jeff keeps putting off spending time with Vicki to work on Eve.) No sooner does this thought cross my mind when Victor's bride turns to him in utter frustration and frantically exclaims, " I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!" I practically fell out of my chair...

I got a laugh off that too, dom, and at that point I am really confused [pardon the pun] ... i'm not sure if I am watching the DC version or not [still looking for Karlen]  There were several DC-ish moments in the film, IMHO, that strange intro was very 'Night Stalker', the arm crawling thru the door, the bit about 'being afraid of lightning'[????], the underlying love stories/triangles.  It has been, oh, 35 years since I read the actual book - is all that stuff in there?

but come on -- 'friends'???? and Bowels in the same post? ;D  [I thought only 'regular' people watched that]

Ringo the Irregular [jester]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!