Author Topic: SERVANT STATUS  (Read 1446 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
SERVANT STATUS
« on: October 05, 2002, 12:20:27 PM »
I think I would like to hire Mrs. Johnson. I am amazed that one servant could take care of a huge mansion. Do you ever see any dust, etc.? Dispite her strange quirks, she gets the job done. Anyone else ever ponder this thought?
What do you think the Collins Family pays her to put up with their nonsense?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: SERVANT STATUS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2002, 01:38:44 PM »
I love Mrs. Johnson.  She's no-nonsense, but clearly adores the family.  If she could keep Collinwood looking good, imagine what she could do with my 6-bedroom house!

However, we can't forget that she was originally Burke Devlin's spy, and was supposed to report back to him about what she saw going on at the mansion.  

Given that she had room and board at Collinwood, I would assume she pulled down about $250 per week back then, which was pretty good money.  

I'd hire Mrs. J in a second, but Harry would have to find lodgings elsewhere!

Love, Robin

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2002, 04:32:32 PM »
I agree I would love to have Mrs. J. around this place. The windows might even get washed.  I don't have a clue what she would have been paid or what the pay scale was back than.  

I have to say when Amy and David were purposely annoying her yesterday I wanted her to say " If you have noting better to do than stare at me pick up a dust cloth and get to work.  I will give you kids something to do to keep you out of trouble."

Birdie--do I think too much like a mother.
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2002, 07:19:55 PM »
I have a 4 bedroom home, with 3 bathrooms, that's plenty big for my daughter and I. We could sure use Mrs. Johnson's help around here. I have a gardener, and a pool boy, but no maid. I'm it. Speaking of which, my laundry is ready for the dryer, gotta go! Harry is WELCOME here to stay and never leave.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
nRe: SERVANT STATUS
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 07:44:52 PM »
I'd be TRIPPING over Mrs. Johnson in my little house....but I'd love to have her come pick up after my teenager anyway!!!

However, we're still rennovating this house and I could REALLY use Willie!! ;D

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: nRe: SERVANT STATUS
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2002, 08:01:35 PM »
I'd be TRIPPING over Mrs. Johnson in my little house....but I'd love to have her come pick up after my teenager anyway!!!

However, we're still rennovating this house and I could REALLY use Willie!! ;D

I would love to have both Willie and Mrs. Johnson.  I live in a house built in 1921.  It took ten years of pleading with my husband to hire someone to renovate our bathroom.  It was a full year of interviewing contractors(no one would return our calls after viewing the hideous mess).  Finally, one contractor(bless him) put us on a nine month waiting list.  All it took for Barnabas was Willie, fangs, and a cane.  By the way, I did eventually get a useable bathroom.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2002, 10:37:05 PM »
I have to say when Amy and David were purposely annoying her yesterday I wanted her to say " If you have noting better to do than stare at me pick up a dust cloth and get to work.  I will give you kids something to do to keep you out of trouble."

Birdie--do I think too much like a mother.

Right on Birdie! [thumb] I wonder how poor Mrs. Johnson has the patience to put up with those kids! I think her old self would have told them a piece of her mind, but the fact that she's still quite shaken up a bit from her "Quentin" ordeal is probably the reason why she didn't.

I would love to have Mrs. Johnson help me out around here!  I have upstairs & downstairs, 6 big rooms with a huge kitchen & dining area & 2 bathrooms.  Just the thought of starting to clean now has gotten me exausted!!  

You're right though Vam, as I never see even an inch of dust anywhere in that house,  except for the West Wing & basement of course!

As for the pay, Im not really certain about that, but would hope they do pay her a decent amount of money for all the crap that she has to put up with there! ;-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 05:36:54 AM »
I love Mrs. Johnson.  She's no-nonsense, but clearly adores the family.  If she could keep Collinwood looking good, imagine what she could do with my 6-bedroom house!

However, we can't forget that she was originally Burke Devlin's spy, and was supposed to report back to him about what she saw going on at the mansion.  

Given that she had room and board at Collinwood, I would assume she pulled down about $250 per week back then, which was pretty good money.  

I'd hire Mrs. J in a second, but Harry would have to find lodgings elsewhere!

I find Mrs. Johnson hysterically entertaining but I wouldn't want her around. As Robin points out, she's rather shifty. She only took the job at Collinwood to serve as a double agent for Burke Devlin - it's too bad they never went back and addressed that. I guess after she found out Roger wasn't responsible for Bill Malloy's death she decided she had a pretty good thing going on and didn't want to leave it.

Mrs. Johnson was very much like Abigail in the original episodes. I believe it was Robin who Robserved that one could just picture her accusing waitress Maggie Evans of being a witch. They were that much alike.

Mrs. Johnson may not have all that much house to clean as most of it seems to be closed off, but I get a kick out her reaction when she's asked to prepare a room - or a cottage - for a new guest. She's probably one of  the most "genuine" characters on the show, and tends to react the way I imagine I would if I were in her place.

That being said, I wouldn't have her in my home. She'd be constantly criticizing everything about the house and its occupants, and then there are those infamous "boiled dinners" Roger complained about.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2002, 07:17:36 AM »
That being said, I wouldn't have her in my home. She'd be constantly criticizing everything about the house and its occupants, and then there are those infamous "boiled dinners" Roger complained about.

I would second this sentiment.  Great on screen, but not in my house, thank you very much.  

Luciaphil
(who should be so lucky as to have even a Mrs. Johnson to clean her house)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2002, 08:17:20 AM »
 Just the thought of starting to clean now has gotten me exausted!!

I get exhausted just from carrying my Kirby Gsix metal vacuum and Turbo Accessory System, up the staircase!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2002, 03:24:52 AM »
I think even Mrs J would run out sreaming from my house at the current moment!:o there are days i really wish i had a PT room to see how my other self lives (hopefully not like Hoffman!)

jennifer
Robin you really have 6 bedrooms?I 'mnow more jealous
of this than my friends who went to The BRUCE
concert the other night! Oh no is middle age creeping in?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2002, 04:52:01 AM »
I think even Mrs J would run out sreaming from my house at the current moment!:o

What do you have it in there or is it just you Jennifer?;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!