Author Topic: Say it fast--Do as I say. . .  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Say it fast--Do as I say. . .
« on: October 04, 2002, 09:36:16 AM »
Possible new poll . . .how many times did Barnabas say "Do a I say". . and how many times did Julia or anyone for that matter, do their own thing anyway. . .let him puff up and say it .. but hey i'm my own woman, screw you. .
Julia99

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Say it fast--Do as I say. . .
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2002, 01:15:30 PM »
Possible new poll . . .how many times did Barnabas say "Do a I say". . and how many times did Julia or anyone for that matter, do their own thing anyway. . .let him puff up and say it .. but hey i'm my own woman, screw you. .

Yep, you notice Angelique never gave him a chance to even say it.;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2002, 06:07:13 PM »
Yep, you notice Angelique never gave him a chance to even say it.;)

That's because she was too busy saying it to him and everyone else ;)

My favorite is when she's just screwed someone's life up behind belief and they try to like keep one shred of dignity left, and she is actually honestly astonished and says "Why do you try and fight me?"

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2002, 07:39:39 PM »

That's because she was too busy saying it to him and everyone else ;)

My favorite is when she's just screwed someone's life up behind belief and they try to like keep one shred of dignity left, and she is actually honestly astonished and says "Why do you try and fight me?"

Luciaphil

She is some gutsy gal!;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2002, 07:53:58 PM »
Possible new poll . . .how many times did Barnabas say "Do a I say". .

Haven't a clue how MANY times Barnabas uttered that command.....but I'll bet my copper cauldron that the person he said it to most often was Willie Loomis! ;) [lghy]

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2002, 09:39:43 PM »
One of my all time favorite scenes in all of DS was this conversation from about halfway through the 1967 storyline where Barnabas is scheming to make Vicki his new Josette and he's fretting about just what Dr. Hoffman is up to.  He regales Willie with his plans and gloats about how when Vicki becomes his bride, she'll be free of the petty chafings of mortality, untouched by time, untouched by anything.  "Yeah ... cept loneliness," Willie comments bleakly.  It's such a wonderful moment ... and a wonderful scene for WILLIE to have the last word.

I'm sure that one reason why I cherish that scene is because it was on a little cassette tape I carried around the world with me in my travels in the 80s and 90s.  That tape contained scenes I taped during the syndication of DS in 1976. Since I didn't have any tapes from the original broadcast, for nearly 2 decades this tape & one other were all that I had to remember my favorite TV show by.

Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2002, 10:19:00 PM »
I'm sure that one reason why I cherish that scene is because it was on a little cassette tape I carried around the world with me in my travels in the 80s and 90s.

What a coincidence, love!  I've been carrying that scene around in my MEMORY for decades!!!  [lghy] ;)
R/P
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2002, 04:37:09 AM »
"Do as I say" is high atop the list of maddening phrases from Dark Shadows--right up there with "There's no time to explain" and "You wouldn't understand".
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2002, 09:30:34 AM »

Yeah, and I was just as glad that Julia paid no mind to him too and did what she felt was right by showing up at Chris' cottage after Barnabas had just told her to Stay put!  It showed she has own mind and doesn't have to listen to him all the time.

As a matter of fact I've noticed that most of the women on DS rarely listen when being ordered around by some controlling guy who tells them to "do as I say!"

How many times did Nickolas try that line with Angelique/Cassandra?  And how many times did she listen?  Hardly every.

And of course Adam tried that famous line with Eve several times and got no where with it either.

Little David has even tried that line with Amy, telling her to go to her room and stay put!  I had to laugh when just a few minutes later we see her trying to sneak out of the house via the secret panel just so she could warn Carolyn that she may be in danger!

I guess these guys never learn!  ;-)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2002, 12:08:08 PM »
A phrase more appropriate for the show would be "do as I say and not as I do"

because no one listens to their own advice.. they all tell each other "you don't need to go in the woods at night"  but then they all do it themselves...sheesh!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2002, 01:43:01 PM »
Barnabas was an 18th century man, and probably heard Joshua utter those very same words to Naomi time and again.  I hoped that Barnabas would be less like Daddy, but I guess that while you can take the man out of the 18th century, you can't take the 18th century out of the man!

Barnabas had his own ideas about women, and they weren't terribly modern.

As for Angelique, her words might have been, "Do as I say or I'll put a curse on you!"  That would certainly make most people step lively to do her bidding.

Love, Robin

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2002, 02:32:27 AM »
while 'do as i say' may have been a Frid ad ib. .i also look to see if Sam Hall wrote that particular episode and wonder if he was trying to tell Grayson something thru Barnabas' lips.  I bet Grayson would've laughed in his face if Sam ever said that to her directly. . .
Julia99