Author Topic: Sympathy for the Devilish...or Not  (Read 3293 times)

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sympathy for the Devilish...or Not
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2002, 04:01:40 PM »
    Oh thank you, Bob.  I just kept hearing about what a sweet child she is.  I am glad I am not the only one to notice all is not right with the girl.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2002, 06:32:18 PM »
Name a character....(NOT an actor).....and explain if you can, exactly what it is about that character that draws you in,  OR, specifically what it is about that character that makes you despise them.  Who do YOU admire, feel sorry for, envy, mistrust, or hate.  Who makes you laugh, cringe, worry, blush, or groan?

Jason.  He's cruel, sleazy, misogynistic and overall,  one nasty piece of work.  But he's got charm and I find him attractive.  Not, I admit, husband material, but provided you used a condom and made sure your money was not anywhere within a ten-mile vicinity, probably great for a fling.  I don't admire him and I think the character is despicable, but there's something about him that makes me hope that he and Liz will make a go of it.

Roger.  (Big surprise).  I can't possibly improve on kuanyin's great line :) (which should be engraved on his tombstone as an epitaph).  He's nasty, an alcoholic, an atrocious parent, and a perjuror, but thanks to Edmonds' performance and the writing of Wallace and Swann he's also a very well-fleshed out character.  The bitterness and the acerbity mask pain and mistakes--mistakes, I might add, that are realistic enough.  I can see how he might have gotten to be the way he is.  Again, I'm not excusing the character's behavior, but there's something there to keep me riveted on him.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2002, 06:43:24 PM »
Any of Jerry Lacy's characters. He plays both attractive and repulsive equally well. That's what makes them compelling.
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2002, 07:34:30 PM »
Jason.  He's cruel, sleazy, misogynistic and overall,  one nasty piece of work.  But he's got charm and I find him attractive.  Not, I admit, husband material, but provided you used a condom and made sure your money was not anywhere within a ten-mile vicinity, probably great for a fling.

Hey, what is this I see- Jason and Luciaphil sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G...LOL! ;)

(I now know my days are numbered:o)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2002, 11:02:23 PM »
Jason.  He's cruel, sleazy, misogynistic and overall,  one nasty piece of work.  But he's got charm and I find him attractive.  Not, I admit, husband material, but provided you used a condom and made sure your money was not anywhere within a ten-mile vicinity, probably great for a fling.  I don't admire him and I think the character is despicable, but there's something about him that makes me hope that he and Liz will make a go of it.

ROTFL Luciaphil oh the visual! but i find Jason creepy
(aka makes my skin crawl) Amy was creepy here too
but the one i felt the most  for  was Beth she was such a tragic character!loved to see her give one to Angelique(sorry Vam)

jennifer
i liked Eddie too Connie it was Lumpy i couldn't stand on The Beaver
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2002, 11:13:54 PM »
    Oh thank you, Bob.  I just kept hearing about what a sweet child she is.  I am glad I am not the only one to notice all is not right with the girl.

You're certainly not the only one as I find her character rather annoying & irritating to watch. I can't take all her whining either. I think it's because they tend to show too many scenes with the kids in them and I find that boring.  I find myself sitting waiting for the Adults to come on.  

Now Sarah has always been my favorite female child actor on the show. She was just so lovable & adorable, (mistakes & all) and I found her very warm hearted as well. You just wanted to protect & hug her, where as Amy is concerned, I just want to smack her![smash]

I liked Nora's character as well. IMHO, she seemed more
real & believable as a child.   :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2002, 11:20:35 PM »
Back during the original broadcast, I was always feeling sorry for Barnabas.  I missed both 1968 and 1795, and when I first saw him, he was the hapless victim of Cass/Angelique, stuggling to redeem himself and live a halfway decent life.  Even as an adult when I see Barnabas' shortcomings with a much less bedazzled eye, Jonathan Frid's performance often wrings my heartstrings.

Willie is one of the finest tragic characters in the entire series.  I really wish they had resolved his storyline towards the end and allowed him to go off with his Roxanne and enjoy a happy married life.  Over the period of the series, he is definitely a man who gets way more misery to endure than he ever deserved.  And, of course, John Karlen's wonderful acting imbued the character with a lot more than was there on the printed page.

Some of the characters that people can't stand, such as Count Petofi, Cassandra Collins, and Jeb Hawkes, are among my favorites on the show because the actors portray them so magnificently and really show the charisma that these evil supernatural beings possess.  

Magda is another wonderful tragic character.  Even though she is responsible for nearly everything that happens to her, I find myself riveted every time I watch the episodes where she encounters yet another layer of tragedy in her life.  Even though Magda was larger than life, I felt that Grayson played her with wonderful subtlety, and I think there was more of the real Grayson in Magda than in Julia.

I could go on and on ... wonderful topic ... but the last one I'll mention is Buzz Hackett.  Well, if I had been living in C'port back in the glory days of '67, Miss "Poor Little Rich Girl" Carolyn Stoddard wouldn't have had 5 seconds to jerk Buzz around on the love-chain, because I would have nailed that boy and made him forget Blondie ever existed!

It's a big job but somebody has to do it,

Gothick

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2002, 11:34:37 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with Miss Winthrop, and because I adore him.  Yes, it's Barnabas.  At first, when I was 11, way back when, he scared the bejeese out of me.  But by the time I was 11 1/2, things were looking, how shall I say it, differently.  

I am drawn to Barnabas, mind, body and soul.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2002, 11:36:30 PM »
    I love the scenes between Magda and Sandor.  They made a realistic old married couple.        
Spoiler

Magda's grief was very believable and well handled by Grayson.  
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2002, 04:35:48 AM »

Hey, what is this I see- Jason and Luciaphil sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G...LOL! ;)

(I now know my days are numbered:o)

Unfortunately, I have a total of $20 in my checking account at almost all times, so I doubt Mr. McGuire would even throw a glance my way (mock sigh).

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga