Author Topic: Sympathy for the Devilish...or Not  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Sympathy for the Devilish...or Not
« on: October 03, 2002, 11:50:54 PM »
Why do we find some characters sympathetic and others not?  Why do we love some and loathe others?

Name a character....(NOT an actor).....and explain if you can, exactly what it is about that character that draws you in,  OR, specifically what it is about that character that makes you despise them.  Who do YOU admire, feel sorry for, envy, mistrust, or hate.  Who makes you laugh, cringe, worry, blush, or groan?

There will be no judgements, prizes or unannounced quizes at the end of this thread. ;)

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
Re: Sympathy for the Devilish...or Not
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 11:58:46 PM »
i really like Joe, everytime I see him i get excited, because he seems such a caring man.  I remember the first time I saw him in color I was really excited.

I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2002, 01:04:12 AM »
  Who do YOU admire, feel sorry for, envy, mistrust, or hate.  Who makes you laugh, cringe, worry, blush, or groan?

Well, the GREAT thing about Carolyn is that she invokes ALL of the above!

Come to think of it, my man Roger, fits much of this also. I like the combination of hero/villain that is Roger. He is truly a snob for all seasons.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2002, 01:21:37 AM »
    Gee Raineypark, I think you opened a can of worms.  It seems if you criticize someone's favorite the walls fall down on you.  I feel all alone in the character I dislike.  Unfortunately,  I can't stand Amy Jennings.  I like the actress and did not mind her as Nora.  Amy has always struck me as a manipulative accomplished liar.  She seems to have a knack at saying exactly what adults want to hear even before her ghostly influences.  Her wide-eyed oh so innocent delivery reminds me of Eddie Haskell(Leave it to Beaver).
    Please don't think I hate kids.  I have two of my own and enjoy entertaining their friends.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2002, 01:50:38 AM »
      It seems if you criticize someone's favorite the walls fall down on you.  I feel all alone in the character I dislike.

Amy has always struck me as a manipulative accomplished liar.  She seems to have a knack at saying exactly what adults want to hear even before her ghostly influences.  Her wide-eyed oh so innocent delivery reminds me of Eddie Haskell(Leave it to Beaver).

OK, now you are IN FOR IT! How DARE you....oh, sorry!

Actually, you think she is an accomplished liar because she IS an accomplished liar. She is giving David lessons, and he was pretty good at it before her.....You are certainly entitled to not like her for these reasons, but they are why I DO like her. It is refreshing to see a bratty child and one that does it so well.  And even the psychology for it. She has lost her parents. Presumably ol' Tom was loving, but I have to wonder how good a father substitute he was. She lost him. Chris lies to her and disappears everytime she needs him. She has wolfie blood running through her veins. I think the miracle is that she can ACT innocent and OK.

I find her as believable a character as a little future wolf breeder could possibly be. And I guess that is part of what makes or breaks a character for me....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2002, 02:12:39 AM »
  Oh thank you, Kuanyin.  You wrote it so much better than I could.  I did not mean I didn't want her around.  I think she is a perfect replacement for the old David.  I just wish more characters caught on to her.  Caroline was getting suspicious but got distracted.  
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2002, 02:27:44 AM »
Someone has to side with the heavy. You have to admit Angelique generates lots of excitement during the show. I consider her one of the main ingredients in the DS souffle.

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2002, 05:49:09 AM »
    Gee Raineypark, I think you opened a can of worms.  It seems if you criticize someone's favorite the walls fall down on you.

Well, I certainly don't intend for anyone to get crushed under a pile of bricks....but I think you're worrying needlessly.  

If someone DISAGREES with your opinion they're more than welcome to explain why to the rest of us.  If they have to resort to ATTACKING your opinion (and/or YOU), well....just ignore them.

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2002, 06:16:08 AM »

There will be no judgements, prizes or unannounced quizes at the end of this thread. ;)

And no reproaches!

Harry Johnson draws me in because inspite of his shady past, he is handsome, sweet, a good dresser, and there is a good person there that tries to resist evil. He also has a Mom that works in a haunted mansion!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Connie

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2002, 06:28:32 AM »
I LIKE Amy!  She's a complex character and she's nobody's fool.  I enjoy watching her.

Of course, if I had to be AROUND her, I'd probably strangle her.

-CLC
P.S.  Love Eddie Haskell too.  LOL
(HIM, I'd like to smash in the head)  :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2002, 06:41:09 AM »
If someone DISAGREES with your opinion they're more than welcome to explain why to the rest of us.

Exactly.

If they have to resort to ATTACKING your opinion (and/or YOU), well....just ignore them.

Actually, those are situations the mods will handle:

3. Debate should be kept on a non-personal basis. Flaming and name-calling will not be allowed. It is never appropriate to attack, criticize, or condemn another poster. Retaliation, sharp reproof and cynicism are to be avoided. Disagreement is a natural occurrence, but as stated above, should be done in a respectful manner. Likewise, these disagreements should not be continued beyond the normal limits of interesting discourse. Argument for argument's sake is not welcome.

I've been reading some of the ongoing discussions in other topics with interest, particularly in reference to what qualifies as an answer and what doesn't.  I've brought this up before before but apparently it bears repeating:  If a poster throws a question out for discussion, they don't get to dictate or judge its answers.  Suggesting possible answers or providing a list from which to choose is helpful, but if a poster's response strays from a given list, no one may attempt to intimidate him or her for it.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2002, 06:44:20 AM »
And no reproaches!

See above.

:D

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2002, 09:19:22 AM »
Someone has to side with the heavy. You have to admit Angelique generates lots of excitement during the show. I consider her one of the main ingredients in the DS souffle.

Im with you all the way Vam! I love the character of Angelique because with her around, things are never boring! You just know that when you see her on that something exiting is going to happen.  My favorite of her was during the 1795 storyline when she first arrived from Martinique and was casting her spells all over the place and you just never knew what she'd do next.

Magda is another favorite of mine. Between the wig, accent & those long gyspy skirts of hers, she was a total hoot to watch!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2002, 02:19:08 PM »
This is pretty goofy but the character I loved to hate is Jeb Hawkes...

In the beginning it was easy to despise his evilness and control over everyone (especially Barnabas)...but as the show progressed and he wanted to save Carolyn..I became one of his biggest fans (if not the only one!).  
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2002, 03:53:20 PM »
Dear Onyx_Treasure:

The Amy Jennings/Eddie Haskell comparison.  I love it!

"Those earrings that you're wearing are especially 'charming,' Mrs. Stoddard/Cleaver (take your pick)."

Bob the Bartender, past winner of the Larry Mondello lookalike contest.