Author Topic: Where's Roger????  (Read 1258 times)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
Where's Roger????
« on: October 03, 2002, 12:25:15 AM »
In yesterday's episode Maggie mentioned to Carolyn that it had been 3 weeks since her mother's death and that she would need to start getting on with her life.

With the obvious chemistry between Louis Edmonds and Joan Bennett it makes absolutely no sense that Roger is still away on a business trip and that no one has been able to locate him.  He is a father of a young child and I can't believe that he would just leave town without leaving a number he could be reached in case of an emergency.

It would be very interesting to see his reaction to the "death" of his beloved sister.  

I know this show often doesn't reflect reality but to leave him out of the show during this time doesn't make any sense at all.    

Does anyone know if Louis Edmonds was appearing in a play or movie during this time?

Thanks

Murph

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Roger????
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 12:54:30 AM »
Hi Murph, Roger had to go away to London on a business trip.  I think that in real life Louis Edmonds was doing a play.  I believe there was something he was involved in in Dec. 68-Jan. 69 which was the period he was away.  

Yes, of course, in real life he would have flown back and been on hand.  They should have thrown something in the script about Roger being stuck in the UK for x y or z reason, but so far as I know, they just pretended he did not exist.  Wait till you see how the writers handle the situation when he comes back, too.

Sometimes the gap between DS-land and reality seemed so wide, it might as well have been the Atlantic Ocean.

Gothick

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 01:19:32 AM »
If Roger had been home (assuming that the writers gave a fig for character continuity, which by now they didn't) he would have had "his little monster" in a boarding school so fast it would have made Quentin's  head spin.  I seriously doubt he'd be wanting to be taking care of Amy, so she'd probably be in the hands of Chris or Social Services (where I think it is arguable that she belongs--Chris sure as hell isn't fit to be a guardian).

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 01:34:10 AM »

He is a father of a young child and I can't believe that he would just leave town without leaving a number he could be reached in case of an emergency.

I agree that Roger would have been a welcome addition to the plot.  But, let's face it, his paternal qualities have come and gone according to the whims of the storyline. (Yes, I think David would have been in a boarding school with Lizzie being "dead" and unable to prevent it!)

I thought it a nice touch that Bennett didn't have her false eyelashes on as she returned from the grave. Rather an unusual touch of realism, don't you think?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2002, 01:47:49 AM »
    I thought Liz looked well after her ordeal.  She had on very little make-up, no lipstick at all.  Joan Bennett looked good for an older woman.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2002, 04:40:05 AM »
One guestion is why do all the woman get buried in their night  clothes?  If it is a family thing why didn't Barnabas get buried in his P.J.'s?  Can you imagine that! HaHa.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2002, 06:03:02 AM »
If it is a family thing why didn't Barnabas get buried in his P.J.'s?

ROTFL!!!

Oh Birdie....what a hilarious mental image.  Can't you just see Willie opening up the casket for the first time....and laughing hysterically at Barnabas in his jammies?  [lghy] [lghy]

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2002, 08:42:47 AM »
I imagine Roger whoring around London, dancing in the streets like Austin Powers...

Yeah, baby!
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2002, 10:39:17 AM »
    I thought Liz looked well after her ordeal.  She had on very little make-up, no lipstick at all.  Joan Bennett looked good for an older woman.

I thought so too. I was glad that at least they had her looking natural this way because IMHO it really made the part more believable.

With the exception of Carolyn, I found the reactions of Barnabas & Jula rather amusing when Liz first showed up at Collinwood. I mean could you imagine yourself after seeing one of your loved ones die, then have them put to rest and then all of a sudden they show up at your doorstep?![wow]  I thought Barnabas especially was very calm about the whole thing.  I most likely would have been lying on the floor from passing out!  I guess by now, nothing suprises these people.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2002, 07:16:27 PM »
With the exception of Carolyn, I found the reactions of Barnabas & Jula rather amusing when Liz first showed up at Collinwood. I mean could you imagine yourself after seeing one of your loved ones die, then have them put to rest and then all of a sudden they show up at your doorstep?![wow]  I thought Barnabas especially was very calm about the whole thing.  I most likely would have been lying on the floor from passing out!  I guess by now, nothing suprises these people.

Yes!  I was thinking the same thing.  My....we're awfully calm about this  :)  I think I would have been just a wee bit freaked out!  Especially if I was a doctor that had just examined what appearted to be a dead person  :o

I also agree about the makeup.  She did look corpse-like (which only would have freaked me out all the more!!).

c'ya!

Franimal

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2002, 09:00:27 PM »
Franimal wrote:
Especially if I was a doctor that had just examined what appearted to be a dead person  

And not only once mind you,  but three times!  ;-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2002, 01:38:59 AM »
I thought it especially humorous that she felt the need to take Lizzie's pulse with her standing there talking to them! She seemed surprised to find one even then....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton