Author Topic: COLLINWOOD SURVIVOR GAME  (Read 4012 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
COLLINWOOD SURVIVOR GAME
« on: October 01, 2002, 03:37:11 AM »
Which of the following four characters was able to cope best in the supernatural setting of Collinwood and why?

Julia Hoffman

Professor Stokes

Mrs. Johnson

Harry Johnson
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: COLLINWOOD SURVIVOR GAME
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2002, 04:21:02 AM »
Maybe I'm biased, but I vote for Professor Stokes as the most adept at handling supernatural emergencies.

Mrs. Johnson would be a very close second.  Her common sense kept her grounded while the rest of the family was often caught up in some sort of paranormal mess.  If ever she encountered something out of the ordinary, (e.g. Quentin's ghost) her reaction was always believable and never over the top.  Harry wasn't on the show for very long and wasn't really exposed to the amount of weirdness that the other characters faced.  Julia did see a lot during her extended stay at the big house, and at times rose admirably to confront whatever bizarre force had entered the Collins' midst (e.g. Nicholas); other times, she would go to pieces emotionally, fretting and crying to Barnabas.

Stokes knew the most about the occult, and his background proved invaluable on many occasions.  He was intelligent and brave, able to keep his cool and refusing to be intimidated by the unknown.  When the other characters were confused or frightened, Stokes always seemed to know what to do.  Of the four, he is the only one who doesn't live at Collinwood, and I will admit that that probably gives him an advantage.  Nevertheless, I still think he's the most capable candidate.

ProfStokes

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 04:36:46 AM »
Julia and Professor Stokes were the best out of those four at handeling the supernatural elements present at Collinwood and in Collinsport.

Mrs. Johnson had the most common sense along with Professor Stokes. Mrs. Johnson was a regular person caught in all this madness surrounding her, and her reactions were genuine, as Prof Stokes said. Julia didn't always handle the things that happened at Collinwood that well.

Harry wasn't really around long enough to see how he dealt with the occurences at Collinwood.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 06:29:54 AM »
Harry Johnson was the reincarnation of Noah Gifford (1795). He had to deal with weirdness the minute the door was opened for him at Collinwood, Vicki screamed then started telling Mrs. Stoddard right then and there about when she went back into the past and shot him. Not exactly a sane conversation! Then he had to deal with Monster Man Adam, created from parts from the dead, and become a servant for him, and the weird Collins family. He also had to deal with a warlock, who used supernatural powers on him. He found Barnabas lying in the woods, after being attacked by vampire Angelique. Enough strange things went on in his short visit. I think he did a great job in handling them all. He witnessed the children at Collinwood making contact with the ghost of Quentin on an old disconnected telephone. This is where something is missing with the character of Harry Johnson. Today we saw Harry and Mrs. Johnson at the cottage, cleaning. Harry had just recently heard Amy on the phone with Quentin. Wouldn't it have made sense for Harry to be confronted by Quentin? Anyway, there's my good word put in for Harry Johnson!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2002, 06:41:48 AM »
Prof. Stokes had to be the one best equipped to handle
the dark side of Collinwood best. Followed next by
Julia.
Mrs. Johnson was scared to death of all of it.
And Harry was a total wash out.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2002, 10:45:31 PM »
Which of the following four characters was able to cope best in the supernatural setting of Collinwood and why?

Julia Hoffman

Professor Stokes

Mrs. Johnson

Harry Johnson

All four of them!! ;-)

I know I wouldn't be able to stay around in that kind of household so I give all four of them credit for doing just that. [thumb]

I thought Mrs. Johnson & Harry held up pretty good though because unlike Julia & the Professor, they really had never had any first hand experience with the supernatural before.  By this time around, Julia & Stokes seemed to be "old pro's" at it. ;-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2002, 05:12:26 AM »
I vote Mrs J because she had too much work to do
in that house all alone she didn't have time for ghosts!
i know i've been cleaning all week a ghost isn't going to stop me![ghost](well maybe Quentin!)
jennifer
Also Cheryl how do you know Harry was  Noah?
just curious!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2002, 05:45:51 AM »
Well if we're talking SURVIVOR. .i'd have to vote for Julia. . how many times did the poor woman get felled by some nastiness?  Stokes was a close second but let's not forget the number of exorcisms he mucked up .. + he wasn't around for most of the HOT action. . usually just B&J, maybe a little Willie.. . Mrs. Johnson was  a survivor.  Harry .. he hardly counts.
Julia99

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2002, 05:56:46 AM »
Cheryl how do you know Harry was  Noah?

I took it for granted that he was, since a lot of characters on Dark Shadows died and came back as someone else. I thought it was reincarnation. I don't believe in that, but I thought that's what happened on the show. There were also background similarities between Noah and Harry. Both had been in prison, and both were looking for ways to make a dishonest dollar.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2002, 06:07:53 AM »
Mrs. Johnson was affected but survived far more than I ever would. She handled all the weird events at Collinwood like a professional. Stokes, of course, being more worldly, seemed to show a more intellectual interest in the happenings. Harry---I don't know. His appearances were too few and far between. Julia hung in there because of Barnabas.
                             Misty's analysis.
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Connie

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2002, 06:47:35 AM »
Well if we're talking SURVIVOR. .i'd have to vote for Julia. . how many times did the poor woman get felled by some nastiness?  Stokes was a close second but let's not forget the number of exorcisms he mucked up .. + he wasn't around for most of the HOT action. . usually just B&J, maybe a little Willie.. . Mrs. Johnson was  a survivor.  Harry .. he hardly counts.

I agree.  It's JULIA hands down.  Mrs. Johnson?  She's had the b'Jesus scared out of her a few times, but big deal.  Harry?  Puleeze...I don't even know what he's doing on the list.  Why isn't Willie on the list?  Jeez - the horrible things HE'S been through!  Stokes was involved in problem solving, but he never came close to going through all the crap Julia did.  This woman's been the victim of more than one vampire, she's been held hostage, she's been possessed, survived attempts on her life, and been back and forth between so many time periods it's a wonder she knows her own name.  I mean this woman has racked up so many time travel points, she's probably been awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award by the Time Travel Association of America.  

And yet!  Through it all....she hasn't lost her marbles.  She remains strong and focused.  Why?  Why has she endured everything and all???  ONE REASON!

"I LOVE that man of mine."

LOL
;)

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2002, 07:28:46 AM »
I change my vote. Connie's reasoning made me
rethink. Plus that picture help alot! ROTFLOL!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2002, 08:39:17 AM »
I took it for granted that he was, since a lot of characters on Dark Shadows died and came back as someone else. I thought it was reincarnation. I don't believe in that, but I thought that's what happened on the show. There were also background similarities between Noah and Harry. Both had been in prison, and both were looking for ways to make a dishonest dollar.

oh i can see what you mean makes sense!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2002, 12:56:33 PM »
 Why isn't Willie on the list?

He ended up in Wyndcliff once...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Connie

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2002, 04:18:05 PM »
He ended up in Wyndcliff once...

Granted, but he didn't end up there permanantly.  (It was just a little rest stop)  LOL
He was usually there to get Barnabas out of jams, take care of him, and put up with all of Barnabas and Julia's shenanigans.  He's worse for wear, but he's a SURVIVOR!

-CLC