Poll

Which of the following DS women (WITHOUT the involvement of any supernatural powers) would make the most effective lovemakers?

Earlier Maggie (as Joe Haskell's financee, victim of Barnabas Collins, girlfriend of Nicholas Blair; Maggie with long brown-red hair shorn in bangs)
Later Maggie ( as governess of Collinwood, girlfriend to Barnabas, Quentin, Sebastian Shaw; Maggie with dark hair, without bangs)
Angelique
Carolyn Stoddard Hawkes
Victoria Winters Clark
Roxanne Drew (Parallel Time)
Roxanne Drew (Real Time)
Olivia Corey
Josette DuPres
Millicent Collins Forbes
Rachel Drummond
Lady Kitty Hampshire
Charity Trask (as herself)
Charity Trask (possessed by Pansy Faye's spirit)
Maggie Evans Collins ( Parallel Time)
Angelique Stokes ( Parallel Time)
Carolyn Loomis (Parallel Time)
Alexis Stokes ( Parallel Time)
Daphne Harridge
Catherine Harridge (1841 PT)
Other (please opine in group message posts)

Author Topic: DS women as lovemakers.  (Read 7818 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
DS women as lovemakers.
« on: November 12, 2005, 08:44:57 PM »
If you feel two or more of the above are equally good lovemakers, feel free to vote for both/all of them.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS women as lovemakers. (Technical problem in poll)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 04:04:12 AM »
*message deleted*
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: DS women as lovemakers.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 03:37:25 PM »
I think first of Marie Wallace, but somehow her characters themselves don't really quailfy.   Then, Pansy Faye Trask, but then again... if Angelique were really after you, if you were Barnabas in other words, well, she'd... really make that moment count, don't you think?!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 09:02:57 PM »
I sure wouldn't complain about doing the research to find out.  ;)
Help us create the ultimate  Dark Shadows EncyclopediaLearn everything there is to know about the world of Dark Shadows at the CollinWiki!

http://darkshadows.wikicities.com

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 10:18:02 PM »
Julia, of course.  Underneath that staid tweed exterior lurks a VOLCANO of female passion, seething to let the inner lava fly!

Just one fan's opinion,

G.

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 03:53:29 AM »
Some personal thoughts: Angelique is probably the most hotblooded of DS women lovemakers, but may experience the pitfall of being the one most likely to put the demands on her partner, and spoil things in the process.

Earlier Maggie is probably the sweetest and nicest of the DS women lovemakers.

Lady Kitty Hampshire is probably the smartest and most worldly-wise of the DS women lovemakers.

Charity/Pansy Faye is probably the most outspoken of them all.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 04:53:09 AM »
Okay folks, if no one else will do it, leave it to me.

I've  been glaring at this topic for two days wondering what the f*ck it means.

I haven't really heard of anyone calling anyone else a "lovemaker" since around 1897.  So, in the 21st century, what do we really mean, when we refer to a woman (or a group of women) as a lovemaker(s)??

What the Hell is a "lovemaker?"

Aren't we really asking, "which chick would be hottest in the sack?"  And if so, why not just come right-out and ask?  This isn't 1897, after all.

To be honest -- and not trying to be offensive, but Hell -- this has got to be the strangest, most sexist post I have ever seen on the message board.  And I am not even a chick.

Does it really take a gay-boy to recognize blatant sexism when he see it?

Back to the topic -- I'd vote for Chris or Quentin.  Now those dudes would be great "lovemakers."

WTF??

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 06:00:04 AM »
To be honest -- and not trying to be offensive, but Hell -- this has got to be the strangest, most sexist post I have ever seen on the message board.  And I am not even a chick.

No, it doesn't.  As a chick, I do think that asking which female character would make a better lover is sexist (true, the term "lovemaker" seems out of place, but I don't see the connection to sexism), though I don't find it any more sexist than discussing which DS hunk looks better shirtless.  As the Executive Moderator, I don't feel that either of those subjects hurts anybody.  And as a feminist, which I feel is all about having the freedom to choose, I choose to participate only in those polls that interest me.  Your honesty is appreciated, Fletcher, but if a poll or its phrasing is bothering you, you could try simply ignoring it.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 07:58:26 AM »
I haven't really heard of anyone calling anyone else a "lovemaker" since around 1897.
It's hardly an archaic term or a gendered one. It's used in the Jimi Hendrix song "Foxy Lady," which was later featured prominently in the Wayne's World movie. In the 1970's, soul singer Betty Wright had a song called "Let Me Be Your Love Maker." It was later covered by Foreigner (a male group) as "Love Maker." And Tom Jones had a song called "One Night Only Love Maker." Granted, it's not as commonly used as "lover," but the term can be and is applied to either sex.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 03:13:22 PM »
Sorry if my attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor came across as serious.  I really didn't mean it as a serious criticism.  I just thought the phrasing came across as a bit archaic, and deserved a little friendly jab.  I guess the next time I try to be funny, I'll need to try a little harder.  But really, would I use the term "chick" in a serious protest of sexism?

And I agree with you Midnite,  it is typically my practice to simply ignore posts that offend, bother, or bore me.  That's the best way to go, I think.

Again, sorry if my attempt at humor came out the wrong way. 

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 04:42:40 PM »
if Angelique were really after you, if you were Barnabas in other words, well, she'd... really make that moment count, don't you think?!

You betcha!  LOL

But anyway.......Eh!  I don't find asking which female character would make the best lover sexist.  It's kind of an interesting topic (somehow).  What I find slightly disturbing is the glaring omission of some of the older, more "mature" characters on the show.  Jeez - what about Julia, or maybe Flora Collins? (Now, THERE'S someone!  A romance novelist.)  And hey - what about poor Mrs. Johnson?  Behind that repressed exterior lies......etc.[lghy]

Anyway, I'm with Gothick.  It's Julia all the way.

;D

PS  Though not qualified to judge, I can't imagine anyone on the list as being great in the sack or whatever.  Maybe Angelique, if anyone.

PPS  Don't have the list in front of me but don't remember seeing Samantha Collins.  Also, BETH!
       Actually, I think I might change my vote to Magda!  Firey......uninhibited......
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 05:51:53 PM »
Fletcher,

No problem.  :D  Try smileys, and keep in mind that Forum membership is roughly 50% female.  ;)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 06:16:26 PM »
Okay, my thoughts...

Angelique-probably was a tiger in the sack w/Barnabas (probably scared the hell out of him too, LOL!)
Carolyn-she was such a slut wasn't she?   ;)
Charity-another slut, practically a hooker!  <beg>
Angelique Stokes-see above for other Angie, but replace Barnie w/Quentin.   ;D
Catherine-how could she NOT be passionate when Bramwell was so passionate w/her.  I see the two of them breeding like rabbits personally.  ;  Besides, didn't she say in one episode (1203?) "Don't be gentle!"  Guess she likes it on the rough side, LOL!   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 09:06:25 PM »
Okay folks, if no one else will do it, leave it to me. 

I've  been glaring at this topic for two days wondering what the f*ck it means. 

I haven't really heard of anyone calling anyone else a "lovemaker" since around 1897.  So, in the 21st century, what do we really mean, when we refer to a woman (or a group of women) as a lovemaker(s)?? 

What the Hell is a "lovemaker?"

Aren't we really asking, "which chick would be hottest in the sack?"  And if so, why not just come right-out and ask?  This isn't 1897, after all.

Back to the topic -- I'd vote for Chris or Quentin.  Now those dudes would be great "lovemakers."

WTF??

Various remarks....

Yet one more reason for me to hate the twenty-first century.

This is pretty obviously either a sexist post, or one that just angrily denies the concept or possibilty of anything but mechanical sex.     I'm angry over the way society's going, over how shallow and mindless and thoughtless it's getting, and the fact that I don't see anything coming along to stop it.     I try very hard to avoid getting (extremely) bitterly disillusioned, to the point where I lash out at any implication that there might be real emotion or passion in the world, just because i don't find it in the world.   Which I don't.   But if I let myself be turned into a hostile jerk over it, the other side wins and I personally lose more than I could ever express in words.

Now I'll look at how other people responded to this.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 09:47:15 PM »
What, no mention of either Grand-Ma-Ma Edith Collins or "someone's" personal favorite, Bathia Mapes, as ageless paragons of Dark Shadows/AARP pulchritude?

You can talk all you want about sexism, but what about age discrimination?  Heck, only yesterday Kathleen Turner was publicly lamenting the fact that as a more "mature" actor (read: past the BIG 5-0), she had to actually hide the fact that she was sufferring from arthritis, for the fear of not being offered any more leading/prominent roles.

And as far as I'm concerned, as a "more mature" cousin, Ms. Turner still looks darned good (as do Edith and Bathia!).  Yes, it was Laura Murdoch Collins (or, then again, was it Charles Delaware Tate?) who wisely said: "Age is a state of mind."   My sentiments completely, and I'd have a heck of a lot more to say about sexy seniors, if I weren't suffering from a middle-aged moment right this very second!

Excuse me, while I go and begin my memory exercises .  Now let's see, Quentin Collins I was married to that harridan, Samantha Drew Collins, and Quentin Collins II was married to that gypsy woman, Julianka...or was he married to Maria Ouspensya....?